Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-14-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
I'm planning to put a 3-Some setup on my new 210. Planning to use the factory Polk amp that comes in the boat so my question is will that be enough power?

90 watts RMS to each Pro 80 on channels 1/2.

250 watts RMS to the 485 with channels 3/4 bridged.

I know the 485 is rated at 300 watts RMS so I am pretty confident that the 485 will be fine but a little worried that the 80s will be under powered so much that it will affect the sound. The 80s are rated for 200 watts RMS so with this amp they will be getting a little less than half of what they can handle.

Ideally it would be best to replace the factory amp with a SYN4 or possibly a SYN6 but I have limited cash for add-ons right now and a bimini is much more important now than a more powerful amp.

To anyone running Pro 80s, how much power do you have going to each one?

(Message edited by aarond0083 on January 14, 2009)
Old     (earmark_marine_audio)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-15-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Aaron,

Your existing amp will work but its certainly less than optimum power to get the full benefit from your Wet Sounds investment. However, in the context of a 3-Some it would be worse to under power the 485. The real issue is that it takes symmetrical power to the inside 485 and outside 80's in order to balance the output. Otherwise, you'll either have wasted speaker or wasted amplifier potential. Both the SYN-4 and the SYN-6 put the excess power in the middle which is preferred.

I have a good prescription for how to tune a 3 Some if you are interested.

Juston

marine@earmarkcaraudio.com

(Message edited by earmark_marine_audio on January 15, 2009)

Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-15-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
Get the amp. The factory polk amp is not enough. I have heard side by side the difference in the factory polk amp and the syn 4, and its night and day difference. So much so that I just bought a pair of 485s and syn 4. I was completely sold on the syn amp after hearing it.

The bimini you could always wait till mid summer when it gets really hot. I think you would be happier with the amp up front.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
I would agree to look at upgrading the amp. Trust me, you want to get some power to these to really make them shine.

With the PRO 80's you really want to do at least 125 to them. I prefer to run more. For instance, you could use the amp you have now and bridge it into 2 chs and have 250x2 for the 80's and add a SYN-2 bridged to the 485!! (700x1) But then again the SYN-4 is really close to the price of the SYN-2 anyway. And you could then sell the Polk amp off and still only have the one amp for the tower. That way it is not as much of an investment.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-15-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
TIm,

I noticed the 485's are rated to 300RMS watts, are you still offering a warrenty to those who push that many watts to one 485? If so, I'll be buying one.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Mike,

The 485 is rated at 300 watts RMS. That is the good power rating to get them to perform well. They will handle more power than that but not needed for most people. But yes can handle it for sure. I always run more power than needed.

Your are more likely to blow a speaker with too little power than too much. Yes you can surely blow a speaker with too much power. But most times it is the square wave (clipping) that damages a speaker. Someone doesn't have enough power so the gains get maxed out which clips and amp. the volume gets maxed out which clips the signal even before it gets to the amp. So by the time it gets to the speaker, poor speaker is just reproducing what it is sent. Which is a badly clipped signal.

When a higher powered amp is used. You can run cleaner power to the speaker resulting in more headroom and more dynamics. You can set the system with the volume at a good level on the source so that it is also sending out a clean unclipped signal. You just need to be more careful when tuning a system with a lot of power.

We warranty our products for manufacturers defects but the warranty is void if we see that it has been abused. Which could be from underpowered or over powered improperly. So getting the system set up right and knowing the limits of abuse is key. When set up and used correctly, you will not have any issues.

We installed 2 pairs of 485's on the roof of the Texas Ski Ranch, going on 3 years. Up on the roof and outside all the time. Powered with a pro audio amp used for concert speakers. This amp does 1800 watts. So 900x2 at 2 ohms. So 450 per speaker. This system has been rocking away for 3 years. I tuned the system myself though so it is set at a good level and very clean.

So if you go for the power. Give me or Gyver at the office a call when setting it up and we will make sure you get it dialed in.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-15-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
I'm sold. Income tax return time! I have been wanting to upgrade my system for a little while. It seems like I am always working on it. LOL. I have traditionally used JL subs and amps but am really excited about your new amps. The shop that does installs my boat stereo equipment is a wetsoundd dealer so I will have ole' Gus and his crew do the install right. They are top notch.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Sweet! You will love them.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-15-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely will upgrade my amp at some point but I struck a deal with the wife when I ordered the new 210. Bimini is a must for her as we didn't have one on the previous boat.

As long as I am not going to damage the speakers running 90 to each Pro 80 and 250 to the 485 I will run that setup for a summer.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-16-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
Just placed an order for a pair of Pro 80s. I am going to run those bridged on my current amp at 250 watts RMS per speaker.

When I add the 485 to complete the 3-Some I plan to replace my stock Polk amp with a SYN4.

Can't wait to hear these!