Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Diggs)      Join Date: Jan 2014       11-13-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Hey guys looks like I may be moving to Oklahoma City
and I am needing help with knowing which lake to frequent and where I can rent a slip for my
Malibu LSV w/ a lift.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I'm looking for a lake close to OKC where I can
get to during the weekdays and weekends.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-13-2014, 8:46 PM Reply   
Freaked me out... Saw this post and thought someone hacked my WakeWorld account... Target, Home Depot and now Wakeworld???????
Ha ha...

Good luck with your move to the other diggs!
Old     (EngineNut)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-15-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Contact Wilson Marine just north of OKC. Great Malibu Dealer. Todd or Laura should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-16-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
I lived there before I owned a boat. The two lakes that come to mind near okc are Lake arcadia and lake thunderbird. I hope your boat isn't white. Most of the lakes are red dirt lakes and will stain a gel coat over time. Lake texhoma, keystone lake, broken bow lake, tenkiller, and lake eufala are some of the more popular lakes for partying.
Old     (scottbaker44)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-17-2014, 8:23 AM Reply   
I live there on and off at the moment and will live there full time in October of next year. Talk to Wilson watersports like someone mentioned. I will be ordering a T23 from them and Todd has been very helpful along the way. Lake Arcadia is very doable on weekdays and is generally pretty good water unless it's super windy, and it definitely can be. For weekend trips, I'll go to Grand Lake and Lake Eufala. Let me know if you ever need some bros to help out on the boat or another boat to tie up next to
Old     (scottbaker44)      Join Date: Mar 2014       11-17-2014, 8:27 AM Reply   
Also, there aren't any slips on Arcadia unfortunately. But there are storage places nearby if you're able to snag an opening. Grand Lake is popular for slips but it's a solid 3 hour drive. Thunderbird is also known as dirty bird so I'm not sure if I'd want to frequent but I've never been personally.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-17-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
diggs, like some have said most lakes close to okc and dirty. here are a list of nice lakes that are withing 1 1/2 hour that have marina's and slip rental. to the south you have lake murray and arbuckle (no marina) to the direct east you have tenkiller (nice) and up towards tulsa you have skiatook lake. broken bow in se oklahoma is simply a rider's paradise however it's more like 3-4 hour drive.
Old     (MylesK)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-17-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
I live here in OKC and what everyone has already said is pretty much true. We typically road the boat over to Arcadia for after work wake sessions during the week. 75% of the time you get some pretty decent water as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard. If we want to say in town on the weekends I'd rather go over to Thunderbird just because it's bigger or go over to Shawnee Twin Lakes because you would be almost guaranteed to get have that place to yourself.

Most weekends though we head over to Tenkiller. Awesome lake but like any other place their aren't too many nice riding spots on the weekend during the day. Wake up early, get a few sets in, eat on the water, and party all day! This weather is depressing...
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-17-2014, 2:36 PM Reply   
My brother lives in OKC and his advice last time I talked t him about it was to never wear white shorts ... because of the red mud.
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-17-2014, 9:39 PM Reply   
Oh and I'm currently in between boats at the moment until I stop deploying every other month. So if you ever need a third (whose willing to help with the gas bill and set up/clean up) hit me up.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-18-2014, 8:12 AM Reply   
Lake Carl Blackwell, west of Stillwater is relatively close. It is my weekend home. It is farther than Arcadia though... The nice thing at LCB is that there is lots of camping, and there are some long-term licensed capsites where you can park an RV and leave it. If you are lucky, sometimes you can get a site with a dock, or the ability to build one and install it based on approved submitted plans. I have had a spot there for the last 15 years. You renew annually...

If you are insistent on a slip, Thunderbird, (Dirty Bird) is probably the closest lake with slips. Lake Stanley Draper did have slips prior to a lake improvement project where they drained the lake. I am not sure if they put any back in. Lake Hefner in OKC has slips, and it is real close, but they don't allow skiing swimming, or other in-water sports there.

It is basically kicking a dead horse, but yes, Oklahoma lakes are usually muddy. It is worse in the spring. We used to joke that with a tiller towed behind the boat you could plant corn during spring rain season... The cleaner lakes are Skiatook, (a long way from OKC) and Tenkiller, (also a long way).

So... All that being said, you have some choices to consider as a boater in OKC

If you want clear clean water, you have to plan on boating at one of two or three clean lakes in the eastern part of the state.

If you want a slip, you can be closer, but probably on the lake historically known to be the reddest, (Thunderbird)

If you want to be boating on water close to your house, plan on trailer boating at Lake Arcadia. Tow to the lake, spend your time, and then end of the day put the boat back on the trailer and drive back home by way of a car wash...

Phil
Kicker

Last edited by philwsailz; 11-18-2014 at 8:15 AM.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-18-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
Same stuff as what I said on the malibu crew, but one other thing is the developer is fighting again to try to get a marina built at Arcadia. So hopefully if enough people push the city council they will approve it this time.
It's sad when the Corp is saying it's a good idea, developers want to do it, but the damn pissy old fart city council keeps blocking it.