Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-23-2013, 4:22 PM Reply   
Anyone know what ballast config that G23 was running at Nationals today?

What settings were they running on the NSS?

Any general consensus amongst the riders regarding the wave?

Cheers!

Last edited by SurfNerd; 08-23-2013 at 4:25 PM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
Hopefully different than last weeks? Heard from a few folks that it wasn't properly dialed in last weekend at the 10k lakes open.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2013, 5:24 AM Reply   
I haven't heard what the weight setup was. I surfed behind a G23 in Texas and it was Awesome and had tons of push.I was very comfortable Heelside switch. I was in the sweet spot of the wave and it was easy to cruise. The G23 I was behind didn't have the NSS at the time I surfed . It should be even better with the NSS.
Old     (NautiqueMN)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-24-2013, 9:00 AM Reply   
We had 67 individual runs on Friday, and 95% of people came out of the loving the wake. So it is interesting that you say it was not dialed. The video link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa-D...yer_detailpage
Old     (strev)      Join Date: May 2012       08-24-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
^^^ Nice video. Looked pretty good to me!
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-24-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
I was there on Friday. I was told that it was all stock ballast full, two 300's in the back lockers, 900 lbs of passengers all in the back compartment. 900 lbs of ballast in the front. I don't have NSS, so not familiar with the settings but was told it was "0" (all the way out on the NSS), and 3 on the wake plate? To switch sides, they pushed the NSS, and one judge moved to the surf side to create a very slight bias of weight on that side.

It definitely looked like 1) the boat was running flat (not nose up), and pushing lots of water in front of it; and 2) the wake looked great from the stands.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-25-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Casey posted this over on PN.. I'll save him the trouble of reposting here:

Quote:
We used NSS, and allowed people to make adjustments if they wanted.
Ballast:
750's in rear locker
we used factory ballast only from there, and 6 people in the boat. we leaned the boat with the factory ballast, and depending on skim or surf peole were placed in different spots.

port wave - full port, 3/8 STB, 7/8 belly
stb wave - 7/8 belly, 3/4 stb, 1/4 port

always had either 1 or 2 people in bow, driver and at least one on center bench; but like I said, 6 people always in boat. Wave was a hit for 95% of people. During the practice Dom landed a 540 big spin, and Chris Wolter said it was the best wave he has ever surfed.

We were always between 10.9 and 11.3 MPH
Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-25-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the settings. I took a few pulls behind the G23 and G25 and was not impressed with the stock setup. Wave was way too small. Boat was loaded with people so I asked them to move around a bit to see if the wave would respond. Sales dude told me that it wasn't necessary and that ballast bags weren't needed. WRONG! Sacs are ALWAYS needed ... and anyone telling you otherwise is full of schizzle.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-25-2013, 7:44 PM Reply   
^ Lol when will people realize that everyones level of riding is not the same, everyones preference is not the same, and everyones weight is not the same therefore different people will have different experiences. I have been a "salesman" in the boat and have seen people MORE THAN HAPPY with the stock ballast for surfing behind the G23. Actually, we probably see it on a monthly basis. Your talent and experience behind the boat may require more weight than a G23 has to offer, that does not mean it's the same case for the majority of other surfers out there. And we could always say "compared to what", compared to a boat with 1000lbs of stock ballast? There are a lot of great surf boats out there, but saying "Sacs are ALWAYS needed" you are 100% WRONG sir and I don't typically go that far and say that. Like I said, other manufacturers make great surf boats, this isn't about Nautique. This is about the fact that not everyone is the same surfer as you and the G does not ALWAYS need sacs.
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-25-2013, 11:43 PM Reply   
My G23 is incredible stock. We love it. It pushes like crazy and we have a long wave. NCRS 5 and Surf vert 0. Fill all stock ballasts 100%. It will please. Would be insanne with another 1000lbs per side!!1
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-26-2013, 5:13 AM Reply   
Agree Dave.. my friend got NSS installed on his G (it wasn't available when we got them.. he got his retrofitted already, mine will be done this winter). The totally stock NSS wave is plenty good for most people.. it's certainly as good as some boats I've been behind with tons of sacks.

Is it the perfect wave for everyone? Probably not.. but the stock surf wake is better than most sacked out boats.
Old     (NautiqueMN)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-26-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
We here in MN have also sold a good amount of G's by doing stock ballast demos to customers who currently have "surf boats". For me, I like the extra size and going a bit faster, coming from surfing in the ocean it has more of that feel. However, I have people that prefer stock because the wave is more adjustable and easier to handle for beginners.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-26-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
The people I talked to were comparing it to other competitions they have been at and said that it was flatter than they liked but had great push. I think it was just more of a personal preference thing from the sounds of it.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-26-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
I was there and I competed in the event. You are right on with the set up of weight. I think the default was 2 on NSS and 0 on the plate, but I might have those reversed and running at 11.2 mph.

