Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
Greetings all - I'm a first timer and looking to buy my first board/binding combo, I would appreciate any insight, advice in making this purchase. I've did as much research as possible and I have learned a lot, but still looking for the best option for myself and situation.

ME: I have never touched a wake board, never road one, never tried one on. Total noob.
I am an avid snowboarder - I snowboard out west on the black diamonds and double blacks, ski on the unmanned areas, KAT riding - used to get big air in all of the parks (when i was younge) ive been snowboarding for almost 20 years

Mysetup: My boat is nothing special, and is far from a wake board boat, so I know that is not ideal, but I'm not looking to go pro, just have a fun time. I have a normal open bow boat, standard propeller (no wake tower).

I've narrowed down some choices below, I am a firm believer in buying great bindings. I'm torn between a continuous board and a 3stage board. Continous should be easier to learn on, but I think i'll pick it up fast, so perhaps a 3 stage would be best for me, as my boat will not have the typical wakeboard boat WAKE, so I might need that extra pop...?

Evo.com seemed to have the best deals for me - and I am not one who needs the latest and greatest, paying extra money for a 2017 or even 2016 board.

I have my choices narrowed down to these
http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/li...ings-2016.aspx
http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/li...-bindings.aspx
http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/hy...ings-2016.aspx
http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/li...gs-2016-2.aspx

*However, below is the entire list - if there is a "best fit" that isn't too much higher in price, I could go for that. I did not include the "cheapest" bundle in my narrowed down list

The entire list
http://www.evo.com/shop/wake/package...price-asc.aspx

Thank you to any and all who respond - I've very excited and anticipate your feedback and help
-Ryan
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-31-2017, 9:05 AM Reply   
pm sent
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       01-31-2017, 11:23 AM Reply   
Whatever preconceptions you have about "I'll pick it up fast", put aside. Sure your experience in board sports will most likely mean you will get up and learn to move around relatively fast, but after that the similarity stops. I've done board sports my whole life and outside of basic moving, wakeboarding is NOTHING like the rest. None of the other sports rely on a rope. Wakeboarding success depends alot on your use of the rope and small technique differences in body and board positions. All I'm trying to say is, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OUT GROWING A BOARD.

It's also not as simple as continuous being for beginner and 3 stage for pro. Many pro's ride one or the other.

I have a ronix district board and its been great. When I was doing research in buying my own, I saw many schools raved about the board. I have had really good riders try it out and they liked it as well. But there are ALOT of great boards out there. As far as bindings go, everyone I've talked to recommends close toe bindings. I got close toe bindings and I'm really happy with them. Especially that I ride through the winter, so it keeps my feet alot warmer. However the disadvantage with them is they are less versatile if you ever want guests to ride your board. I've had women with tiny feet and men up to size 12 on my community board with large open toe bindings. This might not be something you care about, and most 'serious' wakeboarders don't. But I know if your just doing the sport for fun and plan on having friends with you for fun days on the lake, it might be important and something to keep in mind.

Last edited by timelinex; 01-31-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-31-2017, 11:28 AM Reply   
The Liquid Force Classic you listed would be a great choice. It is pretty user friendly and can really do it all. That board is good for first timers all the way up to pros. The shape has been around forever and there is a reason why.
The Liquid Force Witness is another board to look at. Endless potential with that one too.
Slingshot might be a brand to look at as well. The boards are thin and have no/minimal bottom features which causes you to rely more on proper edging technique, which kind of crosses over with snowboarding a little more.
Also if you're a firm believer in buying great bindings, then I would look at some other than what you have listed. Anything closed toe nowadays is a pretty safe bet, and then just narrow it down by your preferred stiffness.
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
Whatever preconceptions you have about "I'll pick it up fast", put aside. Sure your experience in board sports will most likely mean you will get up and learn to move around relatively fast, but after that the similarity stops. I've done board sports my whole life and outside of basic moving, wakeboarding is NOTHING like the rest. None of the other sports rely on a rope. Wakeboarding success depends alot on your use of the rope and small technique differences in body and board positions. All I'm trying to say is, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OUT GROWING A BOARD.

It's also not as simple as continuous being for beginner and 3 stage for pro. Many pro's ride one or the other.

