Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-24-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
I was just wondering what a politcally correct way of asking for gas money is? How much do you guys expect people to chip in? What about the ones that just come out to lounge, go out for dinner, or just spot? We never know how to bring up the subject if people don't offer. Also what about when a few boats tie up and one is used for the wakeboarding? We just got a new boat and I think ours will be used alot more this year. That is a tough one because they are using boat gas as well, but we are using more. It's easy to say don't take them if they don't pay but people trade off boats or just show up or they just have no idea how much it costs to own a boat.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
bitch about the price of gas goin' up. then casually say, "if you can help out by chipping in, i'd totally appreciate it."

but really, you shouldn't have to ask. friends should understand that chipping in for gas is a given.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
In the boat i ride in, I always chip in... usually about 5-10 bucks a day... if I rode max for 20 mins. There are other people that go ride but I hadnt seen any of them chip in and I had to admit it bothered me because my friend who owns the boat never asked them to, even thought I know he expected them to chip in too. But then one day me and my boyfriend went to buy gas and we asked my friend how much to buy, he said "you guys put $20, and then you (pointing at another friend) can put $20 more" We had been riding the whole weekend and they chipped for gas that day, but I don't know if they got the message.
And i think that people that go just to lounge should bring drinks and snacks.

If your friends dont chip in without you saying something, you can get one of your friends that do chip in and make a little sketch where he gives you money for gas in front of the others that don't, and you telling him/her "Thanks, I really appreciate it, with gas prices going up and with the boat maintenance expenses...." I think they'll get the msg.

If this fails, make yourself a "My boat runs on gas not on Thank You" T shirt and wear it everytime you go riding.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-26-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. Love the t-shirt idea
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-26-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Gary (sangerv215guy) has that same quote as a sticker on the back of his boat. You can't get out of the water without seeing it.

We bought a canning jar, felt and puffy paint from the craft store and made a "Fuel Fund" container. It sits in one of the cup holders by the glove box. It's a nice silent reminder that gas money is appreciated.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-26-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
When you invite people on the boat and you are reminding them to bring their towels and water, just add 5 gallons of 89 Oct. gas. If they say they don't have a container for gas, then ask them to bring $10 for a Nauti, $12 for a Skier's Choice and $20 for a Malibu these days.

Most of the 3rds from wakeworld know to bring $$$, the other choice is make a plant. Talk to one of your friends who comes out alot and have them make a big deal about giving you cash for gas in front of the newbies.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-01-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
I saw a sticker on a motorhome that was super old the other day. Thought that it had a sticker on it that every boat needs. It said

"Grass, Cash, or Ass. . . Nobody rides for free"
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-01-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
I'm lucky in that I have a regular riding crew that understands to chip in for gas. If we have a new rider out they see everyone else handing over cash, so they will get the idea. First timers don't pay, but if you become a regular it would be nice to chip in a bit. I'm not really hard on my crew though, I make more money than they do and have no bills, I figure I can cover their gas most of the time.
The "Fuel Fund" jar is a good idea though.
Old     (fungirl)      Join Date: May 2001       05-02-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
I personally dont have a boat but I go out with my friend quite a bit. I always chip in around $20. She usually doesnt ask for gas money but I have no problem asking for gas money for her. I just say that Ive been designated to collect some $ for gas. If we are getting a group together to go out I will send out an 'reminder' email that says to bring food/drink/gas money.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
I don't have a boat, so I usually pitch in $20 per day. If someone new is on the boat, I'll give the money in front of the new person to kind of give them a hint. But I know several guys w/boats and when they ride each other's boats they don't donate $$, they alternate boats that we take out. My friends also have a motto: "gas, grass or *ss." Although I've never seen them impose anything except the gas rule!!

(Message edited by kylielogan on May 02, 2006)
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-02-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
I have that "ass, grass, or gas. Noone rides for free" sticker on my board.
Not real sure theres a "politicly correct" way to ask for money but i'm thinking that sticker sure comes close.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-08-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
I like the shirt idea.
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-08-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Xgirl what was the web site for the sticker?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-08-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
Greg, I got it at Daytona bike week. Its a helmet sticker which are small.
Did a little research for ya though (Google). They're only a buck.

http://www.helmet-stickers.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2087
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-08-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the leg work. I just don't know if I can spend that much. J/k.
Old     (bat0525)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-11-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
THIS BOAT DOESN'T RUN ON THANK-YOU'S.
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-11-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
I have kicked around several Ideas on how to deal with this topic Gas Money. I think I have found a solution. I'm installing a Taxi Cab Meter in my boat. That way there no gray area you ride 10 miles or 20 min ( falling will be expressive as the meter just keeps running like when your stuck in traffic.) you'll pay what the meter says after each ride. LOL I'm just kidding around, but I do openly ask my regular none boat owning ( boat owners usually through gas money down with out question) riders for gas money. If you don't contribute a faire amount regularly you go to the end of that need a third list real fast.

OH and I have that ASS GAS OR GRASS Sticker too. LOL