Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-28-2016, 5:56 PM Reply   
Originally, my plan of attack was to look for a boat in the $20-25k budget and I just accepted the fact that I would have to wait 3-5 years to buy one. So, I had done all my research and got knowledgable on this level/caliber of boats (early 2000s SANs, Mastercraft 205v, etc.). Because frankly, you can get some great boats in this budget, from what I understand.

Well, it appears that I just never realized that there is actually a category below this that you can wakeboard behind in the $10k budget. And I'm starting to think that if I went this route, I could have one possibly in the next year. Unfortunately, I don't really know anything about boats in this range. I don't know what I'm looking for here. Before you recommend using the search, I've done that a bunch. I've found that there are certainly boats that can be had in this range and even under, I just want more information.

I want a boat strictly for wakeboarding. No surfing at all. What am I looking for in the Supra, Nautique, Mastercraft, even Supreme, etc.?

Features I want included
-Tower
-Speakers preferably
-perfect pass would be a plus
-open bow

What boats can hold how much weight? Which boats need more weight than others, etc.?

As I've sound, I've found some of these answers in the search, but I still have some questions. And I'm sure you guys have noticed this as well, but some of these topics may be back from 2005, for example, and $10k boat threads are different then vs. now.

So, you guys are the experts. Please drop some knowledge.

Last edited by djsauer; 06-28-2016 at 6:01 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2016, 6:58 PM Reply   
Nautique 85-89 2001. 2001 being the model. One of the ultimate wakeboarding budget boats

Supra Sunsport The deepest boat of its time with huge gunwales and freeboard. Puts out massive wakes and has ton of space and open bow.

Nautique excel would be pushing the 10k range but close.

The one thing about these older boats is that most have wood stfu hers so you need to check those for sure.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2016, 7:39 PM Reply   
Those Nautiques 2001-model were built from '82-'89. Later models have a bit nicer interior, but the hull and wake are all the same. Wicked boats! No open bow though. You can find decent ones with tower for $6K-ish already.
You should also be able to find a Sport Nautique (Direct Drive), which is the same as the early Air Nautiques for $10K, and has the same hull (someone correct me if I'm wrong) as the '95-'06 Super Sport and Super Air Nautiques.
If you're super lucky you might even be able to find a $10K-Nautique Super Sport (V-drive). I missed out on 2 of 'm because they sell within hours, if one ever pops up. For 13-14K you'll definitely will find one, so if you can up your budget a bit, that's the way I'd go.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-28-2016, 7:46 PM Reply   
My brother is about to put up his boat (my old boat) He pulled it out of storage last week and is getting it cleaned up and running this week... I know for a fact he would take $11.5k for it if it sold between now and winter (don't mention I said that). Just over budget but will blow any direct drive away.

1995 supersport nautique with like 650 hours .... same hull has the pre-06 SANTE
New interior on the seat bottoms and sundeck
Open bow
Tower (is in rough shape but functional) w/ board racks, mirror, and 6x tower speakers, two subs in the boat
Semi auto ballast of ~2100 lbs
ACME 856 prop
Dual axle trailer

Boat is in central Wisconsin, so not too far from you... pics from when we pulled it out of storage

Seats and floor piece were just removed for storage -

older pic -
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-28-2016, 7:58 PM Reply   
I like that. Excuse my naivety, but what is semi auto ballast Nick. Btw, what part of central Wisconsin? I pretty much grew up riding on Silver Lake in Wautoma.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-28-2016, 8:03 PM Reply   
So the ballast is all on valves and piped in, but still requires a pump to go over the side. We built it was a Rule300 gph pump so it will fill 2000lbs in like 5 mins... but the inlet for the pump was so big we didn't want to cut a hole through the hull.

So the process goes :
Set valves for wakeboarding or surfing (you can isolate bags)
Toss pump over the side (permanently plumbed in outlet side) - pump is stored in the rear hatch
flip switch
wait 5 mins
pull pump in and ride.

So not quite as simple as throwing a switch, but still way better and faster than trying to fill 4x bags one by one with little tsunami pumps.

