Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-21-2018, 5:11 AM Reply   
I'm looking for a new board (mostly boat riding). I've been riding the Slingshot Response for years now and feel the most comfortable with that. Whenever I switch to something else (different shape, stiff/flex, rocker) it just doesn't work as well for me. I feel comfortable with the flex, featureless base and rocker line of the Response. The problem is that Slingshot doesn't make the Response anymore. So my question is what board would ride similar to that? In the Slingshot lineup, the Pill could work but I'm not a fan of 3 stage rockers, plus the largest size is 142 and I'd prefer a larger size. I've been riding 145 for a while (I'm 6'2", 217lbs) but I don't know, maybe going down to a 142 wouldn't be that big of a deal. I want a fast board so how does the Pill compare in speed? The Nomad is big and fast but it doesn't really work well for me, it's just a little two squishy for me.
I was thinking maybe the the Whip. Seems like it'd be close to the same feel...?
Also the Liquidforce Timba looks like it would ride similar to the Response.
Any suggestions?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-21-2018, 11:22 AM Reply   
I would get a custom humanoid then.

The only board I’ve ridden that’s close has been a humanoid oracle but it’s a little slower, I actually much prefer the oracle to the response. It edged way better

I’ve ridden the following for boat: humanoid oracle 1up cameo and circus, slingshot recoil kine response nomad Hooke, CTRL the line and supreme
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-22-2018, 4:08 PM Reply   
I think the old O’Brien paradigm rides like the response. They have a similar shape and rocker...the only real difference is the paradigm has wood stringers in an otherwise standard foam core vs the slingshot with a full wood core. This makes is slightly lighter in my opinion than the response
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-22-2018, 4:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnfightsvn View Post
I think the old O’Brien paradigm rides like the response. They have a similar shape and rocker...the only real difference is the paradigm has wood stringers in an otherwise standard foam core vs the slingshot with a full wood core. This makes is slightly lighter in my opinion than the response
Boards like that break easier. That’s the only warning
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-24-2018, 10:53 PM Reply   
I was in the exact same situation. I have been riding the response for the last 10 years and felt really comfortable with it. Gone through 5 of them and unfortunately broke mine a week ago, and couldn't find another one anywhere that was my size. Like you, most boards I get on now just feel awkward now.

I was able to demo a Hyperlite Vagabond, Slingshot Whip, and the Liquid Force Timba this past week.

The vagabond is probably not what you are looking for as there is no flex, but the board generally sounds like it was catered to my style of riding, so I gave it a try. It does pop very well compared to the response and lands somewhat soft. I felt it didn't release as easy off the wake though. It carves super nice, is fun for slashing, and holds speed just as good as the response, but just isn't as playful and feels a touch more locked in when approaching the wake.

The slingshot whip had the most similar flex to the response, but it didn't feel the same at all to me on my first ride. The tips seem a bit wider and make the board feel a little heavy when spinning and also doesn't release off the wake the same. This is the most similar board in the slingshot line, but it didn't feel that similar to me.

The liquid force timba is a bit softer than the response, but out of these 3 boards, it felt the most similar to a response to me. It is very playful, still pops decently, and releases off the wake in the same way the response does. I was able to land all my tricks on this board on my first set, so it generally felt mostly the same to me and is probably my next board.

Hope this helps.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-25-2018, 5:28 AM Reply   
I was thinking the Timba and Whip might feel the closest, so your comment is perfect. Thanks, that was really helpful!
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-23-2018, 6:12 PM Reply   
I thought I'd post an update:
I ended up buying a Liquidforce Timba. I like it a lot! It feels pretty similar to my Response but stiffer and a little snappier pop.There wasn't really any time needed to adjust, so that was a relief.
The only problem I have with it is at the cable. I ride mostly boat but do ride cable every once in a while. I know some boards slide faster or slower than others but this board stuck to everything. I spent an entire day at the park and couldn't get used to it. It felt like there was velcro on the bottom of my board. I tried to wax it up and it didn't seem to help. Any time I hit a flat surface like a ramp where there was a lot of contact with the board I stuck. At the end of the day I switch to a Humanoid Oshea just to see if it would make a difference and with the Humanoid I was completely fine. I didn't stick on anything. I have never had experienced this before with a board. Sliding a little slower on some maybe but I've never ridden a board so sticky it was unusable.

Anyone else have this problem??
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2018, 5:47 AM Reply   
I see they have a 145 nomad out. I wonder how it rides compared to the response.....
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-29-2019, 3:28 PM Reply   
I have a 145 Slingshot Response that's been sitting on a shelf for about 8 years after riding it for a season. Never on a slider or in a park, just ridden behind the boat. Great board when I was riding often but switched back to a traditional board as I just wanted something more predictable and didn't need to be loaded to gain pop. I sure did love the huge air when I was able to load it properly but that's part of history now at my age. First $100 gets it, you pay actual shipping.
Ping me at mikeskiw at gmail.