Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-19-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
I need a full wetsuit for Spring and fall riding, however if anyone can tell me what the difference between a 3/2mm and a 2/1mm wetsuit I would appreciate it. Is it basically the 3/2 is thicker and can be ridden in colder temp. waters?

Basic info about where I ride:
New Jersey, mostly rivers and bays at the Jersey shore. Temps while riding range from upper 50's to upper 60's, for the seasons I'm talking about. (I don't like to be cold.)

Thanks for the feedback.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-19-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
The first number represents the thickness of the suit (3 millimeters) at the core of your body, your torso. The second number (2 millimeters) represents your arms & legs. So yes, a 3/2 would keep you warmer than a 2/1.

It will just depend on how your body adjusts to cold and whether you are comfortable with the extra thickness.

If you really don't like the cold, consider a dry suit where you can where sweat pants underneath and stay completely dry other than hands, feet and head.

Good Luck.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-19-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
At 50-60* a 3/2 should suit you well :-) The thing you want to look for is ultra stretch, which most wetsuits are today and a nice back closure with a flap or a climb through neck. There are many brands to choose from and if you check ebay there are some good deals. The unfortunate thing is you can not try them on first. A wetsuit should fit very snug to your body. Any room and water will get in and chill you. A really good quality suit will let little to no water in.
Old    bocephus            03-19-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
Henderson!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
The quality of rubber is so good these days, you might even look at a 4/3. I have a 4/3 O'Neill Psycho and it provides WAY better mobility than my 5-year-old Jet Pilot 3/2. I agree with Peter that you should try it on, because if the fit is not optimal, then you've wasted your money. I wore a large in the Jet Pilot and was surprised that a medium O'Neil actually is a better fit for me (5'10", 175 lbs).

There is a really good shop up your way called Wavejammer.com. Look them up on the web and then see if it is reasonable to drive to the brick and mortar location. They stock a lot of brands and have very good prices. Good luck.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-19-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Justin I agree with the Doc. I have a 4/3 Ripcurl Core. It is plenty strechy and certainly warm.

If it gets a little too warm I just open the neck a bit and let some water in. It's much easier to cool off then it is to warm up.

You certainly should try them on. I've always been an XL but this suit I need the XXL.

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-20-2006, 12:01 AM Reply   
I have the Psycho II 4/3 also and it does work really well. I prefer it over a drysuit. Much of it depends on the air temp. If the water is 60* and the air is over 70* I would be cooking in a 4/3 and probably a 3/2. That is why I have a nice in between shorty. So we all should have asked the question what water and air temps are we talking about?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-20-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Justin, I just bought a 3/2 Oneil Psycho I and love it. I think Peter is correct in saying that a 3/2 will be fine in 50-60 degree water. Although I didn't get to try mine on because I bought it on eBay, the fit is really nice. It will keep you toasty. Here's a link if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONEILL-PSYCHO-3-2-Zen-Zip-wetsuit-BRAND-NEW-fullsuit_W0QQitemZ7227365168QQcategoryZ22712QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
awesome, thanks for all of your help!

very helpful indeed..
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-20-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
Here's a good point everyone forgets to tell you about....DO NOT pee in it!!!
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-21-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
ya, if you want a wakeboarding wetsuit with super stretch and you stay super warm and dry, go with the jetpilot chamber. the 3/2 acts like a regular 4/3 i have worn it all winter and its amazing i was never cold just hands and feet of corse.check it out at gotriver.com or go to jetpilot.com its the best on the market.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-21-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
"jetpilot.com its the best on the market."

That is a bold statement. Have you ever used other brands like O'neill, Ripcurl, etc.? Might have been better to say, "This suit works great for me!"

Does anyone else feel like our public school system is failing kids today?

Regarding peeing in a wetsuit...YUCK! I know pee is sterile, but I will never do it, since none of my wetsuits flush. Especially not my semi-dry Pinnacle Polar
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-21-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Little harsh, aren't ya Peter?

You really think the system is failing the kids? Because he didn't proof read? Talk about a bold statement.

Mike
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Not to get too far off topic, but it's obvious that the US educational system is failing. The global dominance of the United States was built primarily on superior abilities in math and science (i.e., technology) combined with seemingly endless supplies of natural resources (OOPS!). Resource exhaustion notwithstanding, we've recognized for a while now that the US has fallen so far behind that we now unequivocally suck at mathematics, and the latest evidence also now demonstrates that we are losing ground equally fast in science. There will be major implications. The chickens will come home to roost, sure enough, already starting to.

That said, I'm not sure how directly relevant it is to some kid on an internet message board.

(Message edited by dococ on March 21, 2006)
Old    bocephus            03-21-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
Henderson is awesome, it dries out in seconds and is easy to put back on after you get it wet. It keeps me warm and is super durable. It has a fabric feel outside that doesn't peel or rip. It's cheap too! Super stretchy too!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-21-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
ohhh nice controversal topic! Post it on the Non-Wakeboarding thread... would love to hear what people have to say. I have my own opinions and would happy to share.
Old    jay_23            03-21-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
back to the thread......."i think" a 3/2 suit would work for you Justin. i ride with my 3/2 in 45 to 50 degree temps in washington. good luck.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Yeah, back to wetsuits...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-21-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Mike, yeah I am being harsh. Guess I am in a bad mood so look out! LOL

Henderson builds a top of line wetsuit. My friend has a pair of their insta-dry booties and they are extremely fast drying.
http://www.hendersonusa.com/default.html
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-21-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
And I agree with Peter, check out Rip Curl, O'neill, Quiksilver, and others as well....

Mike