I have a ronix district board and its been great. When I was doing research in buying my own, I saw many schools raved about the board. I have had really good riders try it out and they liked it as well. But there are ALOT of great boards out there. As far as bindings go, everyone I've talked to recommends close toe bindings. I got close toe bindings and I'm really happy with them. Especially that I ride through the winter, so it keeps my feet alot warmer. However the disadvantage with them is they are less versatile if you ever want guests to ride your board. I've had women with tiny feet and men up to size 12 on my community board with large open toe bindings. This might not be something you care about, and most 'serious' wakeboarders don't. But I know if your just doing the sport for fun and plan on having friends with you for fun days on the lake, it might be important and something to keep in mind.

Thank you for the advise - I'm sure my wife and friends would like to try it, so I guess i'll stick to the open toe for now.

Good point on the rope technique - the only thing I have to compare is snowboarding behind a snowmobile while being pulled with a rope, did a lot of carving and flying into jumps with it, quite the difference, but fun stuff

I appreciate the help and input
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 11:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeska89 View Post
The Liquid Force Classic you listed would be a great choice. It is pretty user friendly and can really do it all. That board is good for first timers all the way up to pros. The shape has been around forever and there is a reason why.
The Liquid Force Witness is another board to look at. Endless potential with that one too.
Slingshot might be a brand to look at as well. The boards are thin and have no/minimal bottom features which causes you to rely more on proper edging technique, which kind of crosses over with snowboarding a little more.
Also if you're a firm believer in buying great bindings, then I would look at some other than what you have listed. Anything closed toe nowadays is a pretty safe bet, and then just narrow it down by your preferred stiffness.
Thank you for the input, very helpful. I was leaning towards the classic, but was a little turned off by the label of "most explosive rocker" liquid force offers. I looked at sling shot, but looks like the cheapest I could go would be 500$, which is higher than I would like.

I think I'm going to have to go with an open toe, that way friends and family can ride it.
The hyperlite remix has amazing reviews on the site, but seem pretty cheap (no stiffness rating either) While the other option LF index, doesn't have any reviews, but stiffness of 2 (1 being highest). not really sure where my stiffness should be for a beginner
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have to ask, why not the LF Trip? they seem very similar. Just curious why the classic or witness is a better board
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post

Shoot, I'm not able to edit my original reply, sorry.
Do you have an opinion on what might be best for me, in regard to myself and my boat situation in regards to a continuous or 3stage setup?
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 11:59 AM Reply   
I feel due to my price range <300, I'm going to get stuck with the hyperlite remix(15 or 16) or the LF index (15 or 16 year)
the combos are too good of cost savings to buy separate to switch out bindings
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-31-2017, 12:48 PM Reply   
Honestly don't get too hung up on the board and rocker type right now. Especially between the Classic, Witness, and Trip. As a beginner or even intermediate it's hard to tell a difference between those 3. Don't let "most explosive rocker" intimidate you, the classic a pretty user friendly board.

Any of the boards you mentioned will take you far. Since you have a budget, I say get whichever one you can get the best price on, and then splurge a little more on some bindings. That's where you'll feel the biggest difference on the water.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       01-31-2017, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Honestly don't get too hung up on the board and rocker type right now. Especially between the Classic, Witness, and Trip. As a beginner or even intermediate it's hard to tell a difference between those 3. Don't let "most explosive rocker" intimidate you, the classic a pretty user friendly board.

Any of the boards you mentioned will take you far. Since you have a budget, I say get whichever one you can get the best price on, and then splurge a little more on some bindings. That's where you'll feel the biggest difference on the water.
I agree.

I had a good rider on my boat a few months ago that has only ridden sporadically in the last 5 years. So the board he was using was one he bought from 8+ years ago and its a brand I've never even heard of. The boots were ronix but were literally their first closed toe design I think. The board had a cool graphics design but it's shape definitely looked aged and it was alot heavier than everyone elses board........ But when he went on the water, he was getting more air than anyone I have seen behind my boat. He then tried my board and loved it, but he didn't get any more or less air.

