Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
I think I want to buy a helmet, but I've never tried one on, nor can I try one on before buying (no board shops in my country), so I wanted to know which one do you girls like? Which one is more comfortable and makes you head hurt less when you faceplant! I wont be doing any sliders for now, but I've heard a helmet helps a lot when taking hard falls.
Thanks for your input!
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
If you are just riding there are many thoughts on this topic. My daughter used to wear a helmet sometimes when she just rode. Then once she was at a comp and just fell on a 180. Since she is only 7 she is very flexible, and the board came up and hit her in the back of the head and had to get 10 staples (she did not come out of her bindings). Since this I have talked with countless pro's and coaches. They all say this was a freak deal and encouraged her to NOT wear a helmet since there is actually a double impact when you hit the water. I have found out that more people have got hurt wearing a helmet due to the helmet not fitting properly. The helmet can come down and beak your nose or go back and break your neck. Adults will not have as much of an issue since the helmets will better fit a larger head. With that said everyone will say that if you are hitting a fixed object (slider/kicker) you always want to wear a helmet. This is just my two cents and what I have found out and ultimately that decision MUST be solely the riders. My daughter after talking with many coaches such as Ferraro and Briscoe has decided not to wear a helmet unless she is doing sliders.

Now to your ? she loves the fit and comfort of the Shred Ready Vixen. It is about $120 but the best fitting she has had. Check them out at www.shredready.com It has a great strap system also. By far the best out there.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for your input! I wont buy a helmet then! There are no sliders in my country (yet! but we're working on it) so I dont need to go and buy one just yet...

Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       03-14-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
Taylor: To me what happened to you daughter is not a freak deal. I am 20 and i have scorpioned (board hitting you in the back of the head) about 4 times prior to cutting my head open. The first 4 times i never cut my head open, i did knock myself out a few times though but the fifth time i cut my head open. So i'm just letting you know that I have heard of this happening to other people, and i would have to say it isn't so uncommon as people are making it sound.
Cris: I have a protech ace wake and while it does annoy me and it does hurt sometimes if you land the wrong way and the helmet gets pulled the opposite way it has saved my head from the wrath of my board many times. My .02 on the subject is if you are trying to progress (doing tricks etc) i would get one. But this topic has been brought up many many times and you will always have people on both sides of the fence.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
I wanted to get one because I heard of people getting concussions while trying the 360s, and they were men who I would guess are bigger and stronger than me, so I got scared. I dont want to have a concussion! Which model protech ace helmet do you have?
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-16-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
I hated my helmut the first year I had it and didn't wear it much, than I tried it again last year and found it helped keep the water out of my ears as well. Now I wear it all the time. Sorry it's still packed away for winter here so I'm not sure the brand.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-19-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Cris...buy a helmet and wear it everytime you ride. Check out this thread. http//www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/279513.html?1140562003
Don't let anyone tell you it is more dangerous with a helmet. Studies have proven brain deceleration is reduced with a helmet thus reducing the incidence of concussions. I used to get massive headaches from hitting my head and I was afraid to get more aggressive. The helmet has eliminated the headaches and I have more confidence pushing myself to go harder. Any helmet will hit your nose if it doesn't fit right. I wear the shred ready vixen. Has a great fitting system. www.shredready.com Also check out the new one coming out on the thread listed above.

By the way, how was wakeboard camp?

Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-19-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
Hey! Thanks for your reply... I will buy a helmet... Im going to check out the vixen... I just have to wait till I find someone who wants to bring me a helmet from the States!

Camp was good, I was supposed to go for 2 days but after day one I got this virus, I was throwing up and felt really bad... I still wanted to go but my parents said no!

But I had a great time... water was freezing and had a really bad faceplant where I honestly thought my face had fallen off! But I got really good on my toeside jumps and my w2w grabs! Also worked on my FS 180s. The bad thing was I never got to meet Dean because he was going to be there on the 2nd day and I couldnt go!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-19-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Cris....Can't shred ready ship one down to you?