Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       04-28-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
Recently(Friday night) purchased a alightly used(3900 miles) 2015 Audi Q5. We were able to take home the vehicle for the weekend, but was told we needed to bring it back for a final inspection on monday, which we did. Upon inspection we are now being told that there is a bad transmission seal and that they are going to have to replace the entire transmission. The transmission comes from germany and will take at least two weeks to repair. For any Audi owners out there does this sound normal to you? Also the car was not precertified when we purchased the it but did come with a 4 year 50K mile bumper to bumper warranty. There was an option for the 6 year 100k warranty but we passed on that. We still have time to have teh vehicle certified, would it be wise to now move forward and add that on? thanks.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2015, 2:40 PM Reply   
return the car and get your money back.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2015, 2:44 PM Reply   
I do recall my 2011 s4 had a bad rear diff seal and it took about a week for them to get the part. That has been the only issue I ever had with the car. other than that it has been awesome. Just remember, any fixes after the warranty is up is going to cost some $$.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-28-2015, 3:44 PM Reply   
My 2014 S4 Wagon has been rock solid so far. Love it.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-28-2015, 3:47 PM Reply   
Love my Audi, I have a s4, but maintenance and anything that goes wrong with them is expensive and can take a long time to get fixed. Seems legit to me.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-28-2015, 5:34 PM Reply   
We purchased our Q7 certified pre owned with Audi Care. The certification process replaced the rotors calipers,pads, all fluids, filters, tires, etc on a vehicle with only 19K miles plus added an additional 50K mile bumper to bumper warrenty on top of the remaining factory warrenty. With the Audi Care and warrenty we haven't paid for anything but fuel. i would definitely recommend the certified pre owned.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-28-2015, 5:40 PM Reply   
Wish we could get that here
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-28-2015, 5:52 PM Reply   
You are buying one of the most expensive brands there is to maintain . I wouldn't even conciser a German car because of repair cost. If you are dead set on it buy the best and longest warranty you can . The cost of the warranty will be quickly offset by the first or second repair . I would go with Lexus or Acura for high end bullet proof brands. Did they tell you how much that trans would be if it wasn't covered???
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       04-28-2015, 9:14 PM Reply   
thanks for the responses,

Froggy- we have the 50k mile warranty, but with this tranmission issue we want them to give us the 100k bumper to bumber war. That is a great point about how much it would be to replace i will make sure i ask them tomorrow. Funny you should mention the ACura and Lexus, we were this close to getting a brand new Acura RDX.

Acurtis - the wife wants to walk away form it. I am a little torn, but i also do not in any way want to be dealing with issues liek this for the life of the vehicle, even with the warranty. what was your experience with Audi?

Whats not making things any better is they have put us in A Kia sportage while they look for an adaquate loaner car for the two plus weeks we wait.

Last edited by bdew; 04-28-2015 at 9:17 PM.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-29-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Listen to Adam. Run as fast as you can.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-29-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
Not everyone makes automobile decisions on economics. Not people that love to drive anyway.

I prefer the style and performance of a German car myself, knowing that it's going to cost me big time when things go out. Yes I could have a Japanese car that looks like every other car on the road and isn't as fun (for me), and would be cheaper to drive. They just don't put a smile on my face the way that my M5 does when it starts up....which at the moment needs a few thousand dollars of love.

It sounds like you're covered with the warranty. Get the transmission fixed and keep it if you love the car.

On an unrelated subject.....I spent the last two days ripping around in an X5M. What a beast!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-29-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
I disagree. It is brand new and already having MAJOR mechanical problems. If anything just pick out a different Q5. You don't want to mess with a lemon
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-29-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
KIA Sportage??? WTF. You are obviously not buying from a factory authorized Audi dealer. Dump that one and get a certified pre-owned from a dealer so you get the full experience of owning a German car and the warranty that goes with it. The dealer experience is a big part of it IMO. They treat us so good at our Audi dealer. I will definitely buy from them again.

As a side note if I had already purchased the car and was told that they would be replacing the entire transmission instead of fixing the one that was in it I would consider it a good thing. I would still run from this one if you haven’t inked the deal
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       04-29-2015, 5:22 PM Reply   
We have decided to not take the used one and are now looking at new ones. Although the wife and i didnt quite agree, i thought we should let them fix and take a 100k bumper to bumper but...happy wife=happy life, and if that thing broke down again in the next 10-15k miles i would never hear then end of it.

Loved the feeling of driving the q5, although this is coming from a 2005 jeep cherokee, so not much to compare to

Darrin, they said they were prepping a new loaner q5 and we should have it by the end of the week. Until then rockin' the sportage!!!

The dealer has been very responsive so far and totally understands us not wanting to take the used Q5, with the 2016 coming in soon we hoping to be able to get a decent deal on a new 2015.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2015, 7:20 AM Reply   
If the wife is hesitant - than dump it!!!! The first time something else happens, no matter how small, you will be the reason cause she told you so.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-07-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Not everyone makes automobile decisions on economics. Not people that love to drive anyway.

I prefer the style and performance of a German car myself, knowing that it's going to cost me big time when things go out. Yes I could have a Japanese car that looks like every other car on the road and isn't as fun (for me), and would be cheaper to drive. They just don't put a smile on my face the way that my M5 does when it starts up....which at the moment needs a few thousand dollars of love.

It sounds like you're covered with the warranty. Get the transmission fixed and keep it if you love the car.

On an unrelated subject.....I spent the last two days ripping around in an X5M. What a beast!
I can relate to this. I have an M3 convertible for my "fun and sun" car and an Audi S6 Avant for my snow/rain/utility car. Are they "practical"? Maybe not. But are they fun as hell and rewarding? Damn straight they are.

Oftentimes cars aren't just 'transportation'.