We live on Lake Sherwood, WI .... my house is about 35 miles West from Wautoma
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-28-2016, 8:06 PM Reply   
This is the only pic I could find showing how huge the hose for the ballast is - I believe its 3" that then reduces down to fit into bags.... a valve and elbow is also kinda visible.

There are 4 bags total:
Pro-X 500 lb v-drive sacs on each side of the engine
Pro-X fat seat bottom in the ski locker (fillts to maybe like 600 lbs)
Pro-X Triangle bow sac under the bow seats (fills to maybe like 600 lbs)
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-28-2016, 8:14 PM Reply   
Awesome. Thanks for the thorough response. Definitely better than filling bags one by one with the tsunami pump... I will 100% keep that in mind if it's still around when I'm ready.

What is the wake like? I grew up riding a 2001 tige 21i. Ride a little bit now on a 2014 Mastercraft X30. Ive got a few inverts, couple spins, so I have no doubt that it will be plenty good enough for me. I've just never ridden behind any of these boats.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       06-28-2016, 8:16 PM Reply   
I have a 1989 Ski nautique 2001. kicks out a good wake with 400 lbs of steel shot in the bow, a 750 sack behind the doghouse, and 4 people in the boat. is it is really small though, 5 people is a crowd once you put ballast and a cooler in the boat. This really a sub 10k option. Problems are wood stringers, carbureted engine(can flood, takes a minute to warm up), and everything just being 30 years old. upside is you can pretty much fix anything yourself, I have replaced the starter, capstan bearing, driveshaft, prop, steering cable, and can do a 50 hour oil/impeller change in 45 minutes. The 100 hour spark plugs, ignition points and transmission fluid just takes an afternoon.

If you can find a 93-95 Sport Nautique, sanger DLX, malibu sunsetter lxi for 10-12 k i would go that route and add a tower later. These are the direct drive versions on the SAN, Wakesetter, V210. You also get away from the wood stringers with these options.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-28-2016, 8:18 PM Reply   
With 2k lbs its as good as any boat has ever been until the latest gen wake yachts (X23 / G series / M235 / etc). The old X-star/205v and SuperAir/Supersport as some of the best wakes ever.... and its the same exact boat/hull as the SuperAir up until 06.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2016, 10:10 PM Reply   
Nick's brother's boat sounds like a super solid deal. If that doesn't work out, look into a V-drive Barefoot Nautique. You lose the open bow, but it should fit your budget better and those things have big blocks in them. You don't need much extra weight to have a really nice wakeboarding wake.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
i'm surprised that Nick's boat it still floating around for sale. you won't find another more turn key ride.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2016, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
i'm surprised that Nick's boat it still floating around for sale. you won't find another more turn key ride.
You also won't find a boat that has been offered for sale as many times without being sold as that boat...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
that has been offered for sale as many times
I would put it up for sale every fall ... if someone was willing to pay, it was all theirs and I would be on to the next one. Now that my bro has it and I have a newer wakesetter parked 10 houses down the lake, its priced right because it doesn't really do him any good.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2016, 8:09 AM Reply   
I wouldn't think of fall in the midwest as peak selling season. also I'm pretty sure thats the lowest price I've seen it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-29-2016, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
I wouldn't think of fall in the midwest as peak selling season.
Correct, because I really didn't care if it sold or not. I got my season's use, and if someone wanted to pay want I had into it, sold.... if not, use again next season. I had zero motivation to sell other than to fund the next upgrade (23 ft boat is what we had our sights on). Now that I own a newer and bigger boat, the supersport has gotten like 3 hours of use in the last two years since my brother just uses our boat... So the price is now realistic since he would actually like it to sell rather than not really caring if he kept it or not.
Old     (jtryon)      Join Date: Jan 2015       06-29-2016, 8:54 AM Reply   
that SS above is a steal, you should jump on that! i would say otherwise a Sport Nautique direct-drive is a great wakeboard boat and might be in your price range, but the SS will put out a better wake than that.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-29-2016, 2:26 PM Reply   
Yea that SS looks like a great deal. I would jump on that if it was closer. Nick, what height is that garage door it fits in? 12ft?
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-29-2016, 6:03 PM Reply   
All great responses. So you're saying this boats wake compares to the pre generation G series boats/X series boats?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2016, 8:08 PM Reply   
I don't know if I would go that far.... It is definitely one of the classic wakes in wakeboarding and by far the best wake you'll get for under 20k. It's not as good as the previous X-Star (2003-2013), but pretty close in my opinion to the pre G nautiques (specifically the 210 from 2007 on when they changed the hull). You can't compare to the 220 as it's a much bigger boat.

