Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mvanhove)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-20-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
Hey,

We recently got a new to us boat which can now hopefully wakesurf.
The boat is a Ski Supreme V220, it has the two rear hard tanks (720 lbs. total).
When we surf we will have minimum 5 people on the boat so we don't feel like adding sacks and it's just for fun not getting to serious about it.

My question is what would be a good wakesurf for a variety of people?
The lightest person would be 130 lbs, around 5'10. And the biggest being 6'2 185 lbs.

We would like to keep the price under 350$

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-21-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
the Liquidforce Venture is a great board to start out with, and its cheap too, $269
If you want a little more performance the Liquidforce Fish board is new this year, its basically the same as the venture but has split tail, so the board rides a little faster in the water. $300
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-21-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Take a look at the Inland Surfer Squirt. Sweet board.

A split tail board doesn't mean faster. It means it'll have a looser feel, which may not be a good thing for beginners.
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-21-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
I have a 2009 CWB Ride for sale for $250 + Shipping. Great beginner board, it's 5'3". I learned on it and so did everyone that I ride with regularly, approx 10-14 people, various sizes, male & female; range from 5' 4" 125lbs to 6'4" 225lbs. I'm looking to get a Ronix Koal, only reason I am selling.

Tuneman is correct, most split tails will have a looser feel, which will make it easier for it to slide out from underneath beginners. Not saying you can't learn with them, just takes more control. Looser feel can be easily confused with faster too, if a board has a tendency to slide out, it always "seems" faster.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-22-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
got a trick boardz cheap off e-bay. Haven't tried it yet, and i'm new to the sport.
Old    surfdad            05-23-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
Did Liquid Force call it a split tail? It's referred to as a swallow tail, it's a component of most FISH style surfboards. The swallow is often likened to two pin tails combined side-by-side. The swallow tail can create the feeling of a faster board, because it extends the rail line back to the point of the pin. Longer rail lines add drive. The shape of the swallow does NOT make it loose, anytime you remove volume in a tail you cause the board to sink. A pin tail on a skimmer sinks the most, in fact that's why the nose and tail are pins, when the board is ridden revert like after a shuv, the rider will gain control when the nose (now at the tail) sinks.

However, what is common with many swallow tails is an increased tail width. A wider tail, will tend to feel looser, all things being equal, because it isn't sinking as much. It's the width, not the swallow tail shape that will give the feeling of being looser, comparatively speaking. Also, swallow tail fish were often configured as twin fins (Lovingly referred to as twin spins ). A twin will be looser than a thruster or quad.

Here is a good source of info on various tail shapes and what they impart to a board.
Attached Images

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-23-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
I've read that there are only two kinds of tails: 1) the pin tail and 2) everything else.
Old    surfdad            05-23-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
In an interview of William "Stretch" Ridell of Stretch Surfboards (djjamesz's shaper) Stretch indicated that all things being equal (length, width, volume, etc) there was a pintail and everything else. That the swallow, bat, etc were all just bling. I'm not sure I subscribe to that theory, but Stretch has a few more boards under his belt than I do. I think I posted a link to that interview somewhere here on WW, but I can't find it now.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-23-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Yeah jeff ,The swallow tail is one of my favorite boards to surf in the ocean on,it gives you drive and speed and you can treat it like a skateboard revert it, throw it around ,it can ride pretty much any direction.that is my board that is like a video game.limit less amounts of speed on medium size waves.then I bust out my pin tail for bigger wave and more solid moves .heres some pictures of my new boards ,shaped from legendary shaper Ed barbara from the north shore.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-23-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
surf boards
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-23-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
boards...
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-30-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
I have been riding a coex for like 2 years now, and it works well for what it is. Ive really liked it. Had people up to 175 free ride it, im sure heavier could, just need to have the skill.

But itll give you some room to learn and progress, it doesnt have much drive for airs but enough to get you started. Im upgrading this season to a shred stixx elevation