Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-09-2013, 11:05 PM Reply   
We are in Maui right now and my kids love Boogey Boarding. I assume if you can surf behind a boat you can Boogey Board too. Anyone successfully done this behind a wake boat?
Old     (ashjbrown)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-10-2013, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holidayking View Post
We are in Maui right now and my kids love Boogey Boarding. I assume if you can surf behind a boat you can Boogey Board too. Anyone successfully done this behind a wake boat?
You sure can. It is so much fun. You need to try it. Doing barrel rolls is so much fun.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-10-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
Not a great idea unless you like huffing fumes and inhaling CO2.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-10-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatpt View Post
Not a great idea unless you like huffing fumes and inhaling CO2.
True unless you have FAE. That helps a lot.
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-10-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
What is FAE?
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       04-10-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
"Fresh Air Exhaust". Some boats have emission systems that cut down on the CO2 output
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-10-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
Fresh air exhaust is an extension of your exhaust tip. It is a down pipe which directs the exhaust below the water so when you're underway, the exhaust bubbles up way behind you thereby allowing you to breath fresh air rather than a bunch of exhaust. It makes stereos seem a lot louder too since the exhaust comes out under water.
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-10-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
Wow. I will inquire
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
FAE is the best money I've ever spent on my boat! Totally worth it! And my stereo sounds way better too!
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-10-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
Can FAE be added to any boat? My dealer is saying that the new catalytic converters do the same as FAE. Any thoughts on that?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2013, 4:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holidayking View Post
Can FAE be added to any boat? My dealer is saying that the new catalytic converters do the same as FAE. Any thoughts on that?
Unless your catalytic converter is extending down beyond the transom it is not doing the same thing. Your Cat may reduce the amount of CO2 but you will still be able to smell the exhaust which isnt pleasant anyways. keep in mind that CO2 is oderless and I am convinced that it would be difficult to actually inhale enough CO2 to hurt yourself anyways.

Here is a link to the company site
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
click on "installation pictures"
Been looking into getting one for a while.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 04-10-2013 at 4:10 PM.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-11-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
There is a group buy running over on the Moomba forum now for the FAE.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showt...aust-Group-Buy
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-14-2013, 9:09 AM Reply   
Can you use fae on a 6 liter indmar with catalytic exhaust? Along with a Malibu power wedge?
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-14-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
They make them for all kinds of boats, and from people I know that have used them, they will work with you on a custom setup if its necessary for your boat. I've heard nothign but good things and plan to look into one for my Axis this summer.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-16-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
Unless your catalytic converter is extending down beyond the transom it is not doing the same thing. Your Cat may reduce the amount of CO2 but you will still be able to smell the exhaust which isnt pleasant anyways. keep in mind that CO2 is oderless and I am convinced that it would be difficult to actually inhale enough CO2 to hurt yourself anyways.

Here is a link to the company site
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
click on "installation pictures"
Been looking into getting one for a while.
I think you're both confusing your emissions. A catalytic might reduce some CO but actually converts other criteria pollutants and air toxics into CO2. CO is what you're worried as the "silent killer."
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-17-2013, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
I think you're both confusing your emissions. A catalytic might reduce some CO but actually converts other criteria pollutants and air toxics into CO2. CO is what you're worried as the "silent killer."
Good catch, I got very excited and jittery at the keys....You are correct, what i was referring to was Carbon MONoxide (CO), not carbon DIoxide (CO2)..... thank you my friend!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-17-2013, 11:30 PM Reply   
Jay, your dealer needs to be spanked for that incomplete bad info. From an exhaust inhalation standpoint, boogie boarding is very similar to teak surfing because your face is right behind the boat breathing in fumes whether you smell them or not. If you don't have FAE you are just asking for it if you boogie board behind a boat without it.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2013, 7:24 AM Reply   
my 12 yr old boogey boards on his knees and has a blast. we use our wakesurf setup for a big wave and off he goes. We've also done a double with friends. BTW our boat (Tige 07 22Ve) has FAE and we r BIG BIG fans.

http://youtu.be/eqVevqVYRQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ-mc...ature=youtu.be
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
Did you notice how quiet that boat was in the video? People could talk to the rider without yelling.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-18-2013, 10:34 AM Reply   
Good comment Markj. We also use Wetsound Ws-420 for PA via tower speakers which is easily heard w minimal engine noise because of the FAE.
Old     (Jpirotte)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-18-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
I had ankle surgery last year and grew up in Hawaii so I gave it a whirl. So much I bought a new body board and a fin for one foot for this season. Have fun!!
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-25-2013, 8:37 PM Reply   
Looks like one more way to have fun. FAE is crucial
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-28-2013, 12:22 AM Reply   
After boogie boarding on my wake surf board for years, I decided to try it on a real boogie board. Didn't go that well... The boogie board that i use in ocean waves was a tad small for a wakeboat's wave. Not enough surface area on the boogie board. I might look and see if there are bigger boogie boards out there. On the other hand, why? My Phase 5 board (oogle) works great.
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-28-2013, 8:10 PM Reply   
Good to know. If you have any video please post it. I would like to see this in action. Sounds Fun.