Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-14-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Don't MB's come pretty damn loaded standard? Aren't the only real options tower speakers, wake plate, metal flake gel, bimini, cover, heater, shower and the bigger engine? I would think even if you added all that stuff you would be around 5-7k more then the standard one.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-14-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Don't MB's come pretty damn loaded standard? Aren't the only real options tower speakers, wake plate, metal flake gel, bimini, cover, heater, shower and the bigger engine? I would think even if you added all that stuff you would be around 5-7k more then the standard one.
I think the bimini and the cover are standard. Or at least "typically equipped."
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-14-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
yep, bimini and cover are standard, I just sold a loaded 23 B52 with 9000 in options, additional ballast system, forward lights,metalic gel, tower and extra boat LED's, underwater transome LED's, extra amp and 4 tower speakers (2 60's and 2 MC 80's), galvanized trailer, wake plate, ZR6 409hp, flush kit, and some anodes, it adds up fast and yep it's going in the ocean.....Bali
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-14-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
not all but most went into that simple math that = ABOUT 9 grand
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-14-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Nice what was that one? 65-70?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-14-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
you're almost spot on, but there is a FL to CA trip involved also to check it all out, install the extra ballast system with a CA dealer and then I have to ship it overseas, willing to go the extra miles because I told the buyer I would
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-14-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
I guess he actually said they were 40k in 2009 (which is when they couldn't give them away based on the market)

And he said under 50 now...which I find pretty hard to believe since the website for a stripped F21 is 64k. Don't get me wrong, I hope people aren't spending over 60 for them.

So you are telling me that a 75k boat (somewhat loaded F21 with trailer etc) is 55k or under? (I'm just asking) - that is crazy. 25% discount!
Go back and read my post. I never said any of what you claim I said.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-14-2011, 9:21 PM Reply   
MY 2012 MB 21TWB BASE BOAT:
purevert ballast system, pre-wired folding tower, tower mirror, bimini and cover, depth/temp gauge, zerooff speed control, dual batteries, magnetic carpet, moring cover, clarion ipod stereo, wetsound boat speakers, wetsounds woofer and wetsounds amp.

WHAT I ADDED FROM MB:
led cabin lighting, led underwater lighting, trimtab, tower amp installed.

WHAT I DID NOT GET FROM MB:
heater, shower, tower speakers, trailer (I did not want a trailer).

A boat loaded up like this should price out in the mid 50s with trailer.
This plus great wake production, a great wake shape, superb quality and nice handling.
MB amazes me.

Last edited by diamonddad; 11-14-2011 at 9:31 PM.
Old    Nick911            11-15-2011, 5:14 AM Reply   
Can't speak for F21 but in Canada F23 loaded up was closer to 70K CAD (USD and CAD were on par at this time). Just a couple G-notes less than Enzo 230.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-15-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Go back and read my post. I never said any of what you claim I said.
LOL. I wasn't quoting you.
Old     (Lasershow1435)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-22-2013, 5:04 PM Reply   
Ive ridden behind all three boats the moomba puts out a good wake but isnt built with the quality mb and mc are flimsy is a good word to describe it. MC puts out a smaller wake than the moomba and the MB but is built with good quality. You cant go wrong with the MB it puts a huge wake with out ballast and unimagineably bug with and is built with top of the line parts and inlaid vinyls and it comes with a wet sound stereo system built in the mc and moomba are nice boats but dont compare
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
Just put up a poll asking "If you could have either one of these boats for free, X-Star or MB _____(insert name here because i have no idea)", i think you will get a good feeling on the answer. Now 230 vs X-star, might be a closer race.

You may be saving 20k on the MB but you will make it up on the resale value. I had an 01 X-Star (X-1now) from 01-04 then got the 210. We paid 42 for the x-star and they gave us 35 when we traded it for the 210 which i think was around 45. That's a hell of deal considering we pretty much destroyed the engine on the x-star from all of the years/hours of 3000 extra pounds of ballast, but they didn't care, still took it no questions asked. Don't think you would have the same results with an MB, and Jay is right, a slammed X-1 is my favorite wake out there. I like it more than the slammed 210, but the 210 handled the weight better. It would take half of our pass just to plane out on the x-star-1 and we had way more problems with it.
This is an easy question, I would take the MB23 any day because we like to do more than just wakeboard.

Xstars are specific to wakeboarding only, thier surf wake isn't desirable due to its short transition and very vertical face. 23 TWB throws a fabulous surf wake... and I'm an enzo guy
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Holy old thread revival batman.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Holy old thread revival batman.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-24-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
This thread is awesome. As an MC owner I will never buy a new MC. They are egregiously overpriced for a boat and I don't like the thought of bending over for a gross amount of money 5 years after owning it. I ride a 12 year old MC with no touchscreens and bs. I'm not sure how MC has stepped up their game with the touchscreens etc but they have sucked over the last few years. If I was buying a new boat I would want the simplest boat that was made well, filled bags quick, and was cost effective.

