Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-08-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
As I'm bored in the offseason, I'm curious what sites you guys regularly check out to keep up on the industry and new videos/pics/etc. Personally I check alliance and wakeworld everyday. Funwhenwet.com (chad's blog) and shredtown.com are also regulars for me. What other sites/blogs/forums do you make a point to hit?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-08-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
derekgrasman.com is great for everything, not just wake related stuff. He has music, movies, art, skateboarding, snowboarding, and general fun stuff. And he updates it almost daily.
Old     (SafetyMike)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-08-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
Your looking at the best wake site
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-08-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
derekgrasman.com is great for everything, not just wake related stuff. He has music, movies, art, skateboarding, snowboarding, and general fun stuff. And he updates it almost daily.
This.

And cwb-tv is always a great laugh, most of their videos are in-season though, usually don't see too much new stuff off-season.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMike View Post
Your looking at the best wake site
+1
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-08-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Not a wake site but a good one! Doubleviking.com
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
wakeworld is deffinately my favorite, but i also check out alliancewake.com, wakeboarder.com, wakeboarding mag.com, and deffinately shredtown.com....

WakeWorld.com is deffinately the most updated and seems to be the most popular, so i stay on here most of the time.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
www.wesubsist.com
www.wakeskating.com
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-08-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
ummm this stie!
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Wakeworld is the best, hands down
Old     (PAE)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
I like the boat forums as well, MasterCraft Owners Forum, tigeowners.com, foilforum and wakeweather.com. Oh and of course craigslist boats, i could always use a houseboat @ powell!
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
Wake2wake.ca is really sweet. Some good Canadian content. Also, for a fix, I follow the pro's on Twitter and they sometimes post videos that don't get published on some of the sites.
Alliance is great too.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2011, 11:47 PM Reply   
GNARproductions.com just came out with a sweet new videos page today, they have all of their edits and also keep you updated with other online videos!

check it out!
http://gnarproductions.com/videos.aspx
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-10-2011, 12:00 AM Reply   
yeah you're pretty much looking at all the best ones. WW, Alliance, and Transworld are my faves.
I have a bunch of wake pics on my blog site (you'll have to go back a page or two now) and there's usually wake shots that get put up. so if you're bored: http://theenglish1.blogspot.com/

Last edited by kristian; 02-10-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-10-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
We try to keep things fresh, so give us a look if you're interested. www.wakeboardstl.com
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-10-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
I have no doubt that WW is the best, thats why I'm on here! Thanks for the input i'll check those out
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-11-2011, 5:51 AM Reply   
Well, this is it right here - you're looking at it. Best overall for wake is WakeWorld and that's not to be a kiss up. Specifically the content, the forums, and some of the "blog" activity. WW authors call articles, articles and reviews, reviews - and don't throw everything at you as a "blog". It seems that they know the difference. That's rare and should be commended.

Anyway you guys probably know I'm not in the kissing up game - I'm more the making enemies game kind of person actually. But the best wake site is this one.

The weird part about this site is it's on-topic strength is so high, and it complete lacks strength in terms of compelling general off-topic discussion. There's a killing to be made there from a traffic standpoint. The proprietors of this site would benefit and so would the users. This place though - wow - I mean It's all wake, all the time. Which is paradoxically weird right now (yes I know we have a Non-Wakeboarding forum - keep reading). Most sites that have formed around a hobby, product, brand, interest, and then grew a community/forum/listserv - this idea of a generic area of focus is trending huge right now. Consolidation in forums where the end state is just 2 sections - one on the theme of the site, and one off it. Is where things are heading. So the analogy here would be:

- Wake Discussion -
Talk about anything and everything wake sports (boats, boarding, skate, surf, cable, equipment) related here.

- Off-Topic Discussion -
Everything else.

Simple right?

So, in terms of other sites... runner ups so to speak, There have been a lot of flash in the pan ones. A few really good video ones, including that one from that Norbi guy (maybe that was just his Vimeo site). On the content side it was The Report or Wake Board Report, whatever - that guy sold it to FUEL though and I don't know what's happened to it. But it't not been updated in a long time. Maybe that was part of the deal. The problem with the Norbi thing and the video sites (damn that's going to drive me nuts till I remember the name of that site...) and Wakeboard Report is frequency! You can't put something up 2x per week and then nothing for 5 weeks and see no change in traffic. You lose credibility with that kind of crap. A site has to have LIFE to me in order to succeed, it has to change, a lot - even the corporate sites, boat company sites understand this and put news, events, press releases, twitter action etc on their site. So when I see a big Flash site in this day & age - I just see that as "well get used to this because while it's a piece of turd the day it went live, I bet this cost them a fortune and it will be up forever."

