Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
I plan on getting rid of my Maxima and getting a truck somewhat soon. I'm a big fan of the Nissan Titan and also the Toyota Tundra in the 2004-2006 range, 4x4m and crew cab is a must. If you own either of these two trucks please provide your experiences with them, both good and bad.

I know they get in between 14-17 mpg, and both offer a V8. I'm really just looking for some feedback from owners of these two trucks because I am having a tough time pushing myself on one side of the fence. The "end deal" is of course going to be a factor but thought that some WW'ers would be able to give some solid input into both trucks. Thanks for your help.

By the way, I don't own a boat so will not be towing regularly. I am a proud boat whore but I need a truck to suit my tastes because I like to go camping, hiking, biking, etc. and I cannot fit anything in my maxima. I plan on hopefully being able to afford a boat in the next 5 yrs. but that's a ways away. If you're wondering why I would get rid of something that gets 23 mpg and getting into something that gets 14-17 with gas prices the way they are, for daily commuting it won't really hurt too bad because I live 8 miles from work.

I just need a truck!
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-15-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
I have a 2003 tundra you are describing. Same as the 04 and 05. I am getting 12 or so pulling a sport nautique. It has been dead on reliable. I have owned it since new and it has over 72k on it now and I have never had it to a dealer for other than the ball joint recall. I have litterally not had a single thing go wrong on that truck ever on me. It is easy for maintenence, quiet on the inside, no squeeks or rattles inside or out, super smooth, comfortable, looks good, sounds great with some pipes. I cant say enough good things about them at all, it is all it is hyped up to be. I went on a lim and researched and bought what I liked. I cant say anything negative about it. I have thought about upgrading but I really dont think the new tundras are worth it and there isnt anything else as good out there right now in my eyes. The previous body style tundras were damn near bullet proof. The new ones have had many issues with them which would make me want to stay away from them

Good luck in the decision :-) My baby can be seen in my profile :-)

(Message edited by trdon on May 15, 2008)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-15-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
I have an Armada which is similar, love it. tows great, rides great. No major issues with it at all.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-15-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
I would strongly recommend against the Titan. Checkout consumer reports, and edmunds. They kill the Titan as far as longevity and maintnence. As a disclaimer, I have to say that I do work for a Toyota dealership. However, I personally own an F-250 and trully try to give an unbiased opinion. I must say that the used Tundras we take in seem to have far fewer rattles, creaks, and are much quieter. The Titan is prob a winner in the power category though. I dont have any hard numbers to back this up but driving both, the Titan seems to be faster. The Titans can probably be purchased for less so it does win there aswell for the short term. Maintnence will prob be higher so the savings will be caught up with and should you choose to sell it, the Tundra will have a higher resale value. The Tundras are known for there solid build and extremly low maintnance costs. Interior layout and size is very nice and comfy. Were it my money and those were the 2 choices, I would go with the Tundra.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-15-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
I will agree with T-Bag that my Armada does seem to squeak and creak more than it did when brand new in 10/05.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-15-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
We have an 05 tundra. I actually test drove both trucks before we decided on the tundra. I liked the looks of the titan a lot better and I liked that it had more power. We lived in Huntington beach, ca when we bought the truck, so parking was a huge deal for us. So when I drove the tundra it was much easier to maneuver, had a decent amount of power and the inside felt more like a car. It has enough power to pull our boat fine and gets about 16 mpg driving in daily stop and go traffic. It has been an all around good truck.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
good info thus far, thank you all. keep it coming if anyone has anything else to add..
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-15-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
Great thread. I drive both trucks. I drive an 05 Titan for personal use and a 2000 Tundra for work. The Tundra has been bullet proof! I have used and slightly abused this truck and it still runs like the day I got it. 245,000 miles later and it still fires up every morning.

I LOVE my Titan! It is one hell of a truck! I think Nissan did a great job with this truck. However, there were a few issues Nissan got fixed. The drive train is second to none! Nissan has had NO issues with the drivetrain. The Endurance V8 is an excellent engine, Nissan has held back the potential this engine has. I will say that the interior does creek a bit and there are a few rattles, however, these have been fixed in subsequent years. Overall, the Tundra has less problems and is a quieter truck. The new Titan I believe does compare, Nissan just needed to get the bugs out of their first full size pickup.

The older Tundra is tried and true. Nissan has worked out the bugs in the Titan, as minor as they are. My opinion, I would go with a newer Titan, 2006-07 over the Tundra in the 05-06 years. The Titan will put a bigger smile on your face everyday over the Tundra. As for the newer Tundra.....I'd probably go with the new Tundra. It's all personal preference for looks. Both are great trucks and are way way way better than the Big 3. I will add that if it's going to be your daily driver the older Tundra is much better on mileage.

