Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-13-2016, 7:00 PM Reply   
I'm looking into the Liquid Force "Adjustable Wrap T-Handle" (http://www.liquidforce.com/ropes-t-handle.html).

It looks like a good idea, since there seem to be very limited handles available with a wrapped grip.

But this installation photo shows that you need to put a knot in the existing handle line for the T-Handle to grab onto:

I've read that a knot will greatly reduce the strength of rope, including Spectra. Does anyone think it should be a concern? If my mainline had a knot, I would be looking into replacing it before someone got hurt...

Last edited by johndk; 06-13-2016 at 7:02 PM.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-13-2016, 7:05 PM Reply   
think about how many knots there are in your line as it is
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-13-2016, 9:08 PM Reply   
I use that exact T-bar. Haven't ad any problems with the knot.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2016, 10:20 PM Reply   
If you seriously would get rid of a rope because it has a knot in it, then hit me up and I'll buy it from you or trade you something worthwhile.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-14-2016, 5:12 AM Reply   
I haven't yet had an unremovable knot in one of my ropes. Do they really not weaken it too much?
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-14-2016, 5:22 AM Reply   
I actually have a frayed rope that I had thought about "fixing" with a knot, but didn't do that after reading how much a knot will really weaken it. Such as:

http://davidschmidtwriting.com/busted.htm
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2016, 6:26 AM Reply   
In 13 years of wakeboarding I've seen one rope snap, and it was the loop where it connects to the tower. It was all the way out, so it did not break at a knot.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-14-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
With the exception of some of the solid core ropes, the 'knots' are all eye-splices that put the bulk of the load down the rope when tied correctly. A knot, however, puts a lot of force into squeezing your rope, and can definitely create a weak point if ridden on. That being said, for general wake-boarding, the chances of you busting a rope even with a knot in it are pretty slim, as you're not typically putting a huge load on the rope.

The only place I see ropes break somewhat frequently is in the show skiing world, but it's almost exclusively at the dock start (and often-times can be due to a knot), when you could have a 600+ hp triple-rig pulling 25+ people off a dock. I've broken my spectra barefoot rope as well, but it was doing a barefoot flying dock start when I didn't see a knot catch. As soon as I hit the water it snapped right at the knot. A couple new eye splices though, and only lost a foot off that rope, and it's still in use.

For that t-handle I wouldn't worry about that knot weakening it too much, as it's got a pretty decent size radius to the turns. Also, if you want to fix your frayed rope, cut out the bad section and tie in a couple loops. This is a good video on how to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3da6pgU2R4
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-14-2016, 10:40 AM Reply   
You havent lived until you are raging in at the wake to huck one into the flats and the rope snaps!
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-14-2016, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
In 13 years of wakeboarding I've seen one rope snap, and it was the loop where it connects to the tower. It was all the way out, so it did not break at a knot.
I broke half a loop years ago and ran the handle that way for years after, it was like riding with a shoestring holding your line together. Worked perfect.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2016, 1:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
You havent lived until you are raging in at the wake to huck one into the flats and the rope snaps!
Strange. You would think it would snap while getting up.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-15-2016, 9:12 AM Reply   
I watched Ben Greenwood ride a clinic once when someone asked him about the knot in his line. He said he puts one in every line with the intention of creating a weak spot to break in the event of putting his arm through the handle or something similar.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-15-2016, 9:53 AM Reply   
A comptech release would be a way better solution (although an expensive one) to that scenario.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-21-2016, 3:13 PM Reply   
I decided to go with the Proline "Standard" handle instead, which has a rubber coating around the line that the T-Handle seems to securely fasten to - no knot needed.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2016, 11:20 PM Reply   
I have a good story about ropes snapping. This year we spent a day riding with Danny Harf and Bob Sichel. It was an awesome day. Well for riding we used Danny's rope. the same rope he had used for the last couple years for contests and filming. The same one he would be using the following day at the nautique Wake Open. Well my son rides first and all is good but my buddy goes second and on the first get up out of the water, he snapped Danny's rope. Upon further investigation is seemed that at the wrap handle, there were some small metal eyelets the rope went through that had kind of kinked and started to fray the rope. It looked like the rope could have given out anytime. We all had a good laugh about it.

I don't know how this relates to knots, but in the rope but that was the first time I'd seen a rope snap.