Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    PapaBProductions            07-27-2010, 10:08 PM Reply   
Ok so when I heard that Big Bear Lake opened a 2.0 cable park I was stoked, I wanted to grab my board and hop in the truck. But then I heard there's no kickers or rails or anything and I paused. Now I see that the park charges $25/hour and I'm like wtf!
Someone please tell me wtf is going on with this park?
Link:
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-27-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
not really too sure about the park, but in that link it says that they should have sliders and stuff within the next few weeks.
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
Interested in this too. Altho not all that pumped about the CGA and needing own equipment since I would have a 3 hr drive to get there and was hoping to take my bike.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-28-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
any cable in cali is good cable, IMO. the more of these things popping up means the sport is growing, and that is a good thing.
I am a bit dissapointed in the lack of marketing on these cables/2.0 systems. would hope the wakeboarding community here in Cali would be more stoked on sharing this info.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
thanks for the info... my inlaws actually wanted us to go with them to big bear in a couple weeks. I will check it out.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-28-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
i will definantly head up there once they have some rails and sliders, ive been wanting to try a cable riding for so long but have never had any close enough to where i live. i'll let you guys know how it is when i go up.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
I am all for my cables in CA but it is not good to have them pop up and then close shortly thereafter. I don't know all the details about the cable but it seems hard to survive in Big Bear. The Big Bear local community isn't big enough to keep it going and Big Bear is not an easy place to get to. It is a short distance from most of SoCal but that mountain drive is hellish so the # of regular riders might be limited. Being at a mountain elevation the weather is only warm for a short period of time during the summer. I hope it all works but it looks tough to sustain on the surface.
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-28-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
I live right at the base of the hill. Ill have to check it out and report back. I wonder if bear mountain and snow summit own it hahahah, then maybe my snowboarding season pass would work for it ha! that would be way to cool!

Big bear is a pretty well known vacation spot year around but i think 25$/hour is to much. especially with 500 feet of cable.

Once you get to the base of the mountain, the drive up takes me 40-45 min minutes or so (whether you go up the 330 or the 18). granted during snow season i go up 2 or 3 times a week and i have memorized every curve

still think its pretty cool though...progress!!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
You'll get more than enough riding in, in that hour.... $25 is pretty standard for 2.0s
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-28-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
you're probably right Nick, but we have to think about the time to get there. Like Cire said, Big Bear is not easy to get to. I have only been there during the winter months as well. I have never really thought of it as a summer desitination, as that water is pretty cold. It sounds like this is mainly for the tourists as a way to generate some business. or at the very least, take advantage of the few wakeboarders who actually live in that area.
either way, once I am healthy, I am going to check it out.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
I hope this happens! When are the sliders going in?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-28-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
http://rimoftheworld.net/5589
a little more info regarding cost is here.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
Looks like a Little bro not a System 2.0 Love to hear more about it and what if any issues they have running it off the generator
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-28-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
I have never used a cable. I would love to check this out, but have questions. Can you help a brother out!

1. How long does it take to get comfortable with this system? My wife and I are athletic, and catch on fairly quick.
2. How do you get air? What kind of air is possble (height/ distance)? I've seen pictures of cable parks, but is this the same? The cable doesn't look too high.
3. What happens when your 500 feet run out? Do you just make a quick 180 and go back, or do you have to release, and then catch another ride back? Or do you just keep taking laps (provided you don't bail, ofcourse)?
4. When you bail, do you just wait for an empty handle to arrive to get you going again?
5. Approximately how fast are you riding at?