(Message edited by kraig on May 15, 2008)
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-15-2008, 10:52 PM Reply   
Anyone have any clue why Nissan is having Dodge start building the Titan replacement? I think it's the '10 model year. I was a little surprised. It will be Nissan designed, but built by Dodge.

Don't have any experience with the previous model Tundra, but do recommend the Titan. Very nice truck. My dad has had zero issues with his '06. That's more than I can say about my Ford.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-16-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
I have an '04 Titan with 23k miles on it. '04 - '06 then go with Titan. If you want to go newer, then the '07/'08 Tundra. I'd get the Tundra now if I was choosing between the '08 Titan and '08 Tundra.

The older ('04-'06) Tundra leaves lots to be desired. It's physically smaller, engine also smaller. One good thing about the '04-'06 Tundra is the engine is extremely smooth and silky.

You'll enjoy the Titan much more if you go camping, fishing, etc. and still have the power to tow when you get the boat.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-16-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
I'm guessing Nissan is farming out the diesel production to Dodge since Nissan is looking at adding a diesel in the Titan.

That's where all the 1/2 ton truck manufacturers are going.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-16-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
I had the 05 Tundra and I loved it mechanically/reliable but I couldnt stand the tin feeling and the lack of room.. It does not compare to the titan at all as far as room goes. I ended up trading it in a year later for a dodge ram 1500 quad cab..
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       05-16-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
I have a 2002 Tundra, same model type as 04-06. I have 70k on it, bought it new, and have had zero issues with it. I love it. I was getting a consistent 18 mpg (V8 4x4) until I upped my hp with a FIPK. Now I get 15-17. Towing I get around 12-15. I towed my old Crownline which pushed 6500 lbs when full and it had no issues. Now pulling my new Supra, it is like pulling a heavy load of groceries. I would not own any other truck. I don't like the fact that the new trucks are so much larger than my model year, but I will keep with the Tundra when its time to upgrade.
Upload
Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-16-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff don't go too fast with that Bimini up.

In all my brilliance I figured if I could go 45 on the water surely it could handle 60 on the trailer....nope had to patch it up. Oops.

Apologies for the hijack.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       05-16-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
Keith,
I always appreciate advice when it comes to avoiding costly repairs. The dealer said no problem to 60 mph, but I do put roll it up when I travel. No sense in leaving it exposed when it only takes a minute to put it away.
My last boat had the full canvas on and at 35mph pulled the windshield molding off. That was the day I was bringing it home from the broker. I had just asked if it was ok to run with the top on. He quickly came and had it fixed within a few days.
Old     (troublesnomore)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-17-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 Titan with no problems. We also have a 2005 QX56 with no problems. Both trucks work great for towing. Last trip from LA to Lake Mead with the QX56 I got 11.5 towing a Howard 25ft boat. The best MPG on the highway is 16-17 driving at 65mph
I sold my 2004 Tundra for the QX56 because I need a higher tow rating on a truck. It was a great truck with no problems.
On a side note, I had two Ford F150,s before the Toyota Tundra, the Fords were returned to Ford under the lemon law.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-17-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
I have an 08 Titan LE. I LOVE this truck. It tow's my Supra with ease. The interior is great and very spacious. When I was testing trucks I drove both the Titan and the Tundra. The overall fit and finish of the Titan sold me. Gas is what it is with both of them. 85 bucks to fill it up and you get 14-17mpg.

I think with either one you will be happy. Good luck with it and post some pictures when you get one.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-17-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
i've got an '04 titan se. 4x4 extra cab, big tow pkg. great truck. couldn't be happier. i pull my 22' sanger with no problems. it rides smoother than my dad's f250 with the same load. it pulls the hills with no problems. i average around 14-15 mpg with it, but i'm also turning 33x12.50s. i bought it with 1400 miles on it, it now has 47000. i don't have any issues with creaks/popping as i've heard some guys have.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-17-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
I've had an 07' since October and have loved it. Traded in my Chevy for it and haven't looked back. I already have 17k miles on it and no worries at all so far. If you get anything older than an 06' be weary of the rear end and brakes. They had issues that they warrantied and appeared to have fixed them in the 06' models. Plenty of power and everyone is spot on with mileage, not sure what the Tundra is going to get you since you can option up for even more power. Good luck in you search.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-17-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Kraig, I believe you are incorrect about the Titan drive train problems. They have had significant problems with the rear diff and brakes, as you can see by either reading titan/armada forums or looking at consumer reports. Also CR, which I believe is somewhat accurate, nails them for squeaks/rattles, body hardware, audio equipment, paint/trim. Giving them a much worse than average reliability ranking. Since I am purchasing a used vehicle with limited warranty, I'm steering clear of the titan/armada and going with Tundra/4runner.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-17-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
Todd- I was actually referring to the engine and transmission which they have had little to NO problems with. It's a solid system. Yes, the Titans had brake issues in the first year and into the second year. They solved the problem with larger brakes with a three year 36,000 mile warranty. Nissan stepped up to solve the problem. As for the rear end, this was not a Nissan part, it's a Dana axle. For the amount of problems the big 3 have I would say this is pretty good for a first full size vehicle for Nissan.