The lesson of the story.... Don't get too hung up on the board.
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 2:39 PM Reply   
thanks everyone, that helps put some concern to rest
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       01-31-2017, 3:12 PM Reply   
I suppose this closed toe combo is very well priced
http://www.the-house.com/wake-package-534.html

but, what benefit from the closed toe? (besides keeping your toes warmer I guess)
Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       02-01-2017, 5:23 AM Reply   
Ryan, I prefer the closed toe due to I've seen peoples feet completely slide out of the front of an open toe. It could have been a freak accident or due to not wearing the right size though. Once I tried the closed toe, I've never looked back. I feel more comfortable in them.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       02-01-2017, 6:18 AM Reply   
If you are going to share your board with family and friends the open toe will allow more people to ride comfortably. The closed toe are not required to have a good comfortable binding. The closed toes are much more responsive and locked in feeling. Pretty much all of the high end bindings are going to be closed toe. You can feel the difference as soon as you put them on. You do not need them to get started and progress your riding. It can also be difficult to get just the right size and fit without trying several different pairs.
A liquid force classic with index bindings will be a great board combo to start with. You won't be disappointed. I have the same combo I bought somewhere around 8-9 years ago and although it's not what I ride as my primary board it still gets pulled out and used and is still a great board.
You are going to end up hooked. Watch out. Many additional boards and binding combos will be in the future. Next thing you know you will be selling the I/O and getting a v-drive.
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       02-01-2017, 9:24 AM Reply   
how well do bindings fit true to shoe size?
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       02-01-2017, 9:40 AM Reply   
wow, what a scary thought of someone's foot sliding all the way through an open toe that is too large for them (thinking about my small wife here)
I see some of these close toe boots range in sizes as well, such as 10-12. I don't think I'd want that if my foot was size 10, slamming my toes into the end of a possible size 12
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-01-2017, 12:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rderenzy View Post
wow, what a scary thought of someone's foot sliding all the way through an open toe that is too large for them (thinking about my small wife here)
I see some of these close toe boots range in sizes as well, such as 10-12. I don't think I'd want that if my foot was size 10, slamming my toes into the end of a possible size 12
I'm sure the poster is telling the truth and it's happened, but so have alot of freak accidents that you can't account for.... I have never heard of anything like this happening and I can't even see how it could happen, barring a freak accident. I would confidently guess that 99% of all wakeboarding has been done on open toe boots (considering all the years before closed toe were made, and even now most of them are not closed toe). Maybe someone else will chime in about this risk, as I have NOT been around that long.

Keep in mind that the people that will be borrowing your board will most likely be people that can't even jump wakes and are just out there to try it out......
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       02-08-2017, 4:28 PM Reply   
ok, its down to two

or

http://www.the-house.com/wake-package-534.html
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-10-2017, 7:22 AM Reply   
Ultimately it's up to you at this point since they're essentially the same board. Personally, I'm a big proponent of closed toe bindings. The classic has been a great board for newbies that we've pulled behind our boat. Very forgiving and responsive board. I think the functionality difference between closed toe and open toe is very subjective. (like whether or not you get any greater toeside pressure with closed toe or not) But, I've never had a toe jam in the closed toes and my foot has never slid in the boot on hard landings like they did in my old open toe bindings. My vote's with the green setup. Not sure how big of a guy you are, but I would suggest erring on the side of caution towards a bigger board than you think you need, unless you're sub 170. I would chose the 138 or up. A bigger board, from a beginner's perspective, usually means it is more forgiving on landings and there is more margin for error with landing awkward as there's more increased surface area.
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       02-10-2017, 9:04 AM Reply   
i'll get the 142, I'm 190lb
thanks for the input.

my dilemma now is to buy, or wait - I can't see these getting more expensive and I'm currently living in snow, so no hurry on my end
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-10-2017, 1:09 PM Reply   
I'd just keep your eyes on how many they have in stock. Now's the time to buy. You get closeout options. But come summer time, they'll be scooped up and you'll be stuck with a newer year and full retail prices. Ultimately it's up to you, but I'd keep that in mind.
Old     (rderenzy)      Join Date: Jan 2017       02-18-2017, 6:24 AM Reply   
thanks everyone - finally got a discount code

232$ out the door
very happy, so cheap