Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bigski52)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-13-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
I just found a great deal on a good 2000 Moomba Outback LSV direct drive. I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard anything about the hull on these things? Does it have the same hull as the Mobius? It looks like it does but I can't find anything regarding the wake on these boats weighted down. Does anybody have one of these and can you tell me how the wake is weighted down and how much weight in which areas you run? This will be my first boat.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-13-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
The outback is more of a ski/crossover boat. I am sure with enough weight it will throw a decent wake but it is also going to sit very low in the water. I learned to ride behind a 97 outback and the wake was never that good.

*edit* for the record the one I learned behind was not an LSV so the hull was probably different.

Last edited by bruizza; 09-13-2010 at 9:38 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigski52 View Post
I just found a great deal on a good 2000 Moomba Outback LSV direct drive. I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard anything about the hull on these things? Does it have the same hull as the Mobius? It looks like it does but I can't find anything regarding the wake on these boats weighted down. Does anybody have one of these and can you tell me how the wake is weighted down and how much weight in which areas you run? This will be my first boat.
There is no such thing as a direct drive outback LSV. If it is a direct drive it is just an outback or outback LS maybe. I wouldn't pay more than 12-15k for one of those.

Where are you located? In seattle there is a 2000 Mobius V for 16,750. I had this same boat and it was a great boat for the price. They are pretty big inside and have the room to put an 1100# sack in the front and dual 500's or so in the rear. It produced a very consistent fairly large wake. I actually want to buy this boat really bad to make a couple bucks on it.

Last edited by polarbill; 09-13-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-13-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Yep I was under the impression LSVs were all v-drives. Moomba had some different hulls for the outback and it varied by year and drive type (direct vs. v). If it shares the hull as the Mobius LSV you can build a good wake. If it does not which I suspect is the case, the wake is marginal. The standard outback hull has a low freeboard so you are limited on how much weight you can throw in, and with about 1000lbs the wake was nothing to get excited about. I would figure out exaclty which model it is and call your local Moomba dealer to see exactly what the hull is.
Old     (bigski52)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-13-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
The owner is only asking $8500 for the boat. I realized it was a mistake on the listing when he put LSV after doing some research so it's actually an Outback LS. The boat has 300 hrs. I am not a big Moomba fan but the boat is a 21' and looks to have a deep-v hull similar to that year model Mobius. I am trying to find a hull history but cannot locate one. The boat sits fairly high out of the water and I think I could probably slam it with ballast and make a decent wake. If not, these things are bringing around $12,000 when one comes up for sale in this area so I could make a good profit selling it next summer if it disappoints me in any way. I am thinking there has to be something wrong with the boat for $8500 so I'm going to give it a good look over and long test drive before buying. If anybody knows if this is the same hull as the Mobius in that year let me know please.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
The owner is only asking $8500 for the boat. I realized it was a mistake on the listing when he put LSV after doing some research so it's actually an Outback LS. The boat has 300 hrs. I am not a big Moomba fan but the boat is a 21' and looks to have a deep-v hull similar to that year model Mobius. I am trying to find a hull history but cannot locate one. The boat sits fairly high out of the water and I think I could probably slam it with ballast and make a decent wake. If not, these things are bringing around $12,000 when one comes up for sale in this area so I could make a good profit selling it next summer if it disappoints me in any way. I am thinking there has to be something wrong with the boat for $8500 so I'm going to give it a good look over and long test drive before buying. If anybody knows if this is the same hull as the Mobius in that year let me know please.
That is pretty cheap. If all is good with the boat it might not be a bad pickup to use for a half a year. It looks to be the same hull as the original mobius which is low profile for today's standards. I don't think you will ever get a huge wake but I am sure you could throw 1500-2000LBS and have fun.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Which one does it look like?

or

Old     (bigski52)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-13-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
It's the first picture. If I'm not mistaken the second looks like a 2001 or 2002 model. They changed the hull in 2001 I believe. If it was a 2001 I would have already left to go look at it. I'm pretty sure in 2000 the hull was the same for the Outback and Mobius but it was still not outstanding. This will be my first boat though, and if I don't like it I could sell it for an easy profit next summer.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-13-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
It's the first picture. If I'm not mistaken the second looks like a 2001 or 2002 model. They changed the hull in 2001 I believe. If it was a 2001 I would have already left to go look at it. I'm pretty sure in 2000 the hull was the same for the Outback and Mobius but it was still not outstanding. This will be my first boat though, and if I don't like it I could sell it for an easy profit next summer.
Yeah, both of those are actually 2001's. I wasn't sure because on moomba's website the outback and outback ls look exactly the same. In 01 the outback was the same as the 00 outback and the outback ls was the newer slight deeper/bigger hull.

Again, even though the 2000 isn't going to win any wake awards it will probably be good enough to throw a consistent wake and get 8 or so friends out on the boat when need be. If the boat is in good shape you really don't have much to lose as it will be easy to sell next spring/summer for 10k.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-13-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
For $8500 you can't go wrong as long as there are no hidden problems. We had a lot of fun behind that 97 Outback. It just never threw a big wake but you don't need a huge wake to have fun wakeboarding.