Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old    wake_beginner            10-04-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
My own:

rails

kicker

pylon

tower

--------------
Since I'm a beginner I needz all the help I can get. Anyone want to offer free expert advice? If so, I greatly appreciate it!
Old    fishboatwakerider            10-04-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
Let me start by saying most on this board will flame you for not using the search feature first, since most of that stuff has been covered.

DIYTOWER.com has some good info on towers.

Kickers & rails are fairly easy, and can be found with a quick google search.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-05-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
I'd flame him more for using the pseudoword "needz" than for ignoring the search feature.

Are you a beginner wakeboarder or handyman? If you're a beginning wakeboarder then I'd ignore the kicker and rails for now. If you're a beginning handyman, I'd ignore the tower.

Pylons are easy to build. Just remember that you're better off overengineering them. I currently use a 7' pylon that cost me about $50 in parts I didn't already have. Look at DIYTOWER.com as Roy suggested for basic ideas but the biggest difference in my pylon and the ones I see on there is that I attach rear straps to the eye hooks in the back of the boat instead of mounting new hooks permanently to attach to.

But to be more specific, the pylon is just a floor jack, some tie down straps, an eye bolt, and a wooden base. The steps are easy:

1. Build a wooden base. (mine is 4x6 green wood with 1/4" plywood base nailed on underneath for extra stability)
2. Drill hole in wooden base for floor jack. (I had to use a hole saw and chisel out wood as I went due to thickness of base.)
3. Drill holes in floor jack for eye bolt to attach rope to, and tie downs.
4. Attach the eye bolt.

To assemble, throw the base of the floor, put the jack in the base, connect and tighten the straps, and attach the ski rope to the eye bolt.