Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-28-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
The wife green lighted me on a new stereo. We want tower speakers and have nothing useable in the boat now. Need new deck, inside speakers, tower speakers, bass, amps, everything. What would be the best setup for that budget? Thanks.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-28-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
I would suggest a clarion marine head unit. You can pick those up cheap on ebay ($100). Then order Wetsounds xs650 interior speakers, a xsfa-10 free air 10'' sub or an xs-12 sub. You could push those interior speakers and sub with a syn4 amp. Depending on how many xs650's you need, your cost on the interior stuff would be around 1k-1.3k. You could then buy a set of pro 60 tower speakers and push them with a syn2. That would probably end up being around 1.3k. Maybe you could find some demo wetsounds tower speakers or maybe work out a discount with a local dealer.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-28-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
I don't think I'd use a Syn4 for the sub and 650's.

I'd pick up an Alpine head unit, such as the 9886M.

In-boats: 2 pair of Wet Sounds SS-65's
Amp: Wet Sounds Syn6
Tower's: 1 pair Pro60's or the XST-65's'
Sub: XS10FA D4
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
GOOD LUCK components alone will eat that up.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-28-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
If you shop around and search for discounts you will be able to put something nice together for 2k. I know wetsounds are the **** and all but there are tons of good quality brands out there. Go listen to various brands and see what you like and go from there.
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-28-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
From the Tower perspective, what is your goal? To hear it while wakeboarding, or have it sound awesome in the boat more than be loud enough to get to the rider?

With your 2k budget, will you be doing the install yourself? if so, do you already have the power, fuses, and speaker wire? Do you already have a second battery, or would that also be added to the cost?

Just some things to help these guys help you.....

Wetsounds is what everyone on here seems to recommend (or Exile), but you can get PLENTY of good tunes out of less expensive equipment in my opinion...really just depends on what you are trying to do....
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-28-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
No I won't be doing any of the install myself. It wouldn't be good for me or the boat! We are looking to get sound back to the rider. I figured that with 4 inside speakers the inside of the boat would sound good. Then throw a "switch" to get the sound back to the rider. How does that work? With the tower speakers blazing, is the inside of the boat unbearable with the inside speakers at full. Is there some kind of switch?
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-28-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Give Brain at Exile Audio a call 1-888-249-0970. He is a excellent guy to work with and will lay everything out you need (Decks, interior/tower speaker, Amp).
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-28-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Ranch,

Where are you located at? Let me know and we can find you a dealer where you can go take a look and listen and see what they can do for you

You can add a WS-420 if you want to truly have flexibility for towers and in boats in two zones. You have independent control of the tower volume and eq adjustments and independent control of the in boats and eq adjustments, bass boost control for the sub, microphone to talk to the rider, 5 volt line driver to boost voltage to the amps, boat link to tie up to other boats, aux input for i pod etc..

This is how you can really tweak it out for the rider and not blast the passengers.

The most basic route is to fade front to rear on the deck. Fade towers on rear and in boats on front. Or you can add single volume knobs for each amp. So it really depends on how much control you want.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-28-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
I am no stereo guru, but there are a few different ways to control the in-boat vs the tower speakers. You can use a switch on the remote to the amp that has the tower to cut them on and off, you can use a PAC1, WS-420, or you can set it up to be able to use the FADER on your stereo.....really just depends on your setup.

If you are going to be paying someone to install, you may want to start looking at the Krypt HLCD speakers (if you want to get the noise to the rider)....they are probably the most economical HLCD on the market at this time. You can also go with some regular (non-HLCD) speakers in cans. I used to have a set of H2OPRO 6.5's on my old boat and tower (KTM6 speakers in them) and they worked well to hear in the boat and around the boat, but not out to the rider.....I did not really have a good amp running them either though.

Good Luck!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
you got so many options at 2k dude.... you could do 2 pair of bullets for the tower ... two kicker amps... clarion head unit....then prolly bullet interior speakers and sub for 1600 bucks... look around... don't be afraid to buy used (in good condition)... search craigslist (www. craiglook.com)... I spent 1100 bucks on 2 pair of KM6000s, two amps, a pair of KMT6s, and all new wiring. It sounds good enough for me!!
Old    mojo            06-28-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
do yourself a favor and call ear mark marine and talk to david. best guy around who s truly helpful and won't upsell you
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-28-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
With a budget of 2K you will be hard pressed to find a complete solution installed anywhere.

