Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (just4110)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-22-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
okay heres the deal,
ive found a used 2012 phase five oogle for $300. Is this a good deal and is it a good board? Ive also found 2012 ronix one skimmer for $350. which one is a better board and deal?
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-22-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
That's a loaded question that can't really be answered without more info from you.

How big are you?
What is your riding style/preference?
What do you want to be able to do on the board?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-23-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
If you want to know which is a the best board for you, then Drew's comments apply. As far as being good boards and good deals, that is sort of subjective, as well.
The P5 oogle list is $285, full retail is over $500, people advertise it for $475. It is specified for riders under 200lbs.

The R 1-skimmer is a well a Ronix. I am not a fan, and that is all I will say. $350 is not as big of a discount as the P5. You should be able to find a 2012 1-skimmer for around $300 online.

The P5 is manufactured in Florida, the Ronix is manufactured overseas, if that makes a difference. The P5 is a better overall board from a manufacturing standpoint; higher quality materials, etc.

Nick
Old     (just4110)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-25-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
Okay, sorry about the lack of information. Last time I posted a question I think I was too detailed and specific and I didn't get any replies so I tried to keep it more general here which sounds like it backfired haha.

So Im just a kid really, I weigh about 110 pounds, but I also want my dad to be able to surf this board who is about 170 pounds. As for riding preferences i'm fairly new to the sport but I like to spin , get air and eventually I'd like to shuv it. So basically skim style, but I still want to be able to carve and get a lot of speed. (conflicting I know)

I really do not want to spend a crazy amount of money on a wakesurf which is why I was looking at the ronix one skimmer. But I've have heard a lot about how people do not like the brand when it comes to wakesurfs.*

Similarly I've heard a lot of great things about phase 5 wakesurfs but I know nothing of the oogle except for what p5 has on their website. There also much to expensive for me to get new, I can't find *last years models to try and get a cheaper price.

I've also heard that triple x boards are are similarly priced as ronix's and much better.

To sum up I really don't know what board to get now. I don't want to pay 700 dollars for a wakesurf but I still want one that I can advance on. I like skim style but one that still carries a lot of speed.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-28-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
There is a slightly used Inland surfer board for sale in the classifieds. That should work for you. Make em an offer?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-29-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
call brock at doomswell. 409-692-6363 he'll hook you up. make any shape you want.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-29-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
Listen to John....Call Brock @ Doomswell
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-30-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
Look up Mitch Lemos on here and PM him. He will set you straight on skim-style boards. I would generally advise a P5 or Inland over a ronix or XXX. The XXX have delam issues associated with the bamboo lams. A few people offer custom style skim boards, but they are all pretty much junk. None of them bother to make a good skim board or even understand skim design. They are just thinned out wake surfer or hybrids.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-30-2013, 11:43 AM Reply   
Just had soulcraft build my wife a skim and it is the real deal not a thined out surf style board
Old     (relax2k1)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-30-2013, 12:19 PM Reply   
Hi,

I'm also looking for a intermediate board. I'm 5 7' 155lbs currently riding a phase 5 skim that came with the boat. That wasn't a fun board to learn on lol.. I finally have control of the board but still feels very unstable since I'm pretty new to surfing. I have a 2010 230 so it's a pretty big wake when I load her. What boards you guys think I should look at?

Thanks in advance!
Old     (Squid)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-30-2013, 5:59 PM Reply   
Jeff at soulcraft is pulling off the skimmers now....and I must say they are killer and built to your needs...the only custom Skimmer I know thats out there and He will be driving the builders forward if the choose to get into custom skim...at this point Soulcraft is the place to go....

call me if you have any questions...

303-710-7533..squid
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
I will stick will my original comment. These so called custom skims are junk. If you know how to air, they will crumble in less than a year. Additionally, since they are manufactured the same as a surf-style board they will be off-color and turning yellow in a year. I have been making custom skims for over 20 years, and have been fortunate to work with some of the best ocean and wake skim riders out there, but honestly for the money, you are best to look at a higher end P5 or Inland. I can make you a custom all carbon fiber or carbon/wood veneer skim board, that will rock, but it is going to cost the same if not more than a high end Inland or P5.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-04-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
If you're looking at P5 board, i'll throw my experience in.

Great performance board with a lot of life to it. With the simple pressure of toe side/heel side the board moves with vengeance. The board is very easy to spin and can really get going down the line if/when you decide to pump. I've had the board since late March and been out 6 times and i'm just now starting to understand and react to the characteristics of this board. I have the P5 Danielo Carbon, and the structure of this board is great quality, as well as being really light weight. The board doesn't have much of a rocker, but then again, this is a skim board. I have the 51 inch version, and there has been 3 people have ridden it; 5' 6" 150lbs, 5' 4" 125 lbs, and 5' 10 185lbs. We've all been able to go ropeless, even the last listed weight (board is rated up to a 160lbs rider). If you end up going P5 shop around, there are deals, as well as discounts, to be had. Overall, my experience with P5 has been great and i'll be a returning customer.... I heard a surf style board is in the works for the '14 season .

New board. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

New board. by Bucky Images, on Flickr