If you like crap like touchscreens, motorized towers, etc go get an MC

If you like basic go get an axis or MB. You could redo the entire interior with upgraded vinyl a few years down the road for 3k.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-24-2013, 2:05 PM Reply   
you won't have to replace the skins on a MB, same stuff MC uses, the Axis on the other hand....
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-24-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffresh View Post
you won't have to replace the skins on a MB, same stuff MC uses, the Axis on the other hand....
Wow classic scum ball sales guy rhetoric..........

This thread should have been left alone
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2013, 8:18 PM Reply   
I don't have the best comparison but I learned behind an 04? Mc x9 and it was a big wake. Made it hard for.me to begin. I now own a brendella and its a really good boat for me. I can't wait to.save up for an mb boat. I'm set on brendella boats. But I haven't been behind an mb.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quality and.reliability
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-25-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post

Really? So are you saying that Drew is being dishonest? I can't imagine anyone trying to make the argument that Axis interior quality is equal to MB. As a MC owner who has spent a good amount of time in MBs, I can attest that the MB upholstery is, without question, as good as the MC. Axis, although improved from its first couple years of production, does not exude the same quality as MB, MC or even parent company Mailbu.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
Adam, I agree with you that the MB interior work seems very good. Actually, I think the entire build quality of the MB is great from what I can tell.

I have a question for everybody. Do most people perceive "quality" as being "fancy/Luxurious" or do they perceive it as being of quality materials and processes that make it reliable and long lasting? The reason I ask this is a lot of people automatically assume something that is fancy or luxurious is of high quality when those things and quality don't necessarily mean the same thing. I could make something that looks really fancy but is a complete pile of crap because I use inferior components and build processes. I have no idea as I haven't been in an Axis recently but is the interior(vinyl and carpet) really any lesser quality or is it just more plain/simple. Does Axis use the same thickness and quality of Vinyl and the same stitching as Malibu? If so my opinion would be that it is of equal quality to Malibu but just not as luxurious/fancy.

For example most know about Mastercraft's problem with vinyl in the early to mid 2000's. Most probably would say that their vinyl interior was of very high quality when in fact it was of very low quality but fancy. It looked great but fell apart very, very easily.

Maybe quality can mean a lot of things and isn't the best way to describe wakeboats as it can mean different things to different people.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-25-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
Pretty sure axis uses the same vinyl now as Malibu?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-25-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
I think you are right Chase, I remember Chatt talking about that if memory serves. I would expect that the newer model Axis quality has increased since the first years.

I think what Brett brings up is a great point. Alot of it comes down to perception. Sometimes we view "bling" as quality when in reality the product just looks good with no underlying quality at all. I'm no expert at upholstery but from my experience poking around on these boats my gut is that the vinyl on the MB will be more durable than that of the Axis....and it looks better.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-25-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
For example most know about Mastercraft's problem with vinyl in the early to mid 2000's. Most probably would say that their vinyl interior was of very high quality when in fact it was of very low quality but fancy. It looked great but fell apart very, very easily.
I have an 02 MC and the vinyl wasn't great. From what I always heard is that it was a manufacturer issue. Not saying it wasn't an MC problem but I just replaced the factory "bad year" vinyl after 11 years of use. Mine wasn't in great shape but it was in far better shape than I would expect some boats to be in after that amount of use.
Quote:
I wasn't saying you would have to. I was saying you could. I didn't know that MB used the same new material that MC uses. I thought it was the older style vinyl that they used. I just upgraded my 02 to the 13' material that MC is using and it is of mind blowing quality. I'm not comparing it to anything so don't get the panties twisted but its nice freaking stuff! Typical stuff that would have stained the crap out of my old vinyl wipes right off no problem. Ive had a couple of boards dropped on it and was having a heart attack before I saw the rip.......nothing.

Quote:
I have a question for everybody. Do most people perceive "quality" as being "fancy/Luxurious" or do they perceive it as being of quality materials and
Couldn't agree more that there are different views. I am an MC idiot. I love older MC's and think for the era my x9 is built like a freaking champ. Its basic and built tough. I however think that the "bling" is overdone in the new MC's and even other of the bigger brands. I think all the electronics are crap and will be liabilities to break in a few years.

I think MB makes a hell of a product but just personally it doesn't have the same feel to me. I feel like MC does a great job on the small details. This is all personal opinion so stfu if you want to jump on me for it. I would love to buy an MB if it were slightly tweaked but thats the 20-30k price difference.

All that said MB makes a great boat. I think there is a big difference in what MB puts out and what Axis puts out though. Take that how you want to.

