Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-16-2015, 2:37 PM Reply   
I have a new Soulcraft Da Honu and am loving it! I have fins for dual and twinzer. I don't really like the twinzer as the tail seems too locked in. I really like the dual fins but they are 5+ inches tall and I can't come close to doing a 360 as I can't get them to release. Should I get different fins or learn a better technique? I could do a 360 with my Hyperlite Broadcast 5' 6".

Thanks!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-16-2015, 2:49 PM Reply   
I will trade you out of your problem board for a Lakewakes bean hybrid
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-16-2015, 3:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the offer brewkettle but I really like this board a lot. I've only been out 4 times on it and feel that I'm just tapping into its potential. Just today I better learned how to generate speed and recovered from much farther back in the wave than I have with any other board. Does a Lakewakes bean hybrid spin easily?
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-16-2015, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yes
The Bean is a hybrid board that either rides as as a skim or surf . Google is your friend.

I would say the standard twinzer set up would be the Futures v2f4 with forward canard fins.
When set correct they add extra speed.
You may need to try or a smaller V2 foils

The bean hybrid will make you happy.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-16-2015, 4:38 PM Reply   
Jeff pull the canards and swap in some WCT's or chaos fins... Don't trade it off, I think lakewakes wants to get his hands on it for some fresh ideas...
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-16-2015, 4:55 PM Reply   
Generally if you remove canard fins you looae speed , and not rotational ability..
Look for some smaller fins.
Using upright fins in a standatd fin set up set at 11" or more will make the board super loose to ride unless these upright fins are set with quad..

I plan to to use your board as a part or my durability test against Lakewakes boards.
High msrp dont mean better products.
I pay shipping back and board will be a car on fiber white wash with color.
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-16-2015, 6:42 PM Reply   
Thanks BenHolloway. I think I have the Futures Rasta WCT Fins now.

Last edited by jkaser; 05-16-2015 at 6:43 PM. Reason: Additional clarity
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-16-2015, 7:10 PM Reply   
If you like the board then you may need to unload the rear. True surfing is about constant movement,
Learn the board before you judge it.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-16-2015, 8:52 PM Reply   
Jeff, if looking for smaller fins look at the futures ctg (grom version of a WCT/Kelly slater fin. Or I may be biased but I am partial to the Chaos Pro fins. Different board will likely require some relearning. Couple different tactics to whipping a 360 of a big surf board. Where are you getting hung up?

www.shredstixxusa.com

Nick
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-17-2015, 6:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. My problem Nick is that I turn 90 to the boat and the tail just stops and I fall back toward the boat.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
You need to rotate it like a surfboard, not like a skimboard.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-17-2015, 5:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, what Mitch is saying. So with a surfboard it takes more push on your back foot to muscle the tail around. You will also need to put some pressure on your front foot to lift the tail/fins out of the water. Coupled with all these over arching themes. Think of the wave like a pole you grabbing are spinning around. Throw you back hand into the wave, rotate your shoulders and head around while making the turn 90 -180 into the wave. During the rotation the fins will catch and continue your rotation to bring you back around, but you need your shoulders, hips and head moving/rotating.

Nick
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-18-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
Thanks so much for the tips. I'll try those this weekend!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-19-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
No Worries.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
Get the Chaos pro fins, they are great! Do not trade it! Brewkettle,in the OP he says he loves his Da Honu, why are you trolling???
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-20-2015, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thanks tonyv420 for the suggestion! I searched but can't find the Chaos pro fins. Are the pro fins a particular model or their line of fins? Also, I thought Brewkettle was kidding as I truly am loving this Da Honu board. I love the speed, handling and that it matches my boat . I realized when he wanted to do durability testing that he wasn't kidding.

Anyway, I'm getting more and more used to how this board works and am convinced with the great advice from you and others on this forum that I will be doing 360's!
Attached Images

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-20-2015, 4:16 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Here is a direct link:
http://shredstixxusa.com/wakesurffin...-vectored-foil

Nick
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-20-2015, 5:46 PM Reply   
Thanks Chaos! How will these perform differently than the FUTURES RASTA WCT that I currently have? They seem to be about the same size/height. Also, will these work with the futures C5 I have for a twinzer set-up? It doesn't look like the Chaos twinzer fins would work as I have a set screw coming in 90 defy to the fin.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-20-2015, 6:41 PM Reply   
The Chaos C5 is designed for the Futures C5 box.

The Chaos fins have a lot less rake than the WCTs are about 1/4" shorter, and have a vectored foil. They will be faster and more responsive than the WCTs. The narrower tip will release better for spins.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-20-2015, 6:44 PM Reply   
Not to mention the bright orange will look killer with your board.
Attached Images

Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-20-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
They are on order Nick! Can't wait to give them a try and yes, I ordered the orange ones
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       05-21-2015, 1:53 AM Reply   
Wow orange fins will look amazing with your board.

Jeff, there's a rule in this world, "Do never trade a Soulcraft boar" ah ah ah..

Keep it, try different setup, and I'm sure you will be happy and do a lot of 360...

Have a nice summer
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-21-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
Thank you for your order Jeff. Your fins are packed and shipped. You should see them in the next couple days.

Thanks again, Nick
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-21-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
Thanks Nick and Smooky! Can't wait to give them a try....
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-21-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
Loving your da Honu! gonna look sick with those orange fins!!!
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-29-2015, 4:38 PM Reply   
Nick,

I love the new Chaos fins! Have had several runs setup as twinzer but haven't tried just 2 fins yet. They do seem faster and I like the way they handle. 1 question, the blind hole in the small fins don't line up with the locking screw so I'm having to tighten them too much as I'm afraid I will lose them. It seems to be stressing the fins as well. Is there anything I can do?

Also, I'm still not able to release them for spins but I'm sure it's my technique

Thanks

Last edited by jkaser; 05-29-2015 at 4:40 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-29-2015, 4:41 PM Reply   
Thanks tony! I think the board looks great with the orange fins!