Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old    alanp            02-25-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
im leaving arizona for virginia in a week. my registration is valid for three years in arizona (cost me 110 bucks). in VA i need to pay personal property tax on boat the boat trailer as well as a yearly registration fees for both. im going to keep my az drivers license too that doesnt expire for another 15 years!!. do you guys see in issues in me just keeping to boat registered here? (not the moral issues) i have several friends that live in california but have az registrations.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-25-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
Alan,

I moved from Texas and I kept my Texas plates and registration on the boat and trailer. VA is a biatch when it comes to taxes. I live in Fairfax county and depending on your vehicle and boat, it will be out of control. They wanted $1100 a YEAR for my truck and about one hundred more a year on the boat. Keep your stuff in AZ and you won't have any problems. I even have VA insurance.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-25-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
In Fairfax County there shouldn't be any tax on boats that you need to worry about.

Their web site (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/cartax_boats.htm) actually says you do need to pay a trivial amount of yearly boat tax ("$0.01 for each $100 of assessed value"). But since I had heard that Fairfax County really only taxes the trailer, I called them (703-222-8234) and was told by 2 people (one even "researched" it over a couple of days and called me back) that you definitely only need to pay property tax on the trailer, and NOT the boat.
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-25-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
From VA! Where abouts in VA are you gonna be living? Near smith mountain lake by chance?
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-25-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
jeff do u live on smith mountain
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-25-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
got a "weekend hangout" up there at Palmer's marina. Not one of the million dollar baby's but hey, Its a place to eat, sleep, dock the boat, listen to tunes, and drink a beer!
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-25-2009, 7:25 PM Reply   
or two, or three, or twelve.
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-25-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
back on the subject, reason I ask about smith mountain lake is because you will need to look into the boater's safety course that is being implemented. Go to the virginia department of game and inland fisheries website for more info.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-25-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Someone works for "the man" haha. Yuma -> Va

If you are coming into az I know its a pretty hefty ticket for not changing registration and license 30 past the change of address. I can't even imagine how bad it would be in Va. That place you can't fart w/o a permit. Good luck if you like booze, on the other hand they practically give away tobacco products there.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-25-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Here are some links for boating courses in VA :

http://www.boatus.com/courseline/courseline.asp

http://a054.uscgaux.info/News%20and%20Information/Public%20Education/virginia.htm
(You need one of the "State" or "ABS" classes.)

The boating safety courses are about 8 hours. In some cases you can get it all in one day, or broken up over about weeks.

See http://www.boatus.com/courseline/states.asp for the rules; in Virginia you don't actually need it until at least 2013.
Old    alanp            02-25-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
im moving to nova. i havent found a house yet. im thinking about living in fredericksburg due to the proximity of lake anna. but i may buy a small house at lake anna and a condo near dc. i just cant decide. if i buy a house at lake anna my commute is about 60 miles one way with traffic. so thats what keeping me from buying there.
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-26-2009, 5:08 AM Reply   
According to the DMV you have 30 days to register your vehicles in VA. However this does not apply if you are military or I think a full time student they totally different rules. Check the VA DMV website
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/moving/newva.asp
As for the registration renew it every year or every two years and it is based on the gross weight of the vehicle.
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/fees.asp
The personal property tax does suck and is based on the value of the vehicle, but if you itemize your taxes at the end of the year you can write it off.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-26-2009, 5:46 AM Reply   
Alan, have you ever lived in NoVa? If not, good luck. I hated it so much here I took a one year tour to Iraq to get out of this place. Crowded beyond all belief. People are rude (i'm from Texas so not used to holding a door and not having someone say thank you...its as if I was the doorman at that particular 7/11). Traffic is horrible. My wife worked in Arlington and we lived in Herndon, sometimes it took her 3 hrs to get home. Its about 30 miles. Housing, food, etc are all expensive.

Now southern VA and Western VA are awesome. Lake Anna is a super nice lake, it is really warm though. In the summer, its not really refreshing. But the scenery is great and if you put in near Hunters Landing the lake has some great riding spots.

If you lived in Fredricksburg and worked in NoVa (Herndon, Reston, etc) it would take you three hours during your morning and afternoon commutes, unless you could work some funky schedule to miss the peak times. Then I would say an hour.
Old    alanp            02-26-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
mike im working off of exit 148 and have a pretty flexible schedule for when i need to be at work and when i can leave.

im drawn to lake anna because my brother already has a lake house there. i also know a couple of riders there (im orginially from richmond, va). sounds like you were on the private side of lake anna that is heated by the nuclear plant. which is also where i'll be riding. im also coming from yuma, az where where the water temps are in the low to mid 90's in the summer so ive given up the refreshing water thing along time ago hahah.
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-26-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
It's not as bad as Mike says it is he lives in a very busy and an increasingly growing town with no room for every one. So I take it you will be working at Quantico. If you have a flexible schedule you should have no problem with traffic, 95 is very predictable on when the rush hours are. The weekends are another story, but if you know the back roads your golden, it is just all the Jersey people heading south. I live north of Quantico, Woodbridge area and it’s not that bad.
Old    AWS            02-26-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Alan-You got to check out Smith Mountain Lake, i grew up there, still my favorite body of water. My family has a plaza there, my Dad leases hanging boat slips under a full size miniature golf coarse. If you want to keep your boat at Smith Mountain Lake i could get you in touch with him.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-26-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have known lots of people that live in one spot and have cars, boats and driver's license from another state.

All is well, until you get caught.

I am not sure how property tax works in Virgina. In California, it would not make any difference where the boat was registered you would pay tax based on the location the boat was store at (tax rates vary county to county). Again, you can usually get away with hiding the boat, for a while, but if you get caught the penalties can be quite high.

All can be well until the day you get a citation in the boat. Then the eye Mordor falls upon you and you will have some explaining to do.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
Ethics aside, I think you would have to weigh the risk of getting caught and your own risk aversion vs. the known taxes. If you ride on less patrolled lakes and are not one to gain the admiration from the local law on the lakes, then chancing it seems reasonable, particularly if the taxes are high.
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-26-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
greg, I hung out with a relative of yours last summer....Danny. He was hanging out with some folks next door to our place at Palmer's marina. Pretty cool guy....
Old    alanp            02-26-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
greg i appreciate the offer thats just to long of a hike to go there regularly. maybe ill make it to brostock this year tho.

greg et al nova riders. if any of you guys wanna ride the private side of lake anna starting mid marchish lemme know. i have access thru my brother and i'll be looking for regular riders.
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-26-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
from what I heard brostock aint happening this year at sml...Liquid Force is gonna shack up in italy this year.

go here...see fo yo self!
http://www.wakenskate.com/events/wake-n-skate-events-2009.html
Old    AWS            02-27-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Jeff -Danny is my brother
Alan -i actually live in Oregon now, but Alan at Southern Ski Boats/ MB Sports dealer knows a lot of nova riders.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-27-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
"n VA i need to pay personal property tax on boat the boat trailer as well as a yearly registration fees for both"

Yes, unless you live in Prince William. I would live North of where you work. Much easier to drive against traffic. My buddy has a boat on the potomac and is glad he's not in Fairfax. I'm not sure about Fredricksburg other than it's an hour to DC on the metro.

Keep it registered in AZ until it runs out! Save your 5% a year!