Quote:
I'm no expert at upholstery but from my experience poking around on these boats my gut is that the vinyl on the MB will be more durable than that of the Axis....and it looks better.
But neither MB nor MC offer dog fart pixelated camo vinyl. I'm just poking. I know that boats gives back but its still hideous vinyl.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-25-2013, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post

put the two side buy side ( we had Grandpa's across the isle at the Greensboro show and we did it )
there is no comparison, thanks for the kind words
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-25-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
Well, all I can say is that Axis is bringing its A game in 2014. There are some nice refinements coming out, and some important options that people have mentioned that will be added, all of which will make the Axis line even more desirable in the mid-tier vdrive market. Also, there have been some rumors about a larger Axis coming out. If, in fact, such rumors are true, and purely speculating on the possibility that one may have been told by someone in the know that the wake behind the rumored larger Axis is much larger than the A22 wake, and just assuming that maybe some pro riders have already been floored and astounded by the size and same of said rumored wake, I'd say Axis is focusing on what counts and will remain in high demand this coming season.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-25-2013, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Well, all I can say is that Axis is bringing its A game in 2014. There are some nice refinements coming out, and some important options that people have mentioned that will be added, all of which will make the Axis line even more desirable in the mid-tier vdrive market. Also, there have been some rumors about a larger Axis coming out. If, in fact, such rumors are true, and purely speculating on the possibility that one may have been told by someone in the know that the wake behind the rumored larger Axis is much larger than the A22 wake, and just assuming that maybe some pro riders have already been floored and astounded by the size and same of said rumored wake, I'd say Axis is focusing on what counts and will remain in high demand this coming season.
You forgot to mention the axis/malibu exclusive octane sensor.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-25-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Laugh all you want. The motors with the fuel learn programming will pull timing when you run regular gas. Hey, it's your boat! Use it however you want. Feel free to call Indmar and ask them about it.
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-25-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
Pretty sure in 2013 Axis went to a significantly better quality vinyl. I was looking at the 2013 Axis but just could not get past the windshield design.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-25-2013, 12:45 PM Reply   
my new MB 23 with a Indmar 5.7 350hp MBX (was MCX) only runs 2800 rpm @ 10.8mph , 6 people and 2400lbs of surf ballast
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-25-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
Hi Chatt, in all honesty, do you think that the Axis has the same fit & finish as the MB lineup? Just curious because you have owned one. We just had one here at the shop (2010) and my honest opinion is there is quite a bit of difference between the two. If you would, please name a few of the upsides to Axis versus the MB.

I don't want to seem like the salesman, but I really do think there is a major difference when you put the boats side by side. The MB interior seems to have much better flow and appearance. Would you agree? Also, in my opinion, the MB brings more to the table with standard equipment (Zero Off, bow filler, blue tooth, etc..).

I will give credit to Malibu as they always have great vinyl work, but the Axis does not share this in my opinion. You are a previous owner. Can you please give us some opinion on windshield, dash,hardware, etc? It's my opinion that Malibu can't include all of the same equipment, quality of hardware, vinyl, etc, and be competitive price wise. MB is family owned and operated and they don't have the overhead, employees, athletes, etc, that the big boys do so I think they bring the most bang for the buck. Please give me your side sir, respectfully. Craig.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-25-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
Just for the record, my complaint with the MB is room for me as the driver. I'm 6'4' and do not fit well in the driver's helm. If I had a legitimate complaint, that would be it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-25-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
Didn't this start as a MB vs. Mastercraft thread? How did Axis get into the discussion? Was it someone ringing their cowbell?
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-25-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Didn't this start as a MB vs. Mastercraft thread? How did Axis get into the discussion? Was it someone ringing their cowbell?
I believe the first mention of Axis was by a MasterCraft owner.....then Chatt had a few nice things to say about Axis boats never mentioning them comparatively and he gets called out like he said they were better than an MB. Oh well this is wakeworld..LOL.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-26-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
Craig,

In response to your posts, let me start by saying that I am not all that familiar with the MB models from the last, say, three years. I've seen a bunch of pictures on line, and I crawled around in an MB maybe four years ago. Accordingly, it's hard for me to give a fair comparison of the quality of the interiors between an Axis and an MB. Yes, I owned two A22's in a row. I now own a Malibu LSV, because my family really wanted surfgate. I'll say this, the vinyl on my LSV is more intricate and detailed than the vinyl was on my A22's. Portions of the vinyl (like the m-grain vinyl) has a different texture than the smooth vinyl that was in my A22s. It feels rougher - not in a bad way - but in a traction sort of way. The smooth vinyl on my LSV may be slightly thicker than the vinyl that was on my 11 and 12 A22, but that doesn't mean that the vinyl in my A22's felt substandard or anything. Is the vinyl on my LSV more aesthetically pleasing? I guess it depends on what your personal preferences are. I appreciate the simplicity of the Axis interior. The seats were super easy to clean. The vinyl in my boats held up just fine. I liked the chillax seating and the larger bow. The malibu vinyl feels great, and the interior is more ergonomic. My wife likes the Malibu interior more, because it is more comfortable for her and the kids to lounge around on in the cabin area.

