Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
So I found a superjet I want to purchase in Arizona and register in California. The guy I am buying it from just paid it off and got a letter from Yamaha saying it is paid off and they no loger own it. The perosn selling it said that jetskis don't have pink slips or titles (AZ is a not title state) and that he just has to sign the registation to switch ownership over to me. Does that sound correct? Want to make sure I don't have any problems registering this in California

Thx, Pete
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-09-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
Not from Arizona, but it is true that Arizona does not have titles. I would think the bill of sale would be good and a copy of the registration. Make sure the registration matches the craft and the owner. To be super safe I would call your DMV and see what they will require. It will save some headaches later.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-09-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
I am dealing with this right now. I picked up a new quad for my son and didnt get a bill of sale. CA DMV requires a BOS and also a VIN verification from a peace officer or someone from the DMV to register an out of state vessel
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-09-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
What year is the ski? I'd check with the State to see if you can even register it in CA. The State of CA no longer allow manufacturers to sell 2 stroke stand ups because of our tree hugging emission laws.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
its a 2008 so I think I'm still okay
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-09-2011, 11:12 PM Reply   
When I purchased my boat, it was registered in OR. And they to are a titles state. I still have the forms needed to register it here. Pm me and i'll email them
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-10-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
Get a bill of sale, preferably notarized. Here in NJ they are commies about this stuff and require notarized everything. I hate this miserable state. Despite legally getting my boat from the rightful owner I don't have my trailer legally registered since they wouldn't take it without a title or *notarized* bill of sale, never mind that there aren't notaries available on weekends at odd hours or on holidays and the dude lives 6 hours away. So I roll the dice every tow that they'll hit me with a hidden tax. ... Regardless, most manufacturers give a certificate of origin when the note is paid off. That is what that dude has. If he signs that over with a nnotarized bill of sale you should be fine, unless you live in NJ in which case you're screwed.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-10-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
When I purchased my boat, it was registered in OR. And they to are a titles state. I still have the forms needed to register it here. Pm me and i'll email them
Hey Dave:

If you could email the forms to peteuehlin@yahoo.com I'd appreciate it.

Thx, Pete

Last edited by peter19u; 12-10-2011 at 9:35 AM. Reason: e
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-10-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
Hey Dave:

My email address is peteuehlin@yahoo.com

Thx, Pete
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       12-10-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
...I don't have my trailer legally registered since they wouldn't take it without a title or *notarized* bill of sale, never mind that there aren't notaries available on weekends at odd hours or on holidays and the dude lives 6 hours away.
In most states the title and or bill of sale only have to be signed by the buyer in the presence of the notary. So, in this instance the seller could mail it to you already notarized and you'd sign it and turn it in.

This is how people sell vehicles on eBay and have them shipped without ever seeing the seller in person. I've had titles and bills of sale notarized several times without the buyer and mailed them off and they've never had any trouble on the other end.
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       12-10-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
I would double check to see if you can register a new title in California on a 2 stroke. I remember this was an issue (i had a super jet) for people in california. If it had a title already issued from another state, it was OK. But converting a new original manufactuers certificate of manufacture to a title in California had some issues.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-10-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter19u View Post
Hey Dave:

My email address is peteuehlin@yahoo.com

Thx, Pete
Ill send the forms when I get home tonight. Also, the bill of sale will need to be notarized. The lady at triple A was cool and let it slide. My boat is registered in AZ, and the registration acts as the title. If he does not have it, he will need to order a duplicate, the information to order a duplicate is at the link below. That you will need.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/script...ory=2&Keyword=
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-10-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
If that's the case that would suck. That would mean I would need to purchase a used one from CA or another state that issues titkes. AZ does not, you just need to sign the registration, I wonder if a notarized bill of sale and the signed registration would do. I fricken hate dealing the the CA DMV. Land of the living dead.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-10-2011, 10:08 PM Reply   
The notarized bill of sale and signed registration is all you need. I registered my trailer here and the boat in Az. Wanted to avoid the stupid property tax on the boat.

Last edited by wakebrdr94; 12-10-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-11-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
thanks for sending them Dave. Just hope I don't get hassled by the DMV since its a 2 stroke
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-11-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
If you get hassled here, register in arizona as a non resident. That's what I did have had no problems as of yet
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-11-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
Hey Dave:

I may just end up registering the Superjet in AZ like you did as a non resident. How did you go about doing that. Do you just send the Deptof Fish and Game all the info. If you could tell me how you did it I'd appreciate it.

Thx, Pete
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-11-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
The link below should offer up any information to questions you may have that I cannot answer, it is where I got my information from. There is a link on the page to download the registration form. The only thing that is the downside is registration price is determined by the length of your vessel. You can find that info in the site as well. Registration as a non resident is a bit high, but still cheaper than the property tax bill that I would receive from CA. I did leave the trailer registered in CA as I have heard stories about cops giving people a hard time when towing trailers and their plates were different on the trailer than the car.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreat...stration.shtml

Hope this helps

Last edited by wakebrdr94; 12-11-2011 at 8:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-12-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave. May just go that route if the DMV gives me any hassles here in CA.