Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    boarderrr            09-05-2014, 8:44 PM Reply   
What is the best method with the best quality to somehow get my gopro video in slow motion on my computer? I have the gopro hero 3 black edition so should I film it in slow mo or edit it to slow motion after?
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-05-2014, 10:49 PM Reply   
it sort of depends on how slow you want it vs what size you want it. you cant really have both super slow mo and super high quality, so pick what you want more of. if you want it really really slow maybe go with 720 at 120fps (you can stretch it a little past without it looking too bad) or if you want the quality and dont need to go super slow do 1080 at 60fps.

editing the speed of the clip depends on what program you use. some automatically pull your file in at 30fps so you need to stretch it anyways. as long as you have the frames to stretch it it wont look jumpy when you do. you can stretch a little past the amount of frames you have without it looking bad but dont go too far.

some programs pull the clip in at the frame rate you captured it at so no stretching is needed.

as long as you dont go too far, over stretching the clip a little is probably better than upsizing the video (meaning maybe do 1080 at 60 fps and stretch it to like 1.5 times or so as opposed to 720 at 100fps but upsized to 1080... , unless you really want the 120fps or even mimicking 180fps by stretching the 120fps 1.5 times or so...)

hope that makes sense.

G
Old    boarderrr            09-06-2014, 12:36 AM Reply   
What is a good editing software
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-06-2014, 12:47 AM Reply   
umm.. i use after effects and premiere but they're a lil pricey... they're both great though. i don't have a lot of experience with much else. maybe someone else will chime in.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-06-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Best slow motion quality will come from using WVGA 240fps mode at the expense of higher resolution. Here's a clip I made using that mode, regular speed at first then slowed down to 1/8th speed.

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-07-2014, 6:25 AM Reply   
Download pro studios (I think that's what it's call) from GoPros website. Pretty easy to use and I've had good success with slow motion with it.

Here a couple of examples from my vacation

http://youtu.be/0d6kL3TkSgQ

http://youtu.be/-0ISQe0cwX4

No wake boarding in these sorry. Too hard to do behind cruise ships. The captain would not allow it.

Last edited by Bumpass1; 09-07-2014 at 6:30 AM.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-07-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
Twixtor
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-07-2014, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
Twixtor
Where would you rank this vs FCPX? Currently editing in FCPX and like it for the most part.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
I use iMovie. Simple. Never cracked the mutual, and I can edit decent videos that include slow mo.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-07-2014, 8:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I use iMovie. Simple. Never cracked the mutual, and I can edit decent videos that include slow mo.
iMovie has always been the best stock editor hands down. I've used it a lot in the past, but Final Cut has always been my editor of choice.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2014, 10:45 PM Reply   
Best slow mo comes from command line tools on Linux. Said no one ever. But that's what I typically use because it's quick and easy. [1]

An even easier method is to use VLC (free for Windows and Mac, too), which allows one to reduce play back speed, then record that. This method can produce ok results if the source video is, say, 60 fps or better, and you're looking to play back at 24 fps. Otherwise need a video editor that can fake it in post processing. [2]

[1] http://giantdorks.org/alain/set-fram...tion-playback/

[2] http://www.videomaker.com/video/watc...and-clip-speed