The A22 interior reminded me alot of the interior of the SANTE 230's that I owned, and I'd say that the vinyl was very similar to that which was in my nautiques in terms of thickness, durability and texture. The seats were more blocky, with hard corners. There are benefits to both designs. There are components of the Malibu interior that are nicer than the Axis interior. The dash and glove box area are nicer on the LSV. The recessed areas where you put your cups in the cabin are made of nice, carpet covered, plastic, and there is some nice trim in the LSV. You should get a higher level of trim, though, for the added cost. That being said, did I ever feel like the Axis was chincy or cheap? No. I still really like the Axis interior. Now, all that being said, the '13 Axis vinyl is even thicker than what was in my old A22's. I'd definitely say it is on par with the non-grain Malibu vinyl.

You want me to make a comparison of a new A22 and a new MB. I hesitate to do so, because I'm just not that familiar with the new MB stuff. I haven't sat in one in years, so I'd be speculating. What I can say is that, from the pictures I've seen, the flow of the MB interior is somewhat similar to the Malibu interior. Soft corners, puffier seats, more intricate designs in the vinyl. I like the MB interiors that I've seen. Do I think that the MB interior is superior to the Axis interior in terms of design? I don't know that I can say that. It's a matter of personal preference, and both designs have their benefits. Simpler, more compartmentalized, interiors can be easier to maintain and cheaper to repair/replace if you puncture a skin. The chillax seating is very versitile, and allows for more seating that allows people to comfortably watch the rider. I, personally, like the Axis windshield and the simplicity of the dash and analog switches.

Now, is the vinyl on the MB different than that which is incorporated into the Axis. It appears so. It appears that the MB vinyl is more comparable to what is in my LSV. Some people will perceive that detailed, mixed texture, vinyl as being superior. It may be thicker than what was in my '11 and '12. I can't say, because I haven't been in a newer MB. What I can say is that what's in the axis now is every bit as nice as what was in all of the Nautiques that I owned, and I never thought that that vinyl was subpar or cheap.

Look, MB has come a long way. It's a great boat brand. They are doing great things, and have a lot to offer. Bluntly, other than styling, the main differences that I see between an MB and an Axis are: (1) MB's use of pure vert verses Axis' traditional pump based ballast; (2) Axis offers the wedge; (3) Axis has a much wider dealer network for warranty work; and (4) by being manufactured and backed by Malibu, Axis, as a brand, receives a lot more exposure through events like Brostock and through its well-known sponsored riders like Deano and Vandall. To me, when I consider those factors, they weigh in favor of the Axis. Obviously, that's just my opinion. Conversely, if you say that you would not consider an Axis because you feel that the interior feels substandard to that of an MB, I totally respect your opinion. The good news is that there are plenty of boats to go around, and lots of good options from both Axis and MB to make a variety of consumers happy boat owners.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-26-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
Chatt, I appreciate the response. I'd like to say that I wasn't calling the Axis cheap by any means. For that matter, pretty much everything inboard these days are getting better and better and I don't think you could go wrong with anything. Unfortunately, we (I) become hypercritical of the boats and i'm sure that is because of what I do for a living. It's the type A personality in me coming out needing to know what makes people like certain boats I guess. Please don't take it as saying the Axis is cheap. I guess it's kinda funny that I owned a 2001 Supra Launch back in the day before getting in to selling boats in the mid 2000's. I remember that was based on price and the fact that I couldn't justify spending more money as I was firefighter at the time. I'll be the first to say that I sell both MasterCraft and MB brands and I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford either of them and I'm lucky I have an owner nice enough to let my family enjoy the ones we have here at the shop.
Again, I appreciate your time you spent with the response.

If anyone has any direct questions regarding the MC's and MB's I'll try to give you an honest answer as we sell both brands.

By the way Chatt, I called Mark @ Boatmate as soon as I saw your new trailer and told him that I remember him saying that he was only selling the bad ass trailers to me? Nice work on that one man.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-26-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the compliment Craig. I hope you guys are killing it this season down in Texas!

Yeah, Mark is awesome. He was great to work with, and got my trailer just how I wanted it.
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-26-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
Good thread. Would read again.

I kinda want to buy a MB now.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-26-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
Chatt, I heard Aaron Hernandez is in need of good consultation.. Might want to reach out to him.. ha
Sounds like my 90's Cowboys teams up there right now..
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-26-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
Chatt, I'll have my MB23TWB on Center Hill lake July 21-28. It would be great if you could come and check out an MB. I'm offering this not to see what is the better boat, everyone has different needs and wants. I just want you to have first hand experience with one. I'll even provide BBQ.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-26-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
Jon

I appreciate the invite man! I think you invited me to come up last year too the same weekend. Unfortunately, that same week I go to Wrightsville Beach, NC to visit my parents and extended family, so there's no way I could make it up. Maybe we can put something together later in the summer. With a 2 year old and a 5 year old, it gets hard to travel much, either because I have to pack a mountain of stuff and two kids and a wife with me, or because, if I get to leave them at home, I catch hell for doing so. Chickamauga is a pretty nice lake too. If you ever get down in my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to meet up.
Old     (motoman160)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-26-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
I normally wouldn’t even get involved in these heated uneducated debates but I couldn’t resist this time.
First anyone that says MC are junk is a foul they are a great boats and have always been a leader in the industry. I do thank that the price for all these boats is way out of line! and I also find it crazy that most people try and make MB look like junk because they don’t add all the bs to there boats, they do what we all in the end want put out a huge clean wake!
Do your research the Brendels family has been building boats for ALONG time!!
So here’s what I will say go test them both out and buy what you like they are both amazing boats and I think that everyone that try’s to knock down what a great boat MBs are have never been on one! Don’t under estimate the MB!!!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-26-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
The Axis versus MB debate rages on. In keeping with my history of using high school analogies to potentiate my already salient points, I'd like to address the issue at hand using simile and metaphor.

