Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-17-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
So, I'm gonna attempt to build a wakesurf board this winter... No snow-skiing because of a new addition to the fam and thought this would be a good way to keep me sane.

Does anyone have some advice from their own build?

I'm still in the research phase and have read/am reading some posts, blogs and books on surfboard building.

Thanks for the help!
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       09-17-2014, 8:43 AM Reply   
My best advice is do small trial runs on bits before going full size, it'll save you a shed load of time and materials
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Call Brock at Doomswell
409 692 6363
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-17-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
Does Brock sell all of the supplies needed? I have the foam, I have 1 board glued up with a stringer, shaped and sanded but need the fin boxes and glassing supplies.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
im pretty sure he can help you out Timmy
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2014, 9:40 AM Reply   
Chris,

There are countless videos out on vimeo and youtube which can walk you through basics. Key elements and sort of secret methods are not generally easily found unless working/mentoring with experienced people.

You can PM me, and I will walk you through the steps and how to deal with mishaps during each phase. A large part of building a board is being able to work through unexpected issues. There are about 16 steps to building a board, and something can go wrong at each of the steps.

When the time comes, I can provide supplies or recommend numerous distributors, both online or regional.

Nick
Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-17-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
I built a board this summer and based upon my experience this is what i know:
1. Buying a board would be less expensive (if only doing 1)
2. Rocker line is more important than outline shape
3. Don't buy big fins(i used futures f4 and they are too big)
4. I was happy using epoxy resin~ reduced health risk
5. Don't expect this project to last all winter. If you are motivated it does not take a long time to complete
6. I was happy that i bought a planer
7. The futures 1pass system is awesome
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-17-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
Chaos - Appreciate that, I will PM you.

Traver - I hope to make a couple over the winter, I'm sure I'll make one or two that are unusable.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will let you know how it goes!
-C