COUGH, AHEM, COUGH, COUGH. HACK.

Last edited by boomshot; 02-11-2011 at 6:00 AM.
Old     (hmmm)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-11-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
i really don't like wakeworld, im really being serious, i just don't feel like they are really the best, alliance does a much better job covering the sport, and they have a better outlook on the way wakeboarding should be portrayed.

sorry to offend. but i think its true.
wesubsist.com is the best though. quality stuff right there. no garbage. clean simple design. thanks wesubsist.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-12-2011, 12:31 AM Reply   
Hah. For what it's worth, FUEL.TV/Fox did not buy my site though I have heard this before. It's mine still.

To Truth's comment - I really thought I would be able to continue writing on both, but I couldn't. The content just isn't there, compared to other sports. There's the Tour and there's a nebulous set of off seasons where people travel around the world competing and there's always the back yard/at home stuff - which I find infinitely more interesting than covering the tour. But that's how it's seen by the higherups at those places (like FUEL). Tour time and non Tour time. Plus I definitely didn't want to just duplicate everything and I think that would have been a break of my contract. I wanted to put the best new stuff on FUEL, and sprinkle press releases on both. But FUEL didn't really like the editorial direction I was taking things, and for me, I didn't want to post 3 press releases a day announcing incrementally improved manufacturing techniques and a weekly (actually every 3rd day), big feature article that would get bumped off the home page for a rerun of Daily Habit. I'm talking 2000 words, crazy, and no joke it would be bumped for that kind of stuff. Sooo deflating. So I'd do what I always did, came at things with a little bit of snark, a little bit of self-deprecating stuff, and a consumer advocacy edge, especially about the boats. We parted ways. They can still have me do features and stuff, but I don't know who runs that section anymore. I'll cover boat shows for them.

Not sure what they did after me. I think they had a guy in Florida that knew Ruck and Ruck would get interviewed every other week, and then Colin once but I don't know if anyone's in charge of that section anymore honestly. And who cares - everything, well, 95% of it anyway, is linking to Yahoo's Grind TV content. Did I miss something? Yahoo owns the Grind TV properties, Fox Cable Network/News Corporation owns FUEL.TV, Grind.TV is owned by Yahoo, but there's a partnership between Yahoo and Fuel, thus Fox and NBC? Forget it. It's giving me a headache.

Anyway it was a neat opportunity and The Wakeboard Report stuff did land on a FUEL.TV boss's desk, so the site did get their attention and was good exposure but they never made an offer to buy it. They did want the writing though, and said up front that they would make it easy for me to be able contact pretty much anyone. That part really wasn't true. I found different ways to get in touch with these guys, usually through their sponsors - particularly their boat sponsors. It was awesome to get to talk to some of these the athletes and stuff. No regrets.

But seriously, most of the stuff on The Wakeboard Report is old and I know that doesn't look good. I assure you that while it may look dead, I just paid that bill. Broken right now, yes. Dead - far from it. More soon!

Last edited by juniorhawk; 02-12-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-13-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
Dang Erik. I saw that Fuel was just linking everything to grindtv now. Grindtv was bought out a while ago by ASG.

www.alliancewake.com is the best!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-14-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
Well funny you should say it (not going name names) but GrindTV was just made aware of this too. Not sure how pleased they are... (dude you know who you are - I'll write you back to you, hoping you see this).

FUEL could ACTUALLY use a good editor. If I could go back, I'd do it again but I'd need to be paid way more, and make it a full time thing. I'd need to travel. I'd need to squeeze my shy-ass way into those circles of great photojournalists and I don't know that I have it in me. That's part of the reason why I like The Wakeboard Report. because I can sit 1000 miles away from the epicenter of wake and say over the top crap like "the only way to get a good wake out of a MasterCraft x2 is to melt down a second X2 and put it in the first X2." and then sit and watch the MasterCraft forums detonate. Oh the Tige boards loooove me too. Especially someone named Tall Tige Guy who went to the ends of the earth to defend Tige, say they are the best boats ever made, disregarded my first hand experience with several of them, and then call me an uninformed idiot. He went on to buy a MasterCraft at a boat show. This s**t writes itself. I love it.

I could never say that sort of thing on FUEL (like, about the latest-greatest X2). But I can on my own site! But I won't, because I already did.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 02-14-2011 at 12:37 PM.