Axis boats are like that loser kid in school that is kind of poor, (Oxford
comma representin') and no one really likes. He does however have a weird talent such as breakdancing skillz or maybe he can dislocate and relocate his shoulder. These skills are a nothing-burger in the scheme of things but they draw just enough interest from the cool kids that they don't throw slurpees in his faces.

MB is like the popular jock's sidekick. He's not quite as good looking or quite as good at sports but he gets the girls who only hope to eventually get closer enough to the popular jock to maybe draw his notice, at which time they'll upgrade.

Ok, I'll do Mastercraft:

The all-American with at least 10 Division I schools posturing for his letter of intent (he has both athletic and academic scholarship offers). He's who guys want to be and who girls want to be with, a real genuine Steve McQueen. But, in the last game of the year he gets his brain muddled by a concussive sack, loses his scholarship, and spends the rest of his life living in his long-begotten senior-year glory days.

Kids, stay in school.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-27-2013, 3:40 AM Reply   
Jet Ranger to the rescue! Such a smart guy! I wonder what school he went to? Can my fellow WakeWorlders guess?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-27-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
The Axis versus MB debate rages on. In keeping with my history of using high school analogies to potentiate my already salient points, I'd like to address the issue at hand using simile and metaphor.

comma representin') and no one really likes. He does however have a weird talent such as breakdancing skillz or maybe he can dislocate and relocate his shoulder. These skills are a nothing-burger in the scheme of things but they draw just enough interest from the cool kids that they don't throw slurpees in his faces.

MB is like the popular jock's sidekick. He's not quite as good looking or quite as good at sports but he gets the girls who only hope to eventually get closer enough to the popular jock to maybe draw his notice, at which time they'll upgrade.

Ok, I'll do Mastercraft:

The all-American with at least 10 Division I schools posturing for his letter of intent (he has both athletic and academic scholarship offers). He's who guys want to be and who girls want to be with, a real genuine Steve McQueen. But, in the last game of the year he gets his brain muddled by a concussive sack, loses his scholarship, and spends the rest of his life living in his long-begotten senior-year glory days.

Kids, stay in school.
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-27-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
^ @williamburell bahahaha! Exactly.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-27-2013, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Jon

I appreciate the invite man! I think you invited me to come up last year too the same weekend. Unfortunately, that same week I go to Wrightsville Beach, NC to visit my parents and extended family, so there's no way I could make it up. Maybe we can put something together later in the summer. With a 2 year old and a 5 year old, it gets hard to travel much, either because I have to pack a mountain of stuff and two kids and a wife with me, or because, if I get to leave them at home, I catch hell for doing so. Chickamauga is a pretty nice lake too. If you ever get down in my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to meet up.
No problem Chatt, maybe there will be another chance.

I'll open it to anyone else that wants a pull behind an MB. Send me a PM and we will work something out.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Craig,

In response to your posts, let me start by saying that I am not all that familiar with the MB models from the last, say, three years. I've seen a bunch of pictures on line, and I crawled around in an MB maybe four years ago. Accordingly, it's hard for me to give a fair comparison of the quality of the interiors between an Axis and an MB. Yes, I owned two A22's in a row. I now own a Malibu LSV, because my family really wanted surfgate. I'll say this, the vinyl on my LSV is more intricate and detailed than the vinyl was on my A22's. Portions of the vinyl (like the m-grain vinyl) has a different texture than the smooth vinyl that was in my A22s. It feels rougher - not in a bad way - but in a traction sort of way. The smooth vinyl on my LSV may be slightly thicker than the vinyl that was on my 11 and 12 A22, but that doesn't mean that the vinyl in my A22's felt substandard or anything. Is the vinyl on my LSV more aesthetically pleasing? I guess it depends on what your personal preferences are. I appreciate the simplicity of the Axis interior. The seats were super easy to clean. The vinyl in my boats held up just fine. I liked the chillax seating and the larger bow. The malibu vinyl feels great, and the interior is more ergonomic. My wife likes the Malibu interior more, because it is more comfortable for her and the kids to lounge around on in the cabin area.

The A22 interior reminded me alot of the interior of the SANTE 230's that I owned, and I'd say that the vinyl was very similar to that which was in my nautiques in terms of thickness, durability and texture. The seats were more blocky, with hard corners. There are benefits to both designs. There are components of the Malibu interior that are nicer than the Axis interior. The dash and glove box area are nicer on the LSV. The recessed areas where you put your cups in the cabin are made of nice, carpet covered, plastic, and there is some nice trim in the LSV. You should get a higher level of trim, though, for the added cost. That being said, did I ever feel like the Axis was chincy or cheap? No. I still really like the Axis interior. Now, all that being said, the '13 Axis vinyl is even thicker than what was in my old A22's. I'd definitely say it is on par with the non-grain Malibu vinyl.

