Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2016, 9:01 AM Reply   
I know that this has been discussed before.... I am just curious if anyone knows what type of ACL repairs the top pros have had... Like Dowdy doesn't look like he has missed a beat. I tore my ACL on Aug 28 and I am having the surgery on Sept 15. I am going with my Dr's recommendation of the hamstring graft. My situation is that I am 45 yrs old and I hope that I can recover and convince my wife to let me ride like I want to again. I tore it trying to learn TS front roll and cased the wake. I can land my tantrums consistently and Scarecrows most of the time... I used to have the HS bankroll but lost it when I finally figured out the trip flip edge for the tantrum.... Just curious to see what the Pro's opted for surgery wise. I will rehab hard and feel confident that I will be fine to ride again, but I tore my quad tendon on the other (left) leg the 1st day on the water in '14 and then re-tore it 8 weeks post op.... So this will be the 3rd knee surgery in 3 summers.... I am really bummed at the thought of having to surf... No adrenaline in that....
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-08-2016, 9:23 AM Reply   
I had a hamstring ACL repair when I was 20 (15 yrs ago) and was riding full force in 6 months. I was very lucky to have zero complications and no meniscus damage. One thing to remember is that most pros are in there early 20s. You can bounce back from anything at that age. The trick is to find a doctor that you trust and get the surgery he recommends because that is probably the one he is best at. In 2014 my knee exploded, but my ACL was actually fine. I have spent 2 years recovering. I am back to riding at an elite level again, but I'm done with double-ups... On, a positive note, I landed my first whirl-5 last weekend. I hadn't thrown one of those is several years. Don't let the injuries get you down. If your heart is in it--you will get back on it. #tooyoungtowakesurf.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-08-2016, 10:15 AM Reply   
Wakeskate breh! More trucks same speed no boots and super challenging. F surfing leave that to Gertrude
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-08-2016, 10:28 AM Reply   
I've done it and done Hamstring (same practice that did Keith Lyman), my neighbor at the lake did patella, a well known pro that I ride with has had both knees done and 1 revision. He had a patella single bundle, revised to cadaver, and hamstring double bundle.

I was longest off water because my surgeon was extremely conservative. 9 months before I was cleared, but my knee seems to give the least number of issues of anyone I have ridden with, now at 2.5 years post up.

Go in strong and come out strong. I came off the bat a bit weak because of timing, I had to miss 2 seasons, but I am back now and feel better than ever.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2016, 11:18 AM Reply   
That sucks to hear that man. I was trying to learn a Tantrum this summer and cased the wake. Heard a pop and knew I was in trouble. I got incredibly lucky though and it turned out to be a bruised MCL and bone bruise.

I'm 37. I love to go big and into the flats. The way I look at it I can keep trying new tricks with the high probability of injury or I can enjoy what I know how to do and have a much lower probability of injury.

We're often so focused on learning new tricks that we forget how fun it is just to get big air or do our tricks we have on lock.

Also, in case you didn't know, Murrary blew out his ACL while wakeskating, so I don't think it's in any way safer than boarding.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2016, 12:56 PM Reply   
That's REALLY quick to be having surgery so soon after the injury. Is your knee still swollen at all?
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2016, 6:19 PM Reply   
My knee is swollen just a little... I tore it on a Sunday and saw the Dr Monday. He drew almost 2 oz of fluid off of it and then I had an MRI on Wednesday and saw the Dr later the same day and he tested my range of motion and they offered to do the surgery that Thursday morning. My wife and I weren't prepared for a surgery that quickly. She had a business trip out of town scheduled and I would have had no way to get my daughter to school. The Dr that did Shaun Murray's knee used to work at the practice that I am at. The Dr that did my quad tendon had trained under Dr Andrews and I really liked him, but he left the practice and moved to Minnesota about 4 weeks ago... But, I texted him and he recommended the current Dr and had him call me Sunday evening (the night injured it) and he worked me into his schedule on Monday. I feel very comfortable with him. I am just ready to get on with the recovery.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2016, 6:30 PM Reply   
I remember when I tore mine (two different times) my doc said that he didn't want to touch it until the swelling was completely gone. I did hamstring tendon. If I did it again, I'd go cadaver for sure.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2016, 8:01 PM Reply   
Well, surgery went well, I also got micro fracture surgery for missing cartilage.... I am 4 days post-op and so far so good... Not much pain at all... I took 2 of the prescription pain pills and then switched to Naproxin.. I don't like those pain pills. I have been weight bearing with the brace locked.... So I will rehab hard and hopefully everything ready to ride by May
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-19-2016, 9:11 PM Reply   
Good luck with your recovery.
Old     (bandit628)      Join Date: Feb 2016       10-14-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
So who has a meniscus tear? Who has had it scoped? How is your riding afterwards? Etc.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-15-2016, 6:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboozer View Post
I know that this has been discussed before.... I am just curious if anyone knows what type of ACL repairs the top pros have had... Like Dowdy doesn't look like he has missed a beat. I tore my ACL on Aug 28 and I am having the surgery on Sept 15. I am going with my Dr's recommendation of the hamstring graft. My situation is that I am 45 yrs old and I hope that I can recover and convince my wife to let me ride like I want to again. I tore it trying to learn TS front roll and cased the wake. I can land my tantrums consistently and Scarecrows most of the time... I used to have the HS bankroll but lost it when I finally figured out the trip flip edge for the tantrum.... Just curious to see what the Pro's opted for surgery wise. I will rehab hard and feel confident that I will be fine to ride again, but I tore my quad tendon on the other (left) leg the 1st day on the water in '14 and then re-tore it 8 weeks post op.... So this will be the 3rd knee surgery in 3 summers.... I am really bummed at the thought of having to surf... No adrenaline in that....
I ride with a friend who pushed his return from ACL just like you did for tendon. Weaknesses from
Old injuries lead to new ones, though as you described in your mind that you cased the only reason you blewACL. My friend while riding blew the cadaver ACL during its regeneration period when it comes back to life(8 weeks- how frickin stupid-(which is the definition of stupid 8 weeks post op return to activities much less the arrogance and hubris). Now let me apologize about name calling now but true is true His redo became infected, knee more stable now but infection almost claimed his life and it is still chronic though he had made recent strides to heal that.
By the way I am a 1985 recipient of the old train track style 9-11 inch on each side of knee for a terrible triad reco including the facia cutting and reused as new ligament on outside of knee, nasty surgery. I lost rugby football and I had just made select side status.
If you don't want to lose wakeboarding you need to adjust your approach to returning in normal time intervals. I butterfly fractured/shattered my femur on a Flowrider 7/1/2015 and resulting nail surgery. I got to surf and skate 4/1/16 and fully healed 9/2/2016 and back to wakeboard now and I was never as good as you but I'm starting back with short approach one wake airs to let myself back in before going wake to wake.

