Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-17-2020, 10:41 AM Reply   
Just as the title says I’m looking for my first wake boat. Coming from a dd sunsetter. Family still skis. Kids surf and tube as well and looking to getting into surfing a little myself. A couple of caveats. The boat has to be 35k or under, towable a short distance with a moddified 4Runner (bags and transmission cooler and brake controller) and be able to be stored in a standard garage. I will not be purchasing until the Corona boat prices have calmed down (possibly this winter). I was thinking axis a20 but let me know what you all think.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-17-2020, 11:20 PM Reply   
how deep is your garage? There is no "standard" garage, so thats going to be 1 aspect, also a folding tower, and prob a 22 ft or smaller. I had an 04 4runner, and it towed my VLX without any issues, dual axle trailer.

possibles,
centurion avalanche, great for surfing
mooba mojo
Bu vride,
older san 210
Tige z1 maybe
Its going to be early 2000's boats prob, as pricing is going to stay pretty stable for awhile, and new boats are crazy price wise.
Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-19-2020, 1:29 AM Reply   
7ft door (really 6’11 at the lowest point) and 21ft deep. I’m thinking 20ft boat no platform is the only possibility. A new car and added garage are in the future so maybe a different boat down the road but right now want to get the kids back on the water while they are young. Took a family trip with my cousins axis t22 last week and we couldn’t get enough.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-19-2020, 2:27 AM Reply   
even 20 will be tough, need a breakaway trainer, and remove the platform when you put it in. I am guessing you cant have it in your driveway? I would look for a used x2, I know it will fit, as my neighbor has a 21 ft garage, and bought one just for that reason, but you are looking at 14 yr old boats.
Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-19-2020, 1:03 PM Reply   
Ya I’ve been looking at 06-09 x2s. Was really hoping for an 11-13 a20. I’ve seen them go well within my range pre Covid but people are wanting near msrp for 9 year old boats now. It’s insane
Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-19-2020, 1:08 PM Reply   
No I can’t have it in my driveway. Platform off and swing away tongue are definitely necessities.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-19-2020, 11:43 PM Reply   
Tige RZR. Mine fits in 16'x20' garage with a 7ft door. Single axle boatmate so i can move by hand in garage. Have to fold tongue and put it in at an angle so I don't remove swim platform.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-20-2020, 1:41 AM Reply   
if your garage door is truly 6'11" you are going to have a hard time fitting any newer boat with a lot of freeboard in that short of a garage. I have a 14' mojo and a 7' door. It wont fit. I would double check the height of any boat with the tower folded down first.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2020, 5:15 AM Reply   
Don't forget about all the crap hanging off the back of the boat you are buying (wedge, tabs, speedos (older boats)) and the swing away tongue will probably stick out slightly over the very tip of the nose, depends on manufacturer. All that factored in, its hard to imagine a 20' boat fitting in a 21' length garage. Bring that tape measure, some plumb bobs, and measure twice on that boat you're buying.

How well does your DD Sunsetter fit in the garage? That's gotta be a tight one as well.
Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-20-2020, 6:13 AM Reply   
Just moved and currently boatless so I have no idea how it would fit. I would imagine platform off and swing away tongue would still leave me at an angle.
Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-20-2020, 6:16 AM Reply   
I’m trying to tell myself to wait until mid late fall when the new boaters realize they didn’t want that boat as much as they thought or don’t want to store it so there is more used inventory at better prices. Problem is then I’ve wasted this whole summer only boating 1 week with my cousins axis. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2007...ft-x2-7522182/
Thoughts on this x2?
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2020, 6:30 AM Reply   
Not sure that boat will make 6'11" door height. Search on team talk. I know there's a thread about that vintage and door clearance and it being tight on 7 foot garage doors. I believe it's a little bit of work to get the tower down and back up, so you might not want to have to do it every time you get the boat out.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2020, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by udownwitogc View Post
I’m trying to tell myself to wait until mid late fall when the new boaters realize they didn’t want that boat as much as they thought or don’t want to store it so there is more used inventory at better prices. Problem is then I’ve wasted this whole summer only boating 1 week with my cousins axis. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2007...ft-x2-7522182/
Thoughts on this x2?
Not a big fan of these vintage of X2. Wake and wave is very minimum. I would prefer the older X2 or I believe it was rebranded to X1 in 2006 and 2007. Much better boat to use on the water.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-20-2020, 12:31 PM Reply   
Ignoring the wake or wave, you may have to get a storage slip, down the street, and just go pick it up when you want to go boating. I wouldn't think you HOA would say anything if it was in the driveway over night, but Some HOA's are out of control. We live on the lake, but our neighborhood all have boats etc etc, so no one cares
Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-20-2020, 2:13 PM Reply   
People in my neighborhood have boats or campers out for short stints but from what I can gather the HOA is on top of it and it’s a no no. Either way I gotta store it for the winter so it has to go in the garage. Also I know being a boater this doesn’t make sense but I am a penny pincher when I can be so I’d rather store it here all the time. Hoping the parents keep their promise and move on the lake in a couple of years and then it’s no worries
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       07-20-2020, 8:32 PM Reply   
Axis: 2011- A20
Centurion: 2003-2009 Cyclone
Malibu: 2007- VTX
Mastercraft: 1999-2002 X-Star 2003-2005 X2 2006-2011 X1 2006-2012 X2
Moomba: 2002-2005 Mobius LSV 2006-2015 Moomba Outback V
Nautique: 2011-2016 Sport Nautique 200
Sanger: 1996-2012 V210
Supra: 2006-2009 20SSV
Ski Supreme: 2002-2014 Sky Supreme V208
Tige: 2011-2018 RZR
Old     (udownwitogc)      Join Date: May 2020 Location: Białogard Send a message via ICQ to udownwitogc       07-20-2020, 11:40 PM Reply   
Ya I’ve looked at the sport 200s before and was surprised to see a few hovering near my price range. I love the looks of the ski wake on that and owning a Nautique would be nice. Problem is it doesn’t have the storage, seating capacity (I know it’s only 1 less person but I’ve sat in one and it’s cramped), or surf wave others have. That’s a lot of knocks against it.

You’re the second to recommend the Tige rzr. I keep hearing negative reviews about tige and that the rzr in particular is weight sensitive. I guess I can’t be too picky when I have such a low budget.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-21-2020, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by udownwitogc View Post
Ya I’ve looked at the sport 200s before and was surprised to see a few hovering near my price range. I love the looks of the ski wake on that and owning a Nautique would be nice. Problem is it doesn’t have the storage, seating capacity (I know it’s only 1 less person but I’ve sat in one and it’s cramped), or surf wave others have. That’s a lot of knocks against it.

You’re the second to recommend the Tige rzr. I keep hearing negative reviews about tige and that the rzr in particular is weight sensitive. I guess I can’t be too picky when I have such a low budget.
most smaller boats are going to be more sensitive to weight. But the positive is less effort to correct it. So larger boats require more weight and effort to get it dialed in, but usually are more forgiving once set up. I had a first gen VLX, loved it, but it was a narrow boat, and you could mess up the wake with minor people movement, but you could slam it with little effort. Loved that boat.