You can ebay all the parts for maybe 2K, but you will need to give up some quality in order to do so, and I do not think it is possible to get a complete package (Deck, interior, tower, sub and amps installed in a boat and done right for much under $400 if you supply the componets.

Your best bet to do it right is go at it in phases.

Start with a good foundation, maybe interior, deck, amp and sub. That should be able to be done for 2K, but once you add in the tower you are breaking the 2K quickly.

+2 for
Brian at Exile, call him up and ask him what he can do and who he can recomend in your area for the installation. Make sure you have this installed at a shop that knows boats, not one that has done a few, one that KNOWs them. If not you run the risk of return trips to fix little issues they thought they knew.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-28-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Hmmm....budget system...I'll give my ideas in each category

Headunit
  • $299 - WetSounds EQ for the source, no head unit. It will require you to only use an iPod or the like but will allow you to control the tower speakers at the same time. Pretty good budget move if you can live without a CD or Sirius.
  • $296 - Clarion CMD6. No easy way to control the tower but a good headunit for iPod, MP3, Sirius, etc

Tower
  • $899 - WetSounds Pro485 - This will work well on the tower so the rider can hear it.

In Boat Speakers
  • $140 - Polk db651 - Two Pairs
  • $500 - WetSounds XS650 - Two Pairs

Amps
  • $365 - Alpine PDX5 for the in boats and subwoofer
  • $350 - ARC 300.2 for the 485. That is 700 watts to that speaker, I'm sure you'll be able to hear it just fine 70' back.
  • $95 - Kicker ZX 200.2. 200 Watts RMS is a little underpowered for the 485 but you're on a budget.

Subwoofer
  • $170 - Kicker 12" L5. Dual 4 ohm wired to 2 ohm for 300W from the PDX5 sub channel. A little underpowered but should still rock the boat.

Without any cables, material (box) or labor using the Polk in boats and Kicker tower amp you're right around $2000. You're probably going to have to choose which parts can be done now and which can be done later but that would be a solid setup.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Installation can get real expensive, real fast........especially if you take a it a shop where you didn't buy the products from them.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-28-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Ranch Dweller -

Everyones given you some good points to look at. I'd suggest you look at your stereo as three zones:

Tower
Cabin
Sub

Each of these area's can eat up little dollars or mega dollars depending how you approach it. The best advise anyone can give you is to take a systems approach and design a stereo that one area isn't going to blow away another. What good is having a 2,000W sub beating your face off if your cabin speakers are running off deck power.

If you want to run Exile gear, I'd take a moment and give my office a call /email and we can rap about what makes the most sense for your boat and connect you to a retailer if you need help with installation. I suspect on here you'll get so many suggestions you'll be overwhelmed at some point.

To answer your question directly: we can put you in a complete system for 2K but the install will eat up a lot of those dollars. Breaking apart by zone as people have mentioned would help. Many of the guys on here have done the same.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-28-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Brian (Brianinpdx) is the guy who I purchase my setup from and he has been so helpful. I dont even know how many emails and phone calls were made when I was installing my setup early this year. I would highly recommend to at least call him to consider your options. Go to exileaudio.com. I have to say that my tower setup i have rocks that I got from him,and hopefully soon I will get the interior complete.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
A Kicker ZX 700.5 can also be used to power everything inside the cabin and you can pick those up on ebay for < $350. If you go Pro 60's, don't do the Kicker ZX200.2, I have that amp powering those and I couldn't be more disappointed in the volume level. You definitely want something that is 150x2 on the tower speakers.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
^^^^ zx200.2 is way too low.... I went with the zx450.2 and love it .... amps on ebay are cheap!!! I only spent like 450 total for both amps...
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
o and do the installation yourself!!! save the money and learn about your boat
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-28-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
^^^^ zx200.2 is way too low.... I went with the zx450.2 and love it .... amps on ebay are cheap!!! I only spent like 450 total for both amps...
My recommendation was on finding a full frequency mono solution on the cheap. A 450.2 bridged on the spec sheet shows an identical 200 watts that a zx200.2 does. If that really should be 450 then of course that's the way to go. If it really only is 200 watts bridged there's no reason to spend the extra money.
Old     (weeznur32)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-28-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
with your budget i would avoid wetsounds except for tower speaker(s) and possibly EQ. Believe it or not there are oter companies that produce quality amps and in boat speakers for a FRACTION of the cost.
Old    mojo            06-28-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
i would start with a head unit, preferably not clarion, in boat speakers, and a 5 channel amp. with that you'll need power/ground wires, fuse, etc. if you aren't installing it yourself buy from the shop. as sad as it is to say they will do a better job because of it. it's better to build your in boat system first. almost every tower speaker on the market will not allow you to listen while riding so do those last IMO., also if you don't want a head unit and just get the 420, you can get the sirius app for your phone and run it through the aux on the 420.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil0ne View Post
My recommendation was on finding a full frequency mono solution on the cheap. A 450.2 bridged on the spec sheet shows an identical 200 watts that a zx200.2 does. If that really should be 450 then of course that's the way to go. If it really only is 200 watts bridged there's no reason to spend the extra money.
Kicker ZX450.2 is:
150 watts RMS x 2 channels at 4 ohm
225 watts RMS x 2 channels at 2 Ohm
450 watts RMS x 1 channels at 4 Ohm bridged mode