Choose your surgery wisely and then do the responsible thing for yourself and delay your return and you will benefit from The rehab and strengthening and return to the skate and surf and ease back in!!! At intervals age appropriate and longer even than your doctors recommendation
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-18-2016, 12:56 PM Reply   
Don't rush it. My buddy did in his late 30's and it cost him 3 more surgeries. Your 45 so your by no means young. What's the point of getting back so soon. It's not like it's your job and your get paid to ride. Take a year off and surf. A year goes by quick then you can go back to doing what you love. Wakeboarding can be one of the worst and best sports at the same time.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-18-2016, 3:46 PM Reply   
I have had ACL reconstruction when I was 18 with a patellar graft. Most wakeboarders get the pattelar tendon graft, I am not sure why but my surgeon swore by it.
It generally takes 6 months for a full recovery. I started riding earlier than 6 months but I was very impatient. I suggest waiting the full 6 months as I have had friends try and start back up at 3 or 4 months and had to have a second reconstruction.

if you get on that bike and rehab every day and work on your stabilization muscles every day, you will likely feel 100%.

I stopped wearing kneebrace after one year and have felt 100% ever since. (i am 25 now)

2 years ago I had a meniscus scope on my opposite knee. i couldnt even walk before the surgery, went in they knocked me out and i woke up walking out. I was released to ride as soon as the stitches came out so maybe 7-8 day revovery for me. (was 23 at the time)

I recommend not drinking alcohol as some of my friends went into party mode while injured and never came back.

my dad had a meniscus scope at age 62 and it took him maybe 20-25 days to recover.

I think staying dedicated to your rehab goes a long way and anyone can get back to 100%

REHAB
REHAB
REHAB!!!

you will be back before you know it!!!
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-19-2016, 7:28 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies.... I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow and rehabbing as much as I can. I have been back at work and on my feet 4 days after the surgery and try to take it as easy as I can. I will be probably 8 months post op by the time we usually get back out on the water. I spoke with Brett (a CTi rep that is on here from time to time) today about getting a custom brace from my Dr. I hope that my recovery continues to go well and I can at least go back to do the few inverts that I know that I can do and have fun... For the record when I re-tore the quad tendon 8 weeks post op I was working with my post op brace on. It was released and not locked out and I stepped down off of my work Truck and it buckled... I wasn't trying to ride again 8 weeks out......
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       12-04-2016, 1:26 PM Reply   
I tore mine at the end of this season. I'm 10 weeks post op now. I had the patellar tendon graft and rehab seems to be going pretty well.

I just landed hard in the flats. I'm 30 but have only been wakeboarding for 3 seasons now. I wish I started when I was a kid. I was a skier.

I can't decide what to do next season. I don't think I'm good enough to be landing in the flats. I was at 21mph on a 70' line. I was thinking about letting the line out to 75 or 80' and just trying everything wake to wake.

Is that a good idea?
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-04-2016, 6:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin17 View Post
I tore mine at the end of this season. I'm 10 weeks post op now. I had the patellar tendon graft and rehab seems to be going pretty well.

I just landed hard in the flats. I'm 30 but have only been wakeboarding for 3 seasons now. I wish I started when I was a kid. I was a skier.

I can't decide what to do next season. I don't think I'm good enough to be landing in the flats. I was at 21mph on a 70' line. I was thinking about letting the line out to 75 or 80' and just trying everything wake to wake.

Is that a good idea?
I'm recovering too (4 wks post hamstring graft). I don't know if going wake to wake is the solution, I tore mine just going w2w, coming up a little short and casing the 2nd wake.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-05-2016, 6:50 AM Reply   
I'm at 8 weeks post op. They did the hamstring graft for the ACL and a little cleanup scope on the meniscus. I had a snowboarding trip planned but my physical therapist is very adamant on me not strapping in until 5-6months post op haha
I'm rehabbing 5 days a week so hopefully I can squeeze a snow shred in before the season ends.
Stationary bike everyday if you can!

My PT guy also said that 4 months post op is the most dangerous time for re-injury because you're body is feeling good and you leg is starting to get muscle back, but your knee is still not ready.

I'm 32 now and this is my first injury wakeboarding, going to make 20 years on the water this coming summer. It sucks but definitely makes you appreciate long summer days behind the boat.