Thanks,
Old     (cpizzle2)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
Sweet!!! Can't wait to try it out when they get some rails and kickers on there. Or I could just wakeskate since i suck at that.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
1. How long does it take to get comfortable with this system? My wife and I are athletic, and catch on fairly quick. Very easy to get up and ride on.
2. How do you get air? What kind of air is possble (height/ distance)? I've seen pictures of cable parks, but is this the same? The cable doesn't look too high. You get air by loading the tension against the line then releasing to get the air.
3. What happens when your 500 feet run out? Do you just make a quick 180 and go back, or do you have to release, and then catch another ride back? Or do you just keep taking laps (provided you don't bail, ofcourse)? You make a sweeping turn and come back
4. When you bail, do you just wait for an empty handle to arrive to get you going again? The handle will be directed back to you to pick you up.
5. Approximately how fast are you riding at? 21 mph or so.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-29-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
Thanks Ben. Sounds cool, and will have to try it sometime during the week after they get the rails and kickers.
Old     (Tianah)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-30-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
I have been to TSR and OWC and think that the Cable in Big Bear is even better because of the location in the Lake. Its in a glassy bay that stays glassy all day. A boat takes you out to the dock where they had a dj playing music. If you fall there is a dock that runs alongside the entire cable so I barely did any swimming. There were no features but I hear those are coming soon. Even so, it was an awesome time. Being in SoCal, $25 for an hour of riding is nothing. Don't be so cheap. There aren't any cables in SoCal, so just driving to Big Bear is cheaper than flying to another state. And BTW, the Little Bro is WAYYY better than the System 2.0.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-02-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Did anyone go up over the weekend to check it out? I called the said rails should start going in today.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-03-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
There are actually two cable businesses open in Big Bear, both with two point cables (System 2.0 or Little Bro, not sure which). As far as the price goes, you have to remember that they can only accommodate so many people with each of these cables and it's a pretty limited number, so they need to price it at a level that will turn a profit in a limited summer season. I have a feeling that they could price it much higher than $25 and still sell out most of the time because of the pent up demand in So Cal. Big Bear is a big summer destination and this will make it even bigger. Bottom line is that compared to other parts of the country, cable is going to be pretty expensive in So Cal for a while because the demand is so high (lots of active wealthy people, good weather) and there are so few parks. I think with two parks competing against each other in Big Bear, the prices will be as low possible for them to stay in business.
Old     (rkinsell)      Join Date: May 2005       08-03-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
Could they keep this going in the winter and just groom it?
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-03-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Yea, the lack of updates on the sliders or kickers irritates me. Why not just come out and say when and what your putting in. Its not rocket science. You update on FB all day long, update the kickers and rails!
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-03-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
So let me get this straight there are Two cables in Big Bear? I am assuming that they are both on Big Bear Lake. I am already planning a weekend in Big Bear the 13-15th and will make sure to grab some pics and check out the "scene" up there and report back to WakeWorld
Old     (boardn197)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
I can't believe I just heard about this. This is my home lake mid summer. It took my 71 year old in-law to tell me he read it in the local paper.
As far as keeping it going in the winter that would not happen. Even though the bays freeze over the lake doesn't freeze like those in colder states where people ice fish and all. Would be fun on a snowboard though.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-04-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Dave do you have the website for the second one?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-04-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
Here are the facebook pages for both of them...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Be...0757809?__a=7&
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Be...?v=wall&__a=5&
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-06-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
They are both Rixen little bros! And I think they are both working on structures. You guys are pretty ruff considering they just opened less than a month ago. Pretty impressive they are getting things started in Cali!
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-07-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
So ummm, are they both the same company runnin them or what? Confused for sure!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-09-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
It is two different companies, but they appear to have similar names. From what I can tell on their Facebook pages, one is named "Big Bear Cable Wake Park" and the other is named "Big Bear Lake Cable Wake Park."
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
hmmm
Old     (Desi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-14-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
The Cable Park at Pleasure Point Marina on Big Bear Lake is the one you got to go hit up. It is owned and operated by Designated Wakesports (the wakeboard school and charter wakeboard company on Big Bear Lake.) It is called The Cable Park at Big Bear Lake and you can call them at (909) 556-3345 on go to www'.designatedwakesports.com. The cost is $25 an hour $40 for 2 hours and $60 all day or you can buy a 25 hour pass for $289 witch is just over $10 an hour.
The course is 500' long with a dock servciving the side of it so if you fall it's an easy walk back.
If it was up to us we would have a bunch of sliders on the water right now, but we are on a public lake and we have to receive approval for them from our Municipal Water District. They have given us approval for sliders and kickers next spring and there is a chance sooner. You have to understand that allot of the people on the boards of these comities are older and never seen a cable before, so we are warming them up to the idea and it is working.
I suggest if you haven't ridden the cable yet to give it a shot there are tons of tricks you can do without a single feature. Before you know it we will have a park full of features to hit and So Cal we finally be known for some good Wakeboarding.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-15-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
Doesn't the other place have a flat box that you can hit?
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
This really has to be one of the more confusing things. The names are almost identical and little to no info on them, I would be throwing up pics left and right updating and trying to bring people in.
Old    readyaimfire            08-15-2010, 11:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
The Cable Park at Pleasure Point Marina on Big Bear Lake is the one you got to go hit up. It is owned and operated by Designated Wakesports (the wakeboard school and charter wakeboard company on Big Bear Lake.) It is called The Cable Park at Big Bear Lake and you can call them at (909) 556-3345 on go to www'.designatedwakesports.com. The cost is $25 an hour $40 for 2 hours and $60 all day or you can buy a 25 hour pass for $289 witch is just over $10 an hour.
The course is 500' long with a dock servciving the side of it so if you fall it's an easy walk back.
If it was up to us we would have a bunch of sliders on the water right now, but we are on a public lake and we have to receive approval for them from our Municipal Water District. They have given us approval for sliders and kickers next spring and there is a chance sooner. You have to understand that allot of the people on the boards of these comities are older and never seen a cable before, so we are warming them up to the idea and it is working.
I suggest if you haven't ridden the cable yet to give it a shot there are tons of tricks you can do without a single feature. Before you know it we will have a park full of features to hit and So Cal we finally be known for some good Wakeboarding.
So cal already has been known for some good wakeboarding broseph, get off your high horse
Old     (twise)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-18-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
I was in Big Bear last weekend and we went to try out our first cable park. I was very underwhelmed. I know that these parks can do great things for our sport, but not when they are like this one. I was surprised at how short the run was. Your up hit the box your down. My expectations were much higher... I will let these pictures do the talking for me.

Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-19-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
I will be in Big Bear this weekend and will try to ride with one of these two operations to see what this is all about.
Old    PapaBProductions            08-23-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
I talked to the manager of the larger cable in person. He said he cant put up sliders till he gets it approved by the county. Because this is the first Cable in So Cal there are no safety regulations in place for this sort of thing. He said Sliders should be popping up by next spring
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
I'm glad to see a cable in So Cal, but Bear is not the easiest drive, plus $25 an hour and no sliders...I think I will wait for Santee to open. I wish these guys luck tho.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-23-2010, 10:52 PM Reply   
I have seen both of the Big Bear cable operations and I would personally ride with the one that does not have sliders. Although this operation does not currently have any sliders or ramps, the cable itself is much longer, maybe double the length as compared to the one pictured with the box. This is the only picture I shot of the operation without the slider but hopefully you can see how long the cable is from one end to the other.
Attached Images

Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-25-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
I was up there a few weeks ago and rode both Parks and got the info straight from the operators....look for an in depth article and photos here on Wakeworld very soon
Old     (Desi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-26-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
bring your own gear and it's only $20 for the first hour!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-30-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
My wife and I rode the one at Pleasure Point Friday of last week. We've never done a cable park before, so when we looked over and saw it, we knew we had to try it out. It was a blast, and, even on a weekday, they had no trouble getting bookings. The water temp was fine as well, in case anyone is worried about that.

My first run was hilarious. I didn't really grasp the concept of the cable changing directions so fast, and I was loaded up pretty good when it switched. The thing whipped me into the air like a bungie cord, and I was afraid to let go, so I just spun around out of control until I came back down, and somehow managed to land it just as the guy hit the shutoff switch... I felt like I had to explain to the people watching that it was a total accident and that I was just afraid to let go once I was airborne. Later, I worked on swinging around on the turn on purpose. It was pretty easy since the cable is up above you.

I'll see if I can dig up pictures. It probably felt more dramatic than it looked, but it was still a fun thing to try.
Old     (Desi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-10-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
The Pleasure Point Cable is only $15 for the rest of the season! Now is the time to get up tere and give it a try.