The Super Sport hull goes back to like 1997? The point is the wake on this hull is waaaay better than any option from Mastercraft, Malibu, Tige, or Supra of that era. There is a reason Nautique kept this hull in production until 2006. I liked it better than the new version 210 they brought out in 2007 personally.

One thing about it is its a very steep and abrupt wake, which I happen to like, but not everyone does. It is also narrow, which allows you to ride a long line which I also like.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2016, 8:14 PM Reply   
Some other options if you don't opt for Nicks....

Last year I picked up a 1989 Supra Sunsport for just over 10K. It is a direct drive but that's basically what you're shopping for at 10K. There are a lot of guys buying these and doing really good and thorough restorations on them (floor and stringers are the main concern since built with wood). If you can find one that's been gone through and properly done, with tower and good power train you're probably looking at 12.5 to 14K. You can buy them rough but running for as low as 5.

Again, this hull is good compared to anything else from the area because it's so deep. You can run around with a lot of ballast to get a good wake and not swamp the boat. I run 3k lbs and only limited by the 240hp, 27 year old, 1000 hr powertrain. My rub rail is nowhere near the water. A sunsport from 1992 on would be all composite and no need to worry about structural rebuilds.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2016, 8:27 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of the boat and wake for just over 10k.

Rider is 5'7" and at 65ft. 3000 lbs ballast.
Attached Images

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2016, 8:27 PM Reply   
22.5 mph
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-30-2016, 7:27 AM Reply   
A friend of mine purchased a 1999 Mastercraft Maristar 210 VRS with about 500 hours for $10,000 a few months ago. It's a great boat. Lots of room for a 99 (I think it has a 95 inch beam or something) and a nice wake.
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-30-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
That's a good looking wake, Dustin. I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting that.
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-30-2016, 7:33 AM Reply   
Dustin, you got any pictures of the boat in the water? With or without weight?
Old     (djsauer)      Join Date: Feb 2015       06-30-2016, 9:47 AM Reply   
what do y'all think of this? Just trying to look at everything out there.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Supra-Su...gan-57452.aspx
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-30-2016, 12:56 PM Reply   
I think that's is exactly the ticket.

Hard to tell the history though through the post. I'd want to know if this person was the owner and just decided to refurbish the boat. Or if this guy bought it as a salvage that was beat to holy hell and refurbished it. Also would like to know how many hours are in the rebuild and who did the work.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-30-2016, 8:25 PM Reply   
What he said ^^^^
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-01-2016, 5:20 AM Reply   
Am I going crazy, or in that ad is there an unaccompanied toddler in the boat who isn't wearing a life jacket?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-01-2016, 6:14 AM Reply   
Older Supras are fantastic boats and there is lots of them that need nothing refurbished that have been takin care of very well . One of my best friends bought an 89 sunsport that was really well takin care of and its a fantastic boat . The one you posted looks pretty good I'm not a huge fan of the upholstery work on it . I also hate to wonder what the boat looks like under the wrap .