You want me to make a comparison of a new A22 and a new MB. I hesitate to do so, because I'm just not that familiar with the new MB stuff. I haven't sat in one in years, so I'd be speculating. What I can say is that, from the pictures I've seen, the flow of the MB interior is somewhat similar to the Malibu interior. Soft corners, puffier seats, more intricate designs in the vinyl. I like the MB interiors that I've seen. Do I think that the MB interior is superior to the Axis interior in terms of design? I don't know that I can say that. It's a matter of personal preference, and both designs have their benefits. Simpler, more compartmentalized, interiors can be easier to maintain and cheaper to repair/replace if you puncture a skin. The chillax seating is very versitile, and allows for more seating that allows people to comfortably watch the rider. I, personally, like the Axis windshield and the simplicity of the dash and analog switches.

Now, is the vinyl on the MB different than that which is incorporated into the Axis. It appears so. It appears that the MB vinyl is more comparable to what is in my LSV. Some people will perceive that detailed, mixed texture, vinyl as being superior. It may be thicker than what was in my '11 and '12. I can't say, because I haven't been in a newer MB. What I can say is that what's in the axis now is every bit as nice as what was in all of the Nautiques that I owned, and I never thought that that vinyl was subpar or cheap.

Look, MB has come a long way. It's a great boat brand. They are doing great things, and have a lot to offer. Bluntly, other than styling, the main differences that I see between an MB and an Axis are: (1) MB's use of pure vert verses Axis' traditional pump based ballast; (2) Axis offers the wedge; (3) Axis has a much wider dealer network for warranty work; and (4) by being manufactured and backed by Malibu, Axis, as a brand, receives a lot more exposure through events like Brostock and through its well-known sponsored riders like Deano and Vandall. To me, when I consider those factors, they weigh in favor of the Axis. Obviously, that's just my opinion. Conversely, if you say that you would not consider an Axis because you feel that the interior feels substandard to that of an MB, I totally respect your opinion. The good news is that there are plenty of boats to go around, and lots of good options from both Axis and MB to make a variety of consumers happy boat owners.
My exp between the two boats, I've ridden in and behind an A22 and MB B23 is this. MBs Are nicer inside than most AXis's. You seem to get more bling for the buck in the MB than the axis, but it still feels more like a budget than say a mastercraft. The ballast is easier to deal with in the MB of course, but they need bow ballast, so you still have to fill bags.
The Axis wakeboard wake is head and shoulders better than the MB, but the axis is head and shoulders above most boats wakeboard wakes when weighted right.
The MB surf wake is much better than the Axis surf wake as long as you add bow ballast, if not they are a push.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-27-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
My vote for best ww post of 2013... long live Billy Madison!
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-27-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
I've never been in or behind an MB, but can tell you that I over thought my decision when I was choosing my new boat. ('13 A20) We all know the factors that come into play here: proximity to dealer, dealer relationship, will you be wakeboarding more, surfing more, options, price, etc. I chose Axis because I wanted an amazing wakeboard wake, good surf wave, have a great dealer within a 1 hour drive, and I was comfortable with the price after selecting the options that I wanted. I don't need a touch screen and all that other jazz. Before the Axis, I was filling all of my bags with a tsunami pump...I can sit in my boat now, flip a switch, and it feels like a million bucks. Is it a luxury wakeboard boat? No, that isn't the intended design or function. Does it feel luxurious to someone like me who loves a boat that can throw a huge wake so easily and still has all of the essentials? It sure does.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-27-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Congratulations on your overt plagiarism. Do you have any unique thoughts of your own or are you a 50-year old movie drone impressing the other dullards on this forum with your ability to copy/paste? Is that your game, pass on someone else's thoughts as your own? You remind me of the guy with the pony tail in the bar scene from Good Will Hunting, only I'm sure even he gets more squid than you.

Please retort with something original as up until now you've failed to summon even one inch of my intellectual ability.

As for my actual thoughts on MB boats; great budget boat but their prices are creeping up towards where Malibu and Tige are and if MB thinks they can compete with Bu and Tige they better get some better graphics, a decent surf system, some more interior carpet, and some mesh-backed seats.

Don't drink and drive.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-27-2013, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Jet Ranger to the rescue! Such a smart guy! I wonder what school he went to? Can my fellow WakeWorlders guess?
Thought you'd like my reference to MC living in the past when it was the best boat but I guess you're just upset I didn't do a Tige one....