I would say my Nissan is very reliable. I haven't had any problems at all. My dealer upgraded my brakes before I had an issue and my rear end is performing perfectly.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-17-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
wait no towing and you want a gas guzzler??? im puzzled have u not watched the news lately. gas is going no where but up
Old     (wags)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-18-2008, 12:42 AM Reply   
You'll have lemons and great runners with any brand/model. I have an 05 Titan and it has issues, but pulls better than my 97 GMC. not towing it drives and handles like my 05 maxima with exception obviously. A 5 speed tranny in a truck can be cumbersome, but drives fast.Use the tow mode and gear down and you'll bee fine. I have an employee with a Tundra and he has nothing but good things to say about it. I've ridden in it and it is nice and fast. Fuel prices should be the least of your concerns if your buying a truck. They all suck on fuel compared to the cars that are available. If its worth it to you, you'll spend the money. Both on the truck and fuel. If you are concerned about gas prices, dont get a boat and dont get a truck/suv to pull it. Having a truck is better than not having one for the activities that you are wanting to do.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-18-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
I was assuming that the rear end was part of the drive train, makes sense to me. Still buying used, I'll stick with Toyota cause I don't have the comfort of much warranty. I used to work for Dana, but not in the axle div.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-18-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
I have a 06 with no problems and no rattles. It has no problem pulling my X1 and when not towing the boat the truck is a beast.Upload
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-18-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the replies everyone, it's all appreciated. I'm going to continue to do some research, I'll end of test driving both. I have to buy used because a new Titan or Tundra is not in my budget. Believe me if I could I would buy the new Tundra in a heartbeat.

Rick, thank you for the newsflash that gas is going up in price. I hadn't noticed that. If you read my post you'd see that a car ('02 maxima) just doesn't have what I need. A truck will allow me to go camping, hiking, etc. and also just give me something to load crap in which I cannot do in my car. I typically have to borrow my grandfather's f150.

Woody, glad to see your Titan is still treating you well.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-18-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Im gonna have to take a pic of my rav4 with camping gear and towing the boat LOL. I was surprised at how comfortably I can fit all my stuff in there and tow the boat. very happy with that suv and also pretty darn happy with my tacoma 4 cyl too. I understand you need a truck to tote your stuff around just make a wise decision on what you really need. Looks like you are lucky that you live 8 miles from work. Wish I could
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-18-2008, 11:48 PM Reply   
im on the Tundra band wagon. I bought a used 04 v8 extended cab 2wd about a year ago. my father bought a brand new 03 and i loved it, so i got one too. the thing is just so reliable, drives and stops so much better than the bigger domestic offerings, not to mention toyota reliability. we tow muscle cars, jet skis, and i've towed my buddies malibu a few times. the thing does the business no matter what you ask and as stated it is slightly smaller than all the new full size offerings. i towed my kawasaki jet ski with a load in the bed, so to speak, from charlotte to texas and got about 18-19 mpg doing 65. its been great. i highly recommend this truck and i doubt ill get rid of it any time soon. also trying not to be biased, we had chevy trucks and suburbans prior. now we're all tundra. good luck with your new whip!
Old     (ruste)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-18-2008, 11:51 PM Reply   
forgot to mention towing the same jet ski and similar conditions my dads is 4wd and he gets about a mpg less or so, so still very good for a v8 truck, considering this horrible state of gas prices.
Old     (sec)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-19-2008, 5:33 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 Titan crew cab, and it has been flawless. I have about 23K miles and nothing other than regular maintenance so far. The interior features are well thought out and work very well. Steering wheel cruise/volume controls, DVD and navigation system are on par with more expensive cars and blow away my wife's GL450. Good tow vehicle too. Another thing to think about: I test drove both Titan and Tundra. If you are tall, the Tundra doesn't have as much space for the driver. I found it less appealing.
Old     (more_betterness)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-19-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I miss my tundra. I had 02, when I traded it in last year it had 100,000 miles. The only problem I had was no 4wd and the tow rating. When I can afford a new one you bet I am going to buy a new tundra crew max.