Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (flexphoto12)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-11-2015, 7:52 AM Reply   
Hey guys, been a long time since I posted on here. Anyways my girl and I are looking to move from Michigan towards the mountains at the end of the year and we've been trying to do some research as far as finding a good location to hit, something we can trip to and scope out over the summer. We're pretty much moving for our love of exploring, mountains, snowboarding, snowmobiling, rock climbing, mountain biking etc. and we're originally looking in the Colorado area but it doesn't look like there's much in the ways of lakes and a Wakeboarding scene there. So we've been zoning our sights in on northern utah. And since wakeboarding/snowboarding are my two biggest draws, I figured you guys would be a good group to hear advice from.

So, my questions are, how's the wakeboarding scene there? And what lakes are the best to hit? Also, we're looking for a little city life, as far as jobs and just not looking for just a ski town, but we would like to be as close to the resorts as possible (hour or less). Can anyone recommend some cities for us to check out that would fit that criteria? And give us your thoughts and opinions on the people there? We've been browsing around and researching things around Midvale? We're both personal trainers also, so any thoughts on the health and fitness scene would be appreciated, although we're both looking to have our businesses running online by the time we get there.

Anyways, if you guys made it through my ramblings then thanks for any input you have.

Last edited by flexphoto12; 03-11-2015 at 7:58 AM.
Old     (kjswensen)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-11-2015, 4:01 PM Reply   
Anywhere in the Salt Lake valley gives you very quick access to the mountains (Sandy, Draper, Murray,...etc). There are half a dozen amazing ski resort within 45 minutes and several lakes within an hour. It really is an outdoor mecca here. Utah Lake, Deer Creek and Jordanelle are probably the closest lakes with a lot of surfing and wakeboarding going on. Very family oriented and friendly out on the lakes. Good luck on your search.
Old     (flexphoto12)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-12-2015, 12:47 PM Reply   
Perfect! Sounds like what we're looking for, thanks!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-15-2015, 8:21 AM Reply   
The Wakeboarding scene is pretty big in UT. Tons of local comps, plenty of riding peeps, great close lakes, monster wakeup, etc. Hit up find a third Northern Utah thread and get a lot of advise there. There's been rumors of a small cable going in that's close to Salt Lake City and a good ride BLOC Wakepark is opening very soon in Sunny Saint George. Either or outdoor mecca is the correct way to describe it and very easy to get in with a local crew. Wakeworld is where I found all my riding buddies... Another plus is having Lake Powell a few hours away!
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-15-2015, 7:44 PM Reply   
I think you'd love the SLC area. I'm kind of similar in terms of activities etc. For snowboarding, you have 5 world class resorts (Park City, Canyons, Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird) within 35-40 mins of downtown SLC. I'm personally a Brighton guy, but they're all fun. For wakeboarding, there are a number of excellent reservoirs within 1 hour of downtown. A few favorites are Jordanelle, Deer Creek, East Canyon and Willard Bay. As Josh stated, there is an awesome scene out here. Tons of us ride together. The age range is all over the place, as well. We also have one of the best pro shops in the country (Marine Products). Beyond the wakeparks Josh mentioned, there is also a System 2.0 park about 3.5 hours away in Rexburg, ID. You'll also find quick access to other outdoor activities (world class rock climbing, mountain biking etc). Then there is exploring the parks in Sourthern Utah (Moab etc).

As far as some of your other questions, I live in the 9th and 9th neighborhood in downtown SLC. If you're into city living, SLC has one of the safest downtowns in the country. There's also a ton of bike lanes, concerts, and other events. Cost of living is still pretty low here too, compared to many other cities. Really the only thing that sucks is we get a pollution inversion in the winter for anywhere from a couple weeks to 2 months. If it is a warmer winter, like this year, it doesn't last as long.

Personally I've lived in NY, Seattle and Portland. I'd pick SLC over the others any day of the week.