For you Robert:

"A Tige Story"

Ugly and square
A surf wake only fair
Graphics from 2002
A surfing machine?
A wakeboard wake clean?
Thinks no one here but you
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-27-2013, 9:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Congratulations on your overt plagiarism. Do you have any unique thoughts of your own or are you a 50-year old movie drone impressing the other dullards on this forum with your ability to copy/paste? Is that your game, pass on someone else's thoughts as your own? You remind me of the guy with the pony tail in the bar scene from Good Will Hunting, only I'm sure even he gets more squid than you.

Please retort with something original as up until now you've failed to summon even one inch of my intellectual ability.

As for my actual thoughts on MB boats; great budget boat but their prices are creeping up towards where Malibu and Tige are and if MB thinks they can compete with Bu and Tige they better get some better graphics, a decent surf system, some more interior carpet, and some mesh-backed seats.

Don't drink and drive.

MB's are creeping up close to Tige and Malibu? I don't think so, at least not in most places. I would guess the average 21 tomcat or TWB is around 57.5K. I would guess the average VLX is around 80k. Tige Z1's are probably in the 75k range as well aren't they?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2013, 10:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post

Ok, I'll do Mastercraft:

Kids, stay in school.

I don't care how old the original thread was. That right there was worth bringing it back.
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-27-2013, 10:51 PM Reply   
Page 11 on MB vs Mastercraft? I first thought easy, Nautique. Right? But after spending 20 minutes scrolling to the top of page 11 trying to decipher what the hell everyone was arguing about, the stabs, the joust, the lies, the humiliation, the sweet 5 liners, I decided I better just cancel the next 5 days at the lake with friends and family and start from page 1. The decision will be made on what boat no one could ever pay me to take... WW is amazing! Happy 106 degrees in the valley baby!!!!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-28-2013, 4:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm sorry man you are completely right. Let me fix this for you....

“what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.” (Davis)

Works Cited:
Bibliography
Billy Madison. Dir. Tamra Davis. 1995.

Are we cool now? But seriously you compared boats to high school kids. I was hoping you were just drunk or strung out on an all night meat beating sesh but it appears you are serious about this ......or just taking the role of troll to the death.

Quote:
Creeping up? Your perception of money must be jacked. 15-20k is not creeping imho........its min 25%. 75% is 100%.....................said no one ever. Nothing wrong with MB's graphics. I also gotta be honest that I have never gotten in a boat and said "darn no mesh seats".

My apologies for feeding you good sir and bringing you out from under the bridge with which you reside. Feel free to go back to terrorizing small children as they cross your residence.

Last edited by williamburell; 06-28-2013 at 4:41 AM.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-28-2013, 5:59 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=JetRanger;1830473
"A Tige Story"

Ugly and square
A surf wake only fair
Graphics from 2002
A surfing machine?
A wakeboard wake clean?
Thinks no one here but you[/QUOTE]

if this would have been a haiku i would have been blown away.

Last edited by wakereviews; 06-28-2013 at 5:59 AM. Reason: ...
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2013, 6:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
if this would have been a haiku i would have been blown away.
Haiku's are a pain whereas iambic is a much easier forum to bash Tige with.

Plus you know what they say, "prose before hose" (poetry before typhoon pump hose).
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2013, 6:22 AM Reply   
@William

Please cite all your future stolen material in the standard APA format.

I'll use countries instead:

MB: Canada; respected enough, but in the end no one really cares.

Axis: Mexico; a great vacation but when you get back you always say "thank God I'm home."

MC: USA; greatest nation on earth now hated by everyone else in the world.

Nothing wrong with their graphics? That's pretty subjective don't you think? Their graphics remind me of a high school football player's arm tattoos from 2003.

And don't be hating on Tige's mesh seats. They changed the seating game in 2009 and any Tige dealer will tell you all about it.

Your submission is noted.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-28-2013, 6:35 AM Reply   
[QUOTE]
Quote:
@William

Please cite all your future stolen material in the standard APA format.
MLA mother lover

Quote:
I'll use countries instead:

MB: Canada; respected enough, but in the end no one really cares.

Axis: Mexico; a great vacation but when you get back you always say "thank God I'm home."

MC: USA; greatest nation on earth now hated by everyone else in the world.
Not sure if you've looked around lately but this country is 2 seconds away from the rest of the world flushing us into reality. No offense I love me some Murica' but our days as numero uno ended many years ago.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with their graphics? That's pretty subjective don't you think? Their graphics remind me of a high school football player's arm tattoos from 2003.
You want some tribal or something? They are decent classy graphics. Nothing wrong with simple. It keeps a boat classic. I mean I know I get a stiffy over the old tige tribal and MC overblown X graphics with flames and crap. Simplicity is a market that the entire market has ignored in many ways for far too long.

Also what is with your fascination with high school males? I mean its getting alil disturbing man. Is your tow vehicle a tan astrovan blacked out with dynamat covered walls?

Quote:

And don't be hating on Tige's mesh seats. They changed the seating game in 2009 and any Tige dealer will tell you all about it.

