Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-02-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
I intend to add weight to my I/O, but my father has got me worried about it so I figured I'd ask here. I want to add around 500lbs of weight to my boat (either a ski locker sac, or a couple in the bow), and we normally have 4 or 5 people come out with us. I'll guesstimate that we have usually 700lbs in the boat, with just people. My boat's USCG seating/weight plaque says my boat is rated for only 940lbs (or 6 people). Yea, yea, laugh at me, it's an old 16.5ft I/O. :P

Is exceeding that rating by about 300lbs or more a serious thing I should worry about. I know we've exceeded the weight limit before with people, and I've not had any problems. I just worry if a full load AND the ballast would be a bad thing.

What do you all think? I apoligize if there is a thread on this and I missed it, I usually search but I'm in a bit of a hurry. Thank you!
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-02-2005, 10:29 PM Reply   
Legally, theres somethign wrong with it. But if you are careful, and don't swamp the boat, you should be ok. Might want to upgrade your bilge pump in case a sac breaks, and NEVER use solid weight!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2005, 11:41 PM Reply   
People might not take me seriously. But I know a guy who adds 4700lbs to a 1989 prostar 190. He says you cant see the Mastercraft decal.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-03-2005, 5:15 AM Reply   
When we have alot of people in it (most likely violating the rating), you can't tell by looking at the boat that it's weighted heavily. It sits pretty tall in the water, especially the front end (which is what i'd particularly like to weight). I don't imagine it being a problem, but investing in a bigger bilge pump is a good idea.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-03-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
There that lie is about the mastercraft again!
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2005, 3:26 AM Reply   
Yeah 4700lb is not right but anyway I would not worry about 300lbs or so over the limit if your sensible.

The extra bilge pump is a good idea. I run one in the centre and one at the rear for safety.

Go for a ski locker sac to get the weight nice and low and central.

With 5 peeps and a 450lb sac you'll be set.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-04-2005, 6:03 AM Reply   
I've only been able to find a 600lb locker sack, maybe i'm not finding one? Hook me up with a link if ya have one! Thanks guys...
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-04-2005, 8:58 AM Reply   
Leo! Dude, I know you're smarter than that. This just doesn't compute.

If you really want people to believe you - post some pics of his weight when it's all set-up.

BTW, you have a fan club. LOL http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4207&page=2

(sorry, TMC brothas, but it's fair game)

Cody, we apoligize for the hijack but it's official MC business.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-04-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
leo where in the hell are you gonna put 8 600# fat sacks?????????????????

two in the back on the floor, two on each side of the motor cover stacked up, one in the drivers seat, one in observers seat? where are the people gonna sit. i was in a 190 last night. and my boat has the same floor space.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-04-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
4700lbs is total crap...882001 is right on, there is no room in a 190 for 8 600# fat sacks. Since its a closed bow, there is really only 4 places that a 600lb sac would fit on the floor. 1 right behind the motor box, 1 on either side of the motor box, and then 1 in front of the motor box between it and the observers chair. That leaves you with only 4 sacs...from there you would have to stack 4 more sacs on the 4 that are on the floor already. By the time you got to sac #7, it would be going under.

if in fact it will hold 4700lbs, lead is the only way you could fit it in there.
Old     (jrandol)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Hey Leo, let me pull my waders up, the S### it getting pretty deep here. We are all waiting for pics of the Prostar with 4700 # of ballast...............
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-04-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
yay, I owned an 89 MC 190 and ran a full waterbed mattress in the back and ~ 500 lbs sand in the front + a few people. I would estimate 2000 lbs ballast and she worked her @ss off to get on plane. double that and add 700 lbs..... right!

Inorder to keep your father comfortable with your added ballast, add ballast in steps. Start with one full sac and people. If you think the boat performs well enough and more. If you don't have a large crew from time to time supplement the people with additional ballast. You don't have to shoot the lights out the first time out. Your boat will handle differently, get familiar with the performance and adjust.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-04-2005, 1:41 PM Reply   
If your I/O has enough horsepower and is proped properly you can put a lot more ballast in. The 375# tube sack fits well in the locker. If you don't have a pylon or tower hold off on the ballast and spend the money on a pole. Sand bags and concrete blocks make good cheap ballast. You can fit at least 400# worth of sandbags in your ski locker. You have the right idea weighting the front. I/O's need the majority of the ballast up front and in the middle.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-04-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
Nah, I've built my tower already. I'm willing to invest some money in ballast, just not sure what to get or which pump would be best (it'd have to be forward/reverse). I've considered binding the pump to my extra Acc. button, and tapping into the raw water intake for the ballast. It wouldn't take a day to do that, and lay the pvc/waterhose. However, I need to decide on a pump and bag. The 375# tube sack? What brand is that? I'll look it up. THanks.