Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-14-2015, 6:19 PM Reply   
I'm looking at purchasing a house on lake Wylie SC. The home is a really nice lot but it's on the end of a small cove. The water is only 2ft deep at the dock. Does anyone know if dredging is usually permitted on the lake. My realtor didn't really know. She was going to look into it but I thought I would do some searching. She didn't think it would be permitted but I did find some companies that advertise it for the lake.
Thoughts?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-15-2015, 6:01 AM Reply   
Like anything else on the lake, you would more than likely need a permit. I dont know exactly from who, because the lake is managed by Duke Energy. I would check with those that advertise the dredging or those that do docks.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-15-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailem View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a house on lake Wylie SC. The home is a really nice lot but it's on the end of a small cove. The water is only 2ft deep at the dock. Does anyone know if dredging is usually permitted on the lake. My realtor didn't really know. She was going to look into it but I thought I would do some searching. She didn't think it would be permitted but I did find some companies that advertise it for the lake.
Thoughts?
Unfortunately, anytime you want to modify the lake bed you most likely need DEC to sign off as well.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2015, 4:03 AM Reply   
What part of Lake Wylie? Some parts of Lake Wylie duke does not allow many if any changes. But yes I have seen dredgers all over the place through the years. In order to dredge a cove you may have to have all the other homes sign off on it as well. Call duke energy and they will give you all the info you need on permitting. They labeled some areas as natural habitat and those can not be disturbed. I was going to buy a home on the Belmont side but Duke would not allow me to alter any structure or any of the foliage on shore. Sucked!
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-16-2015, 12:02 PM Reply   
Tega Cay area.
I heard back and Duke would have to sign off along with 4 or 5 other agencies. Looking at 10-15k. The house is already at the top of my price rang and needs work. I thought the lake access would make it worth it but I don't think I could make it all work.
Thanks
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2015, 3:44 PM Reply   
Nailem, sorry i totally missed you email. You can get it pumped for about 6 k but you have to have a place to put the residual. Tega cay has a sewage issue, always backing up and overflowing, what is your budget?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2015, 3:47 PM Reply   
on the nc side by belmont and gastonia, there are new homes going up with a community dock in the neighborhood, so you can golf cart it to the boat, same with river hills, although some of the homes are not perfect, you can keep your boat at there marina, and cruse over in the cart.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-17-2015, 6:28 AM Reply   
Yeah I live in Tega Cay and its a weird place but love access to the water. The sewage backing up does affect 2 of the pumping stations and thankfully I am no where near those.

The Belmont side in NC is very nice. The further north you go on the lake make sure the dock is in place. That is where you have the most problems with docks etc and duke not allowing any more to be built. There are some skecthy places when the water is low but for the most part the lake is bouyed pretty well.

If you ever need a tour of the lake or areas give me a shout.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-17-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I had an interview on Monday and my wife and kids are heading home today Tuesday.
Doug, no problem, I rarely think to check my pm box here, and its kind of an odd question for a perfect stranger to ask. My job will be near the entrance to Tega Cay. My budget is 350k although I would like to stay closer to 300k. The homes we looked at in Tega Cay needed a lot of work and where stacked properties. Most where 350k+ and needed about 30-50k to make nice.
We ended up liking some homes in Lake Forest community and Somerset at Autumn Cove. No lake access but some had lake view. Closest marina I think is Wylie so it would be a 10-15 drive. Not the end of the world but we really wanted to be able to have the boat within bike riding or golf cart distance. They are in the other side of the lake in SC. Clover school district.
We didn't look at any homes in NC, how are the schools around Belmont? How are the taxes around Belmont? Taxes in the communities we like where roughly $1200/yr on a 300k house. Tega Cay was around 3000 on a 300k.
We actually rented a house in Belmont for our summer vacation this year. This was all before this job opportunity.
When I get home I will search around Belmont. Any suggestions on communities?
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-17-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
We looked at a couple in river hills. One home was really nice but i wasn't sure how the country club membership cost structure worked. The club house was closed so i was going to look it up when I got home.