Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-23-2017, 8:38 PM Reply   
As someone who likes photography but doesn't have enough time to really dedicate to it, I prefer mirrorless camera options. I have the Sony right now but am able to get a used Panasonic for about the same price. I'm wondering if it is worth the upgrade for what I'm using them for. I'll shoot landscapes, concerts (knowing no mirrorless is great in low light) and my kids, who are both under 4 and constantly moving.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-24-2017, 9:55 AM Reply   
Lumix shooter here. I have a Gh5 now and love it, and have also used a bunch of the cameras in the Panasonic line. The GX85 is a great camera and you have to love how compact and light the system is as a whole. Compared to what you have it will definitely be a solid upgrade as far as being able to really customize functions for what you shoot. Video specs on the Panasonics tend to be a step ahead of comparable Sony cameras, but I'm not sure if that is important to you or not. You're definitely spot on about low light not being great on the GX85, but there are mirrorless cameras that are amazing in low light. Definitely a solid bump in price, but the Sony A7 and A9 series cameras have full frame sensors that allow them to perform amazingly at high ISO. If you really need the low light performance those are the only way to go, but they are super expensive, professional quality cameras. Hope this helps!
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-24-2017, 8:07 PM Reply   
Appreciate the info. I've read that the Sony has a slightly larger sensor. In your opinion do you think there would be any noticeable drop off in lower light settings when using the GX85 over the A5000?
Old     (SupremeDevice)      Join Date: Oct 2017       10-26-2017, 9:28 AM Reply   
Remember lens selection is arguably more important than the camera for low light shooting. The lumix will be more than capable of some great low light (concert, Milky Way etc) shots paired with a fast lens. There are a ton of lenses out there for m43 so you need to think about what kind of system you want to invest in.