Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-02-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
Nothing special compared to some of the bike's on here, but I'm pretty excited to jump back on the road. It's been a long time since I've have a decent road bike.
Attached Images

Old    alanp            08-02-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
nice bro!!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-02-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
Thumbs up, now flip that steerer over!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-03-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
Nice, I am about to buy a new bike as well. I am going the cheap route and having a carbon bike shipped from China. I already have a bunch of good components to throw on it. Hopefully I cna get it and have it setup in the next few weeks.

What model is that?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Good lookin ride Nick... Specialized has a good product line no matter where you buy in at. This is my last riding season on my Cannondale CAAD9 and then I'm going to a Tarmac with Ultegra.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-03-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
2012 Secteur Sport. I'm going to see how into this I get. I didn't want to drop $2-3000 only to turn around and take a hit on Craigslist in a year. So far it's a lot of fun though!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-04-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
Nice, you took a good approach for trying it out. Like you said you won't be out too much money if you don't like it much. Specialized bikes have the best resale in the Seattle area so it should be easy to sell for a premium if you need to. If you really want to get back into it I would check out Team in Training and see if they have any training teams in your area. It is a great way to get into riding, meet great people, see great rides and raise money for a great cause. It may be too late now to join a team but maybe next year?

Here is the basic bike I am going to build up. The one I get won't have the wider weave. The one in the picture has a matte coating, mine will be gloss.

Last edited by polarbill; 08-04-2011 at 8:51 AM.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2011, 3:52 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new ride!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-04-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
Took it out for about 12 miles tonight. Would have gone a lot farther, but the county has decided to tar and rock about every paved road within 30 miles of my house. Felt really good. Beach, I need to get down that way and get on some of those hills!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-05-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
Do make those bikes in Adult sizes??

Just kidding. Enjoy the new ride!!!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-05-2011, 9:08 PM Reply   
Brett- let us know how those Chinese Carbon bikes ride once you get it built up. I have been eyeing those on ebay for a while now and am tempted to buy one just to see how they work out. I think they look great and Im sure they will ride fine but you never know. But for $420 its worth a shot.

What Components are you going to build it up with?
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-05-2011, 9:11 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/All-Carbon-Fiber...item3a6818c6e5
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-06-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by three6ty View Post
Brett- let us know how those Chinese Carbon bikes ride once you get it built up. I have been eyeing those on ebay for a while now and am tempted to buy one just to see how they work out. I think they look great and Im sure they will ride fine but you never know. But for $420 its worth a shot.

What Components are you going to build it up with?
It will have Red double tap levers, force RD, 105 FD, Rival or Force CD cranks, not sure on brakes yet, Sram PG1070 11-28 cassette, Zipp slc2 bars, thompson Elite seatpost, Mavic Aksium race wheelset. It is a big time frankenbike but whatever. I am thinking white bar tape, saddle and white ronix stickers on the frame. Custom Ronix Carbon road bike.

By the way I will have a 59CM Raleigh Team all carbon frameset with BB30 bearings and BB adapter for sale. The frame is brand new replaced under warranty and the bearings/adapter are new as well. It is too big for me.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
This is my baby. I love it.
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
sweet ride!

heres my oldie. Campy components. lost the clips for some flats so its an easy commuter since im not too into road anymore.

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-08-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Well, I went a completely different route. A 2007 Jamis Ecliipse carbon/reynolds 853 frame popped up on craigslist that had only been ridden for 200-300 miles. I am going to build it up with my parts but think I found a force compact double crankset and FD that I am going to buy as well. the ride will be all force with Red levers in the end. Here is a picture of the frame I found on google images. I will get a picture of the actual bike when I get done.

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-20-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
Took an 11' Tarmac full Ultegra out last night for a 20 mile spin... This thing is filthy nasty fast...

There's no way I can return this much pure unadulterated speed to the bike shop! I've got an 09 Cannondale for sale if anyone is interested, will post details shortly!

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  90.8 KB
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-23-2011, 5:23 AM Reply   
I've had the Tarmac SL3 out for 3 rides this week, and all I can say is this thing is freakish fast. It almost rolls on its own! I love the full size crank over the compact I was riding on my Cannondale. We have big group rides in my town almost every night of the week and our Tuesday night ride is probably the fastest of those. The quickest I've ever finished the Tuesday route is 1hr 8:02 and the first time I rode it on this bike I shave close to 6 minutes off that!

I went ahead and called my LBS yesterday and told them they weren't getting it back. They are mailing me the bill (ouch!)

I'll weigh it when I take it in for final fitment and adjustment but I'd guess its somewhere in the 16lb range without pedals.

If anyone is looking for an aluminum frame bike with good components I've got an 09 Cannondale CAAD9 with Full 105 for sale (last all USA made frame), weighs in around 19.5lbs without pedals - $1100 obo.

Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-23-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
SWEET ride man, Specialized builds awesome stuff. I used to work at a bike shop and went out to their facility in Morgan hill, got to ride all the bikes I could never afford. This is my Cannondale R600, good mid/low level bike but I can afford to fix her if need be.
Attached Images

Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
ok guys the wife is looking into entry level road bikes she completed her first half tri last month and rode her mtn bike.
I have been told to expect to pay atleast 1,000 but frankly we can not afford it while we search for a house.
Any help?
ITCH
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-26-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullonsalesgrp View Post
ok guys the wife is looking into entry level road bikes she completed her first half tri last month and rode her mtn bike.
I have been told to expect to pay atleast 1,000 but frankly we can not afford it while we search for a house.
Any help?
ITCH
Fit is key and craigslist is your friend for bike deals. I'd shop around a bit at new bikes and see what deals are out there. Dealers will start to clear out 2010 and 2011 models they have on hand soon. Once you get an idea of what fits your wife, you can all ways shop Craigslist for deals. I'd think lots of bikes will be coming up for sale as the season is kinda over.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-27-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
Definitely hit up your local bike shop. That's how I ended up with the Tarmac, I called to order a 2012 only to find out they had a leftover 11, and there was negliable difference between the two years but $200 in price sticker to sticker. The 11 they discounted $500 because it was end of season, and they needed space for the 12's...

My CAAD9 I purchased on ebay after figuring out what I wanted and what size. I sold it on ebay yesterday, so it went full circle!

Lots of good buys on CL too, ebay auctions if you're patient. Just remember you might buy off ebay and save $100-$200 but if you buy at your LBS, chances are they'll do all your tune ups, maintenance and adjustments for free for the life, at very best the year.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
Beach, you got a loop planned this weekend? I hope I can hang with that beast for at least 10 miles!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2011, 5:00 AM Reply   
You better believe it!