A Sanger DLX is in your price range and throws a good wake as well
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-01-2016, 9:09 AM Reply   
Barring a fantastic find, older Supras are probably your best bet. That's what I was looking for until I found an 83 Ski Nautique for $4k in great shape. My list of wants were similar to yours but when it comes down to it, with a budget boat I knew I had concede some of my wants. I wasn't particularly thrilled about giving up open bow but it hasn't been as bad as I expected it to be, especially since it left me with plenty of money for upgrades like tower, stereo, and ballast. 3 adults and 3 kids works fine for us as has 4 adults. We could probably squeeze 5 adults without much discomfort. I guess my point is that what worked for me was having a rough idea of what I wanted and just being patient until something came along that was close enough and a good value.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-01-2016, 2:36 PM Reply   
Ah the 11k Supersport strikes again. No offense to Nick, but every time a thread like this pops up, his brothers boat is going up for sale next week for a great price, but never actually does. And I mean this has been going on for years. I actually had a hunch it was going to pop up before I even opened the thread lol.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2016, 9:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
p, his brothers boat is going up for sale next week for a great price, but never actually does.
Most of it was me as I mentioned before ... every fall I put it for sale when I owned it, but for more than it was worth. After the season I was happy to let it go for the right price, but if it was below my line in the sand I kept it for next year. Now that I bought a newer wakesetter and like about 500 ft. from my brother there is no need for two wakeboats. He had an issue with the thermostat last year so it didn't go up for sale, but as of last week it is fixed and running well so for sale again... at a fair price.

Its one of those things where its paid for, so if it doesn't sell who cares, if it does then we find a way to blow the money on the next toy. With all that said, neither he or I has actively listed on craigslist / only inboards / boat trader / etc .... just forums here or there since it isn't a big deal to get it sold. Even now its not listed anywhere for sale, just mentioned it on here because I know he would sell it but doesn't have a huge need to.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 07-01-2016 at 9:43 PM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-02-2016, 4:00 AM Reply   
To find an open bow under $10k you'll be looking at Supra or a Sport Nautique, though figure $2k-$3k to add tower and PP. Not aware of any others that commonly come up around that price. Add $5k and lots more possibilities open up. Just be aware wood stringers rot, check motor and trans mount lags for tightness and tapping stringers along the length is a decent check that you'll at least get a few seasons out of it before a stringer job is due. Supra and Correct Craft both went composite in 1993. On the Supras, round windshield is composite stringers. Look for a SunSport or Saltare (lots of freeboard).

Needs trailer and surely stringers/interior/etc. at that price: http://racine.craigslist.org/boa/5624734183.html

http://southbend.craigslist.org/bod/5614334595.html
http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/boa/5646625293.html
https://madison.craigslist.org/boa/5654881112.html
http://kokomo.craigslist.org/boa/5608319338.html
Supra Rider (SunSport hull), cheap: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/5620366566.html
Cheap Saltare, needs trans: http://appleton.craigslist.org/boa/5626452432.html
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/boa/5644257237.html

Sport Nautiques:
http://swmi.craigslist.org/boa/5658893911.html
Composite: http://rockford.craigslist.org/bod/5638444448.html
http://appleton.craigslist.org/boa/5609883306.html
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2016, 5:24 AM Reply   
Just so you know a super sport with the v-drive goes back to 1995. This was my first boat too and a really great boat. It's the same hull they used in the super air nautique's all the way until 2006. It's a smaller boat so with just 1500# of ballast it will put out a good wake.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-02-2016, 9:16 AM Reply   
Yeah Dane I think I have some pics of the boat in the water, I'll have to look on my computer.

Man this thread, and the $25k surf boat thread are really refreshing... compared to what WW has a lot of now which is boat pissing contests and help me decide which $125k boat to get...
Old     (4nryde)      Join Date: Jan 2016       07-04-2016, 6:45 AM Reply   
Nick, I am local and interested in your brothers boat. I sent a pm, let me know.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-04-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Nick, I am local and interested in your brothers boat. I sent a pm, let me know.
Can't get a PM to go through to you ... shoot me an email -

tomsyckn@gmail.com and I'll get you in contact with my brother.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2016, 4:54 AM Reply   
Supra sunsport for sale. https://up.craigslist.org/boa/5652998271.html
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-07-2016, 7:33 AM Reply   
^that sunsports ready to go!