Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-09-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Hey everybody! I've been on this site for a handful of years and pretty consistently, in one form or another, discussions about the mentality and style of wakeboarding always seems to come up in one form or another. Most recently it's been with this WakeZeach thing. No, I'm not going into some long diatribe about what is style and what isn't. Quite honestly, my bag of tricks isn't deep enough and I don't make enough money where anybody in the industry would give a rip about my opinion on style. Heck, if they'd had a video online here, they're likely way better than me.

About a year ago, my friend had me watch this video made by a group of Free Skiers from Squaw Valley. It basically documents how they took the "Professional, Perfectionist, Finger Pointing" mentality and turned it on it's head. It really reminded me about why I do all of this to begin with. Sure, I love it when I can execute a trick how I want it, who doesn't? But at the end of the day, it's all about having a good time with your crew regardless of an accidental Tindy or Fashion Air (sometimes those happen to me and for the life of me can't figure out why).

Seriously, take a minute and check it out (It's more like an hour... picture it as an investment). You'll be in tears laughing, but I think it really makes a statement. And the game rocks.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-09-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
I made it through about 4 mins and tried to fast forward to the part with the wakeboarders but there isnt one. I dont like skiing at all, let alone on snow.....
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-09-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Perfect for a Sunday morning...hilarious
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-09-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
thanks for posting, that was pretty funny!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-09-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Haha, sorry for that Raf! Bummer you missed out on all the rest!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-10-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
Ben, I'm not even halfway through the movie, but I like the idea. One thing I'll say about the style police in wakeboarding is that they are, almost without exception, internet tough guys. They don't spout their crap in real life because most of them suck at riding and even they realize that they would come off as pompous douchebags and wouldn't be taken seriously. I've never seen anyone hardcore hating on people's riding in person, and I'm really thankful for that because if that were to happen then a lot of people would be really turned off from wakeboarding.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-10-2012, 5:44 PM Reply   
Ha, it's just such a fun video and a great mentality with it. Some of the best at their craft and they don't take themselves too seriously. I love it. And I agree with you. Always comes out on the internet behind profile avatars haha
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-10-2012, 7:01 PM Reply   
Great post!!
Old     (yjwrangler95)      Join Date: Oct 2011       09-10-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
I agree it was worth the time to watch. There's nothing like having fun, I think everyone today is guilty of putting to much pressure on themselves from time to time. Awesome vid.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-10-2012, 8:09 PM Reply   
I wanna see somebody at a PWT stop bust out a Pro Call Out.... my god... that'd be hilarious. Hey Harley, I can't believe you're a pro! I'm way better than you!
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-11-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
i want to see a bare naked at a pwt event, instant classic
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-11-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
I think they touch on this in the movie (I've only seen bits and pieces), but Gnar was "invented" by the late, great Shane McConkey, and first published as an appendix to the book Squallywood by Robb Gaffney 10 years ago. More of a tribute than an innovation in this movie.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-11-2012, 4:38 PM Reply   
Professor, you're correct. It was created by Shane and the Gaffney's. It was definitely a tribute to Shane and his mentality. That said, a contest with an actual payout based on GNAR was definitely innovative haha
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-12-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
That is awesome. I am amazed they had it together enough to make a movie. lol

That is exactly what wakeboarding needs to loosen up the serious factor.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
Awesome! I would love to see someone incorporate something like this into the pro tour. That way it would be on the radar for everyone to see. I would love to see a fashion backroll or something ridiculous. Lose points on every grab except for a nuke, crail, seatbelt, tailfish etc.... :-)
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-12-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
Gnome on top of the towe............ stopping there..... haha
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
whats great is that a few of my family are in the video. I am a south shore guy not one of the Valley beotches........ HHAHAHHAHAHA

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-12-2012 at 7:17 PM.