Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-29-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
For new riders what is the easiest boards to ride? Shorter or longer.? For example a 5'11" man at say 190lbs? 5'2" boy at 135lbs? and a 4'8" girl at 100lbs?
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-29-2014, 9:35 PM Reply   
If you want one board for all three riders try an Inland Surfer Black Pearl. It only comes with one fin so purchase two extra fins ( ride as a tri-fin) for more stability for the beginners.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-30-2014, 7:47 AM Reply   
i would day a day1 wake karma. i have a friend that is 200 that rides it and another friend and she is 112 that rides it. twin fin surf style. and it will run around same price or maybe a little less. great board to learn on and it is a great board to progress on. day1wake.com check them out. 206.280.6223 bryce and jonathan. great guys to deal with.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Seems you're going to get a lot of opinions with that question. I'll try to simplify. Longer=more bouyancy=easier to ride. However, more bouyancy=more difficult to get up on.

There are two styles of boards: surf and skim. Surf style are thicker, more bouyant and easier to keep in the pocket. Skim are almost as thin as a wakeboard, more difficult to keep in the pocket but significantly easier to get up on.

If your boat has a tiny wake, I would probably choose a long surf style board (5' or more). If you have a decent wake, get a skim style board (4'8" or longer). Your kids will appreciate the ease of getting up.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2014, 10:03 AM Reply   
Pretty funny. Tuneman hit it on the nose... The groupies are trying to sell you boards they get bro deals from, but not actually answering your question.

In simple terms a larger/longer board will be easy to ride and easier to learn to let go of the rope, but a bit more difficult to pop up on, especially for light weight riders.

Once you learn to let go of the rope and are able to drift back and forth on the wake and control your speed you can look at boards more sized for you and your family.

Look for something used/demo in the 4'8" or longer range for wake surf, or try to find a used shortboard (real surfboard) in the 5'8" to 6"4" range. Most ocean boards are better than 90% of the wake surfboards out there.

Nick
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-30-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
hahahaha good thing i dont get kick backs chaos. i simply told him the board that would fit all of them from a great company to deal with. the have a very durable product and the karma board is great for beginners and you can progress on it. and dude a 5' board for his kids will be way to big. hell i am 400 lbs and ride a 5'3. and plus dude has a g23 will have no problem with wake size. why have him get a board that he will need to replace next season or halfway threw this season. just saying.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-30-2014, 2:40 PM Reply   
Ya, looks like I did not read the post correctly either. The bigger the board the easier it would be to balance on and stand in the pocket, especially if the wave was on the smaller side.

Our family started with one board for everyone (a 5'-3" CWB Ride). The kids and adults, from 100# to 190#'s could all ride it. We all learned to ride on this board but the kids were not heavy enough to maneuver it at all. They would just stand in the pocket.

Our family and friends found wakesurfing was so much fun we got out all of the time and wanted to progress from free riding without the rope for long periods of time to carving and other surface tricks. Our CWB "big blue" as we called it was not going to get the job done. We ended up with a 4' board for the kids and light weight riders (under 125#'s) and a few other boards in the 4'-5" to 4'-8" range for everyone else under 200#'s. We still have big blue for the beginners and riders over 200#'s who come on our boat.

If I was to do it all over again and wanted one board for everyone to start on I would purchase the IS board I recommended above. If you and the kids progress and want to ride at a higher level, then it would be time to get high end boards suited to each rider.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-01-2014, 2:59 PM Reply   
http://flyboywakesurf.com/riding-the-super-short-board/

I'm not trying to derail this thread. I just it was interesting since we are talking length.

FWIW, I've spent some time on a Black Pearl and I think it's a great intermediate board. It's too "tight" for me with even just the single fin. It's a very stable board.