Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       02-16-2017, 8:30 AM Reply   
Does anyone know where in the world phil soven is???
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-16-2017, 8:53 AM Reply   
He went back to school.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-19-2017, 7:14 AM Reply   
From what I know / heard he's going to law school. He will be good at what ever he chooses I have no doubt! Bill
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-20-2017, 11:46 AM Reply   
Did ctrl go under?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2017, 7:38 AM Reply   
You can't buy any new boards
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-22-2017, 1:37 PM Reply   
That's crazy because when they first started they were the bees knees
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-22-2017, 6:29 PM Reply   
CTRL Failed even with his investment and then Malibu dropped him so he went to get a law degree and big boy job.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-22-2017, 9:16 PM Reply   
Malibu dropped him? Really? Didn't they release a Soven Edition boat last season? (Maybe it was the season before....) Anyway if that's the case I wonder what made the relationship turn so quickly from a special edition boat to you're off the team.

I always felt Phil got a bit of a bad wrap, I think the reality show had a lot to do with it. The way those shows are edited makes a huge difference in how a person comes off. Can you blame him for leaving the way many in the wake community (and magazines) talked about him?

Hell of a competitor, and in the last year of so when he was with CTRL it did seem like he was putting more emphasis on style in some of the edits put out.

Wish him the best. Will be interesting to see how much he continues to ride now that it's not his career. I bet in 20 years a lot of pros are going to be wishing they'd left the lifestyle a little earlier and gotten into a more traditional career with better long term earning potential.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-23-2017, 7:33 AM Reply   
I agree that Phil generally caught a bad name/image cause he didn't follow the "ideal" image of easy going wakeboarding. I did enjoy his more refined approach in both on and off the water. It will be interesting to see if he cant land a nice corporate job in the industry with his degree.

Last edited by TC_Mastercraf_X5; 02-23-2017 at 7:34 AM. Reason: added a word
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-23-2017, 11:58 AM Reply   
I always loved to see his riding. We was so ahead of his time.

Wakeworld should do a Q&A with him now that he is away from the sport and get everyone caught up. Crazy he just went cold turkey.....

I met Phil one time while I was at the Project (now the Boarding School) and he was super cool. he came out on the boat with us for a set and gave us some pointers and then we got to watch him ride. Man he was so good.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-24-2017, 11:01 AM Reply   
I wish Phil nothing but the best in his new career and I have the deepest respect for him as a wakeboarder. His section in the Truth is my personal favorite wakeboard part and no other section gets me as stoked to ride. He seems to have had a different personality than many of the other pros and it appeared that a lot of people, including so called friends, were a**holes to him about it and then justified it by saying they were "messing with him." (The excuse of a**holes and bullies everywhere.) Despite that though, he seemed to have a great financial head on his shoulders and I imagine that the move was more due to what was best for him and his future than the juvenile crap that others sent his way.

Back in the day, Wakeworld regularly had threads where people talked bad about Phil. The funny thing was that it almost always was stories they heard, whereas people who actually interacted with him always had stories like David Curtis.

Anyway, I have no doubt that Phil will absolutely crush it as an attorney.
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-24-2017, 12:10 PM Reply   
Phil's the type of guy to remind his teacher to collect the homework
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-25-2017, 10:59 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding was/is a sport where you need both skill and personality to be truly successful. No matter how good you are companies will only pay you if you actually help sell products.

Guys like Parks and Murray "had it". The attitude. They promoted wake lifestyle and a love of the sport, which is why sponsors valued them and People loved them. And they sold products, most importantly. This was never "Phil". How many people bought a "Soven" edition boat? I would have paid more to NOT have that all over my new $125k boat.

With more and more money taken out of wake he made a very smart decision and will no doubt be crazy good at law. I mean god knows the US needs more good lawyers.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-25-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
To be fair I'd never buy a parks edition boat either.

But I'm sure some hardo somewhere has
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-25-2017, 8:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
...., whereas people who actually interacted with him always had stories like David Curtis.
Nope, not true.