Your submission is noted.
I'll keep this is mind. Maybe I should have had my boat redone in mesh instead of vinyl. I can't believe I was so blind. And yes I sensed your sarcasm. Your tige jabs are awesome.........in a thread that has nothing to do with Tige.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-28-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-28-2013, 6:49 AM Reply   
JetRanger - your comments are funny, but it is all of course personal preference for each boater. Curious which boat you prefer?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-28-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
JetRanger - your comments are funny, but it is all of course personal preference for each boater. Curious which boat you prefer?
and here we go............
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-28-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
and here we go............
lol. Love me some more JetRanger...

Honestly this MC, MB, Axis pissing contest sounds like it should be on a powerboat forum...

Here is what matters. Go try all three, load them how you would if you were out with your family or buddies. Ride them. Pick one based on that. All three put out completely different wakes and that should be why you choose that boat (if you can afford it... cough MC cough). And all 3 are great boats for their own reasons.

Each boat has their pros and cons. Some boats use cheaper interior components, some can't turn around to save their lives, some you will be throwing pumps over the side, some you will not feel like you are in a living room or a private jet when sitting in it... They are all tubs of fiberglass with the same motor and rudders and are all overpriced for what you get. $50,000 - $100,000 and i have to reach over and manually lift and open the one window? seriously? And no A/C either? Really????
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-28-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   

Stolen from the mb tomcat 21v thread.

So here are the MB graphics packages:
1. Mike Tyson tribal face tattoo
2. Wish you could have an MC X series? No worries MB slapped the X everywhere for half the price.
3. The Winnebago edition.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-28-2013, 7:56 AM Reply   
WTF man, that's my old boat!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
I personally prefer Nautique because that is what WW tells me to like.

As a poor medical student however, my focus is tracheotomies and beta-blockers, not on pickle forks and 540's...
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post

Stolen from the mb tomcat 21v thread.

2. Wish you could have an MC X series? No worries MB slapped the X everywhere for half the price.
3. The Winnebago edition.
In the words of Icona Pop: "I don't care, I love it!"
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2013, 8:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
lol. Love me some more JetRanger...

Honestly this MC, MB, Axis pissing contest sounds like it should be on a powerboat forum...

Here is what matters. Go try all three, load them how you would if you were out with your family or buddies. Ride them. Pick one based on that. All three put out completely different wakes and that should be why you choose that boat (if you can afford it... cough MC cough). And all 3 are great boats for their own reasons.

Each boat has their pros and cons. Some boats use cheaper interior components, some can't turn around to save their lives, some you will be throwing pumps over the side, some you will not feel like you are in a living room or a private jet when sitting in it... They are all tubs of fiberglass with the same motor and rudders and are all overpriced for what you get. $50,000 - $100,000 and i have to reach over and manually lift and open the one window? seriously? And no A/C either? Really????
Wow, a real post, this thread has not gone to crap quite yet I guess.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-28-2013, 3:59 PM Reply   
"Rob:
3. The Winnebago edition. "

lol... that is funny right there, I don't care who you are. I never got the whole X graphic thing and how it relates to M's B's F's and 21's...... but it is my favorite of the graphic choices, nevertheless.
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-28-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Well whats your price range?
What wake shape do you prefer?

i hate MC's because i can't stand the mellow ass wake, but that's me, and i used to be the biggest MC fan boy, but i stopped sippin that kool aid. That and the fact they are overpriced. Them and CC are out of control but lets not get into it...

I understand that the MB wake is steeper and you could probably plumb in that extra 1500lbs over stock pretty easily if you wanted too and just added some pumps. So if you like a steep wake go mb
I like how you work in a quick slam, and then say let's not get into it. Face it, if you want the best you have to pay to play. MB is a good boat, but so is my stars and stripes, so are they apples to apples?
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-28-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
I like how you work in a quick slam, and then say let's not get into it. Face it, if you want the best you have to pay to play. MB is a good boat, but so is my stars and stripes, so are they apples to apples?
What makes it the best?

The lightning storm feature? push a button and the tower goes down in 30 seconds? I would prefer to push a button and load 2000 lbs of ballast in 90 seconds... And I don't even own a MB
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-28-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrongs, I can't afford a new Star or G. Luckily, don't really want one. I just thought that was a funny move to make, insult as you're shaking hands so to speak. That's the kind of thing that gets a guy hit when an argument could've been over in a bar.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
Had to put in my comment from the other MC thread as it was funny, relevant, extremely witty, and flew over the heads of everyone over there.

In reference to MC's "ugly towers":

Mastercrafts wear their towers like a beautiful woman wears those heavy-framed black glasses. They do it to signal that they are smart and serious and that they are so beautiful that they can wear ugly glasses.

Only the ugly glasses make then even sexier, catch my drift?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2013, 5:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
"Rob:
3. The Winnebago edition. "

lol... that is funny right there, I don't care who you are. I never got the whole X graphic thing and how it relates to M's B's F's and 21's...... but it is my favorite of the graphic choices, nevertheless.
Sorry to say that the X is going away in 2014, some have still been ordering the swoosh in 13, it was running from 09, will you still be able to order the X or swoosh in 14? I don't know, Mike Tyson...good one haha