Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    sub_zero            05-05-2003, 4:15 PM Reply   
Anyone have any idea on how much weight my Maristar 225VRS might like to throw a nice weight? I was thinking of 2 500's in the rear but not sure what the locker will take or if that will be enough? I want to order bags in the next few days.

Thanx,

Terry
Old    jpoppa            05-05-2003, 5:11 PM Reply   
I have a X-30 and here's what I've found to be a good setup for the boat, it should be similar for yours.
-standard kgb 250lbs plus a 350lb sac in each rear locker
-standard kgb 350 in the ski locker plus a 350 lb sac in the front walkthrough, pushed all the way to the front of the open bow

the wake is absolutely enormous, wide, and rampy
we ride at around 24-24.5 mph at 70-75 feet
Old    sub_zero            05-05-2003, 5:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply,
Please excuse my ignorance, what is the standard kgb?

You have 600 #'s in each rear so that's 1200 #'s by the engine.

Any idea if your ski locker is the same size as mine?
Old    jpoppa            05-05-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
1200 lbs by the engine and 700 up front, but if you had more sacs I'd put a 550 up front instead of the 350 like I do.
the KGB is the stock three tank ballast system that comes in the mastercraft x-series boats.
there are 2 -250lb tanks on either side of the engine and a 350 lb sac in the ski locker.
Old    sub_zero            05-05-2003, 7:32 PM Reply   
Is 350 all you can get in the locker? I assume with the 1200 in the rear 350 in the front is not enough. Is that correct? If I put 550 up front do you think I would have to put it on the deck? Not sure my dear wife would stand for a bag on the deck. She has threatened mutiny if I take up real estate with water bags:-)
Old    jdr            05-06-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
Terry, In your case, you should be able to put bigger bags than 350 #'s in the rear lockers. The X-30 comes with hard tanks in the lockers so there is only enough room for the 350#bags.

We have an X-30 with a similar set up as Jordan. The only difference is in the front, I am using 250 # of lead shot. It comes in 25 # bags, I covered each bag with a thick trash bag, then wrapped it with duck tape. I placed all of the bags in the bow of the boat under the front seat cushion. They all fit, no problem. By the looks of it, I have 100 #'s less than Jordan, with nothing sitting out on the floor.

Jordan, did you plumb your rear sacks into the factory system? If so, shoot me an email as to how. Thanks.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
Terry,
I have a Maristar 210VRS and have e-mails from a number of WW folks that also have Maristars. Here is what I was told…

Start with a full sack 550-600 on either side of the engine. And a locker sack (350) pushed all the way to the front. You can get a bit more than 350 in the ski locker but will have to custom order a sack that is long enough to run the whole length of the ski locker. See http://www.letsgoride.com/ a lot of good feedback on their stuff.

You can run a 550 on the floor in the walk through or give up storage and run sacks under the seats. You can fit almost 500 of water weight under the bow seats but it is more of a hassle to fuss with filling 3 separate bags than it is to fill one sack on the floor.
Use the hassle factor and ‘play-pen’ style bow argument if you get grief from the boss about having bags on the floor.

You may not need to fill the rear bags all the way full. Depending on how many people you have in the boat.

Last year I ran 350’s on either side of the engine. 350 in the locker. 550 in the walk through.
This year I am running 550’s on either side of the engine. 350 in the locker. 400+ of lead under the bow seats. Nothing on the floor. More weight in the back makes for a steeper wake.

Good luck. Shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.
Old    sub_zero            05-06-2003, 5:20 PM Reply   
Thanks to all,

I'm going to measure for the size of the rear bags and also measure the ski locker up front. I hope to get 5-600 #"s on each side in the rear and then as big as I can get in the locker. I met Pete from letsgoride last summer at the lake. He is a great guy. Last year I had a 91 Sport Nautique. We put 2 - 500 # bags alongside the engine just to try it. What a great wake! I can't wait to weight this 225 down and ride up the wake.

Jeff, where did you put your pumps and what kind of system do you fill with?

Terry
Old    jpoppa            05-06-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
Terry, 350 is not all I can get in the lockers, I can actually get two 350's in there, but I wouldn't be able to get on plane. I'm gonna have to get a different pitched prop if I add more weight, and this is with the 330hp LTR, plus around 5 people in the boat. If you don't want a bag on the floor in front, just put as much as you can in the locker and then lead or small sacs under the front seats. It's definitely important to have weight in the front though, or it's hard to keep the bow down and get on plane.

Jay- no I don't have the sacs plumbed in, just use the good old ballast pump. It would be super easy to take the hard tanks out though and hook up a 600lb bag with dual fills (one for filling one for drain and overflow) to the factory pumps in each compartment.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
Terry, check your e-mail.... too long to post my rambling.