Kicker ZX200.2:
70 watts x 2 chan 4 ohms:
100 watts x 2 chan at 2 Ohm
Bridged, 4 ohms: 200 watts x 1 chan.

I'm not sure where you are located but you can also contact Mike and see what he can put together for you. He sells several lines of equipment and does nice installs too: http://mikesliquidaudio.com/

Last edited by timmyb; 06-28-2010 at 3:05 PM.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-28-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Kicker ZX450.2 is:
150 watts RMS x 2 channels at 4 ohm
225 watts RMS x 2 channels at 2 Ohm
450 watts RMS x 1 channels at 4 Ohm bridged mode

Kicker ZX200.2:
70 watts x 2 chan 4 ohms:
100 watts x 2 chan at 2 Ohm
Bridged, 4 ohms: 200 watts x 1 chan.

I'm not sure where you are located but you can also contact Mike and see what he can put together for you. He sells several lines of equipment and does nice installs too: http://mikesliquidaudio.com/
If only Kicker's website said the same thing, we need to get Phil to smack someone around.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
I agree - I don't like Kicker's website for specs. All of their specs for 2 channel amps only list the 2ohm watts/channel which I never run! I want the 4ohms! LOL!
Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-28-2010, 4:13 PM Reply   
depending on what you get it could be alot or not
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       06-30-2010, 9:43 PM Reply   
If you decide to go with kicker, let me know as I have some extras from an install I just did on our boat.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
I'll give another shot out to Exile, they know the ins and outs of thier gear since they actually designed it themselves. Great guys and superior customer service as well. Give em a call, they'll take care of you.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-01-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
I've spent more money on stereo stuff than I care to admit over the past 4 years. This season I finally ended up installing XS650's (powered by a syn4) in my 2010 230. There is absolutely no comparison between the wetsounds interior speakers and anything else I have ever heard in a boat in terms of sound quality and quantity.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-01-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Ranch -

Nice talking with you yesterday. The headunit model number I was suggesting for you was a Kenwood 700U. It has a high voltage output and is well built and is reasonably priced.

Enjoy your new Exile gear. If you need any help tuning, let me know...

- Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2010, 2:06 AM Reply   
Not to be a stick in the mud, but keep in mind your power source is going to be important. I've found this to be a pretty expensive part of having a system. Onboard chargers, multiple batteries, battieries crapping out, 0/1 guage wiring, amp racks ... starts to add up...
Old     (stu929)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-03-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
+1 For the Polk DB651's yes I know they aren't some uber expensive speaker but they sound damn good for the money. Picked up 4 of these on ebay $110 Shipped built the enclosures myself and now the boat sounds better than my brand new car. Plan to add a tower soon, will most likely pick up 4 more and mount them in some cans and throw them on the tower.

If nothing else I would consider them for you onboard speakers and free up some extra dough for other parts of the system.

Steve
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Nice choice on the Exile Gear.
I agree with the comments above. Brian and the team over at Exile are doing it right.
Great technology, amazing customer service, and just an overall real approach to helping each end user to get what they are looking for.
Congrats!!
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-05-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Clayton - You bring up a good point. And yes, I often times have to be the guy that says, "forget about that second pair tower speakers until you build the backbone of your system". In this paticular situation he's having the gear professionally installed.

Your comments are not at all stick in the mud. It's just got factual information to know up front. And yes, doing it right the first time pays for itself in spades in the long run!

What do you mean we cant just reuse that factory 22gauge powercable. Eh?

-Brian
Exile Audio