Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-09-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
I have a 97 ski brendella, where can I find max weight / pass capacity? The hin is on the exterior stern. But nothing else. I'm planning a weekend with 6 friends. two of which are bigger guys. It's a closed bow. Probably 1100-1200 pounds of people. I'm concerned because my boat has a low freeboard.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
You'll be fine.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-09-2013, 9:26 PM Reply   
Idk. The back seat holds 3 comfortably and the front side maybe two. But a couple of my friends are bigger. I'm already hesitant with 5 people just because i take water in bad chop. Its a real low freeboard. I just wanna make sure.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-09-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
The max weight capacity is just a safety provision for the coast guard, which generally doesn't apply for most lakes. Much like all other provisions set forth by our governing bodies, they are way beyond actuality. Every time I ride, the boat is over the weight capacity by at least 1500 pounds. Just take a little extra precaution and pay attention. Nothing to worry about
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-10-2013, 3:55 PM Reply   
I know my aluminum fishing boat has a plate that has max weight or persons. Do ski boats not have this anywhere?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-10-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
Should be somewhere near the helm.. Mine is below the throttle
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-10-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
If your Brendella is the pro comp which is 20' it wouldn't surprise me at all if it didnt' have one. First Manufacturer's dont' have to install capacity plates on boats 20' or larger. Second, Brendella was started by Mike Brendel(I am pretty sure he had moved on from Brendella by 1997) and he isn't installing plates on his current MB's. Some of this may be why MB's aren't NMMA certified. I would venture a guess that your Brendella wasn't NMMA certified either.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-10-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
Here is a handy chart. Look in the A-B colum for your boat..
Attached Images

Old     (Kevinbieber)      Join Date: May 2013       07-10-2013, 5:46 PM Reply   
Either I'm to dumb to comprehend bait killer or his comment doesn't make any sense..
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-10-2013, 6:04 PM Reply   
Lol I get the columns not the center part.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-10-2013, 6:12 PM Reply   
Only thing by my throttle.

Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       07-11-2013, 4:56 AM Reply   
I agree that, if you are over 20' you may not have a capacity plate...which I see as a good thing. If you have a capacity plate, you are required to comply with it.

I had a closed bow low freeboard ski boat from the 90s and its capacity was 6 as it is one the early Malibu Skiers but I don't remember the weight capacity. Both of those boats were more than safe with 6, in my opinion.

My advise, load it as long as you feel safe. It may not be a bad idea to let everyone know that you will be heavily loaded and ask that they not all stand in the same corner...we almost lost that Malibu with 12 of us (yes, 12) when everyone kept piling in the same corner! No one else noticed that we were within 1/4" of taking on water so I jumped out and and yelled at which point a few others caught on and more foreword.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-11-2013, 5:04 AM Reply   
My boat is north of 20 and doesn't have a capacity plate, but most boats can handle more than rated capacity. It all comes down to the driver. You need to be aware of the surroundings. On a butter morning, you can slam it 6-8" off the water as long as you drive carefully. On a "choppy" day, keep the weight lower. Low freeboard ski boats are really so much about weight as they are about conditions. You can slam a G23 8" off the water and while it can "handle it" it's going to sink just as fast in rough water as your boat if they are both slammed. Make sense? Feel out the weight and don't worry about the floor or stringers getting hurt unless they're rotten or soft.