Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pcolajosh)      Join Date: May 2007       08-12-2010, 10:21 PM Reply   
So I'm actually considering what I had thought to be unthinkable a few months ago...

Background:
Started riding in '97. In '99 rode an INT event behind an X-Star that blew me away with the size of the wake. Swore I'd learn to ride well enough to handle a wake that big someday.

Fast forward 10 years, after an assignment to Alaska (not exactly good for riding), then an assignment to FL in '07, I finally get that '99 X-Star. It was my dream boat for so long. Ride for 3 summers. Have a great time. Teach my wife to ride behind it. Have a kid. Take kid out in it and have great memories. Befriend a fellow hard-core rider that is actually all about pitching in with gas $ and help with the dream boat. All in all, love having the boat.

Blew my knee out recently and am considering selling. My thinking is that I'm moving in the spring and don't want to hassle with moving it. Also, I'd like to upgrade to a pickle fork X-2. I'm having surgery in a couple weeks and that has me bummed because I won't get to ride. Wife is preggers with #2 (Yeah!) and she isn't much on winter rides anyhow.

Guess I'm just looking for some WW'ers input on what to do.

I'm thinking I could get about $22k? 1999 X-Star, 4 Bag Fly High Pro-X Ballast System, Zeroflex Tower, Transom remote, nothing fancy on the stereo, just the stock 6 + sub, about 550 hours, LTR 330 horse, new tandem axle aluminum trailer.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-12-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
Sell boat. Start surfing.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-12-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
i dont think this thread is saying your going to quit wake boarding is it? imo if your able to get what you think is right out of selling it and it makes your life easy for a few then do it. get relocated have that second baby (congrats) settle in and reevaluate. in the mean time put that new dream x2 in the back of your mind stack some cash and before you know it you will be teaching kid 2 how to ride your knee will be rehabed and your off to building memories and good times for years to come.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
Make sure you have a decent test ride behind an X2 before you buy it, it is a great family boat but doesn't have wake performance anything like the 205V hull. If you like the current boat I would hold on to it, if you definitely want to upgrade then let it go know before the end of the season and re-buy towards the end of winter.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-13-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
SELL SELL SELL... I don't think you'll like the X2 if you love the Xstar wake but thats just me.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-13-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
I flip boats like a mad man. Definitely sell it, move, have #2, then go shopping for boat #2 in time for next summer.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-13-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
The boat is 11yrs old only worth about $22k. If it is in good shape and is paid off, run that baby into the ground. If you move to the Pickle fork X-2 you will not increase the wake performance or room in the boat. If you are hung-up on Mastercraft (they are a great boat), you should consider the hop to the X-star as said above, but be ready for the $60k plus used or $80k plus new price tag.

My 2cents = Put a coat of wax on the old x-star and party like its 1999. Congrats like the new kiddo.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-13-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Flip it man, make life easier for awhile.

I sold boat #1 and had boat #2 in less then 48 hrs. Buying and selling is the easy part. Not to mention I had my new boat delivered 2 days before I went in for my second knee surgery. I got to garage boat in it for four months while I rehabed and waited for the ice to melt.

Cash is easy to move just make sure the wifey understands the cash made on the boat is for a new boat not new granite counter tops, carpet, washer/dryer, ect in the new digs. Keep it in a seperate account and watch it grow as your knee heals, your boat is just depreciating as you rehab.

Like the other guys said an X2 wake isnt even close to the stars 205V or the new hull make sure you ride one before buying.

I'm like you 10+ years riding and 30+ years boating, life without a boat freaks me out but it's only temporary.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
If you don't need the cash and your boat is in solid condition, I say keep it. You're in FLA, how can you not own a boat? (I'm in Jersey and have owned a boat every year for 28+ years)

If your knees need a break, get a Skyski! It's just as addicting as wakeboarding!
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-13-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Sorry but I don't think many will pay 22k plus tax for a 99 xstar without wrap around seating. Plus selling at the end of the season you won't get top dollar just something to think about. I think the question I would ask myself is would I willing to part with the boat I wanted for so long for around 18k because that is what people will be offering for it.
Old     (pcolajosh)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
LOL. Evan, I was wondering how many posts it would take until someone pooped on my pity party with a comment about the possible asking price. Evan, I understand that it's getting late in the season and that the lack of wrap around seating is a big downer to some. Yes, it is an older boat, but I'm actually thinking that I'll offer the boat for 22 and if I don't get what I consider to be legitimate offers, then keep it. Honestly, I love my boat, but think I'd like to pass it on to another stoked rider/young family. Everyone hears about someone somewhere that got a killer deal on a V drive, but after following the market for many years, I don't think I'm out of line. The condition of the boat is a big part of any sale. For example, I saw this same boat sell out of NJ I think for $12k. That boat was beat down something fierce though. On the other hand, I've seen similar boats advertised at dealerships for $26k. The fact that I've got a new this year trailer helps as well. I know that when I was looking, I considered a good trailer a major selling point. Admittedly, it's not rolling on 22's or anything like that, but I like it a lot. Overall, I guess it's just time to see what happens in the marketplace.

Thanks for the encouragement to surf. It's a watersport I've considered and will probably pursue. I love all watersports, but wakeboarding has always been my passion. I've also been encouraged to foil. Guess it's a natural progression for older wakeboarders. I've flown a couple of times, but just couldn't get over the cost of a skyski and the logistics involved with the thing. It would be a lot easier if I lived on the water. (Common complaint, right?)

Well, guess I'll be putting the boat up in the usual places after some pics this weekend. Wish me luck and if anyone out there is interested in this legendary hull, feel free to drop me a line.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-13-2010, 11:52 PM Reply   
http://memphis.craigslist.org/boa/1863584692.html This one right here is ultra clean with 250 hours on the motor. I'm gonna offer the guy 16,500 and see if he will take it haha.
Old     (pcolajosh)      Join Date: May 2007       08-14-2010, 12:54 AM Reply   
You win Evan. Thanks for pointing out that awesome deal. I hope you can get it, but how about you offer him $10,500 instead. I'm sure he's desperate to sell, right? Probably needs the money for ACL surgery or some other weak reason.

Seriously, I just got pissed with the haha at the end of your post. You may be a great dude, but that really just set me off and made you seem like a real vulture. Based on another post of yours, it looks like you're on a campaign to realign the used boat market with your own ideas. It's a free market. As you said above, "Sorry but I don't think many will pay 22k plus tax for a 99 xstar without wrap around seating." you're absolutely right. I don't need many to be willing to pay 22k, just one.

Bottom line, that appears to be a fantastic deal. For my sake, I hope he sold his boat within hours of listing it and received numerous legitimate offers after the sale....of more than 16.5....
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-14-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
Hey sorry wasn't trying to be a dick, I just was trying to let you see another side of the deal that if you couldn't get 22k for your boat would it still be worth selling to you b/c that is just what these boats are bringing in my neck of the woods. My real good friend just sold his 99 with 329 hours on it covered in wetsounds pro 60's and with the wetsounds cb thing and only got like 18.5k. But you are right I have had good luck buying and selling boats for a profit there is a sucker is born everyday. Good luck with the sell if that is what you decide to do. I will be looking for a good deal on a 2000 model of this exact boat when I decide to purchase another one. The wake is my personal fav!