Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-29-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
I have been riding a ronix code 22 139cm for about the past 4 years. I have decided to try the slingshot oli for next year, but usure if i shoulf go with a 140 or 144? I have heard some people say go bigger with the flex boards(I have never rode a flex board) which is why I am stuck between a 140 or 144. I will mostly use the board behind the boat and I am 160-170lb and 6'1"
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-30-2016, 5:20 AM Reply   
I'm a big fan of larger boards. At your size, I wouldn't hesitate to ride a 144.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-30-2016, 5:52 AM Reply   
I would size up...
The boards now days are so light you don't notice the extra weight. A bigger board equals more pop, softer landings, and won't wear you out as quickly.

I am 6'3" now 230 lbs. when I was in better shape I rode as small as a 140 Shane, cause it was the biggest they had. The step up to the 144 Witness when that came out was a huge improvement. I've been on Slingshots 145s and for 2017 moving up to the Response 147, I cannot wait to get that board and ride it.

Put it in perspective, going from the 139 you've been on to a 144 is about and extra inch of both tip and tail. What I noticed most when I went to a longer board was I didn't seem to go out the front or lean tricks back and butt check or hand drag as much because of the extra board length back there.

Good luck whatever you pick, can't go wrong with a Slingshot.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-30-2016, 5:54 AM Reply   
Oh and for what it's worth, I don't think a longer board is a must for flex boards, it is a benefit overall I think. I haven't heard people say you need a bigger board when riding flex. I do think Slingshot is leading the way with some larger board sizes though so maybe that's where that notion is coming from?
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-30-2016, 9:31 PM Reply   
I think i will lean towards the 144. Did you notice if the bigger boards are much harder to spin than the smaller boards?
Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-01-2016, 8:55 AM Reply   
Definitely size up. Surprised you had any fun on a 139 given your build.
IMO, you can ride any (realistic) board however you want with enough time/practice.
If you are focusing on swing weight while riding, then your head is not in the right place. It all goes back to fundamentals.
The board wont hold you back - I imagine you will have a lot more fun and not hurt as bad with a bigger board.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-02-2016, 7:12 PM Reply   
Went with the 144. Thanks for the reply's. Now just have to wait til spring to test it out!