Yes the boat was riding pretty flat. With the amount of weight and riding flat, it plows through the water. There a good push and the length was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdoggy View Post
I was there on Friday. I was told that it was all stock ballast full, two 300's in the back lockers, 900 lbs of passengers all in the back compartment. 900 lbs of ballast in the front. I don't have NSS, so not familiar with the settings but was told it was "0" (all the way out on the NSS), and 3 on the wake plate? To switch sides, they pushed the NSS, and one judge moved to the surf side to create a very slight bias of weight on that side.

It definitely looked like 1) the boat was running flat (not nose up), and pushing lots of water in front of it; and 2) the wake looked great from the stands.
Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-26-2013, 10:55 PM Reply   
Flat is how I would also describe the stock G wake.

And, if you're a boat salesman, Dave: you don't tell a prospective customer (an experienced rider looking for a steeper "launch" wave) that he doesn't need any additional ballast. You ask how much additional ballast he would like to add ... and then - instead of being a pompous ass - you fill up some bags and try your best to tweak the wave. I wasn't happy with the wave and the salesman did nothing to help out. Since the pros added an additional 1500lbs of ballast, he was WRONG ...
Old     (steezin4noreason)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-30-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
http://www.nautique.com/teamblog/201...urf-nationals/

Nautique just sent this out with some pictures from Wakesurf Nationals. Looks like they had the wave dialed.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-30-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
"you don't tell a prospective customer that he doesn't need any additional ballast" well first sir, I definitely don't need anyone other than my employer telling me how to do my job and I have had this job for awhile now becuase of my knowledge, passion for the sport, and the way I treat my customers. Now, with that out of the way, I agree with you. If you were an "exceptional" surfer and I noticed you were struggling I would have tried to upsell you on a pro ballast system plummed into the boat. I am sorry your salesman did not do that. My response was not provoked by that part of your post. It was provoked by your comment that "sacs are ALWAYS needed". That single line is what prompted my response. Your probably a great surfer man and more power to you. A G23 with plummed ballast for surfing is amazing. You probably need that and would love to watch you shred or even shred with you. I don't feel your comment regarding ALWAYS needing extra sacs was valid for anyone other than a very expereineced rider. The majority of G buyers I have met are families and do not need anywhere near what you are saying is ALWAYS needed. That's all man no disrespect intended
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-30-2013, 3:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
"you don't tell a prospective customer that he doesn't need any additional ballast" well first sir, I definitely don't need anyone other than my employer telling me how to do my job and I have had this job for awhile now becuase of my knowledge, passion for the sport, and the way I treat my customers. Now, with that out of the way, I agree with you. If you were an "exceptional" surfer and I noticed you were struggling I would have tried to upsell you on a pro ballast system plummed into the boat. I am sorry your salesman did not do that. My response was not provoked by that part of your post. It was provoked by your comment that "sacs are ALWAYS needed". That single line is what prompted my response. Your probably a great surfer man and more power to you. A G23 with plummed ballast for surfing is amazing. You probably need that and would love to watch you shred or even shred with you. I don't feel your comment regarding ALWAYS needing extra sacs was valid for anyone other than a very expereineced rider. The majority of G buyers I have met are families and do not need anywhere near what you are saying is ALWAYS needed. That's all man no disrespect intended
Hate to say it, but I ride a G all the time with only stock ballast full, and it is one of the better stock waves that I have ever experienced. (with NSS). My buddy has extra ballast, and we do use it sometimes, but, hell, its pretty damn good without them. I have to fill stock ballast + a 750 to be at that level. We both can achieve a bigger and better wake with added ballast, but I gotta do 2350lbs in added ballast, and he just adds a 750 in the locker.

Dave is not really pushin bull**** IMO
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-30-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdoggy View Post
I was there on Friday. I was told that it was all stock ballast full, two 300's in the back lockers, 900 lbs of passengers all in the back compartment. 900 lbs of ballast in the front.
Maybe I am the only one who caught this but surf doggy just wrote that there was 900 lbs of passengers all in the back compartment. I am lol'ing right now. These wake surf comp riders are pretty fussy if people ballast must be used AND be hidden at the same time.

(In case anyone thinks I didn't realize it was a mistake in the typing I assure you I did realize it)
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-30-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
Sorry guys when it says they were in the back compartment it sounds more like they were hidden in an enclosed space as oppose to on the seats haha
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-30-2013, 5:38 PM Reply   
I figured it was some kinda punk'd jack-in-the-box thing where they'd spring out of the locker.
Old     (SurfNerd)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-05-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Appreciate the clarification. Since I started the thread in relation to the Surf Nationals, my inquiry about the weighting of the G23 was coming from an advanced-to-pro level. So, I stand by my assertion that to get a pro-calibre surf wake, you ALWAYS need to add weight to a stock setup. Sorry if this didn't come out right ...

The G23 is a beautiful boat. Just wanted to clarify the setup that the pro's were using.
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-06-2013, 3:06 PM Reply   
No, the judges and all the passengers really were in the back lockers. When the rider would do a trick, the driver would yell "trick", and all 8 heads would pop up out of the locker, watch the trick, score it, then pop back down in. Prairie dogs. That's what they looked like. Prairie dogs.