Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-17-2016, 2:41 PM Reply   
I am in escrow on a home and my 07 malibu vlx will fit in my garage if I remove the power wedge. Have any of you done this, and does it effect the wake shape much?

Currently my set up:
Fly high 1100# triange bag in the bow, (without hard tank)
Fly High 450# piggyback
Fly High 450# on the floor.
Wedge around half way.

Could I remove the wedge and throw 2 1100# bags piggybacked in the trunks? Keep the nose bag without sacrificing the wake?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2016, 11:04 AM Reply   
Well this is sad, Does anyone ride without a wedge deployed?
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2016, 11:14 AM Reply   
How much clearance do you need? Could you cut out the drywall to gain a few inches? Tony Carroll has an 06 vlx and rides no wedge but he has over 4000lbs in it. I've never liked the wake much on my 05 without the wedge. Way too mellow.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-18-2016, 12:19 PM Reply   
Ditch the power wedge and go to a floating wedge. Wedge is a real nice addition to malibu wakes. I know some guys ride without them but then compensate with several thousand pounds of weight.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-18-2016, 12:20 PM Reply   
Hmmmm.....Even with the wedge folded down you still don't have room?

Your wake will be a little less lippy.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2016, 12:21 PM Reply   
I wish I could cut the drywall. I would have a hole in my dinning room. I dont mind running 4k, I already run 3500 with wedge half way and I really like the lip.

I wonder how Tony has his weighted?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2016, 12:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Hmmmm.....Even with the wedge folded down you still don't have room?

Your wake will be a little less lippy.
The power wedge has a mounting plate on the top that comes out to almost the length of the wedge. So putting it down wont change how far it sticks out.

Currently it gets sketchy with the 1100# bag in the front, and im maxed out with the wedge down on plane. I have to carefully slow down and try not to dip the nose. The boat is extremely nose heavy when i run the wedge. I have to start with the wedge up and deploy it after I am on plane, or it wont plane at all.

I was thinking if I replaced that downforce of 1200lbs the wake would be good? it would be:

2000# in the back
1100 in the front
500 under the floor
1000# on the floor?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-18-2016, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I wish I could cut the drywall. I would have a hole in my dinning room. I dont mind running 4k, I already run 3500 with wedge half way and I really like the lip.

Yea but it would be a hole in the wall with a swim plate form as a bar. That would be a win in my book.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2016, 3:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Yea but it would be a hole in the wall with a swim plate form as a bar. That would be a win in my book.
Ok, Ok I see how everyone could win in the situation. Maybe the lady could put some fine china on display or something?
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2016, 7:42 PM Reply   
Quote:

He told me at pro tour last year but can't recall, prob similar to what you're thinking though. Should be able to plane out easier without the wedge.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-18-2016, 8:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A View Post
He told me at pro tour last year but can't recall, prob similar to what you're thinking though. Should be able to plane out easier without the wedge.
Thank you! Its worth a go, and better then the expensive storage fee.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2016, 6:11 AM Reply   
If its only a couple inches you need, you could always turn two or three studs perpendicular to how they are now without really disturbing the inside of the dining room wall much. Drywall work is cheap. Get creative or talk to a contractor if you don't have the skills.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-19-2016, 11:57 AM Reply   
Thats a good idea too. We will see how close it gets when I move in. Lets just pray. Regardless Im thinking about running bags because i cant add anymore weight without sinking the nose. It's really low, to the point where water is at the rub rail on the nose.
Old     (jstenger)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-20-2016, 2:30 PM Reply   
If it is a non bearing wall, just remove one or two studs.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-20-2016, 5:37 PM Reply   
I've spoken with tony a few times on Instagram. He asked how I had my 07 LSV weighted. We weighted our boats almost exactly the same. Full stock ballast, 1100's in the rear, 1,100 in the bow and a 750 in the floor. I ran an additional 450 in the floor when there were only a couple of us. I didn't run any wedge. Big wake, and once you start getting in the 4000-5000 pound mark a little bit of that lip you had with the wedge will come back. IMO that's the max that hull is going to put out. I've had more and it was pretty much the same.

Last edited by tn_rider; 02-20-2016 at 5:40 PM.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-21-2016, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
I've spoken with tony a few times on Instagram. He asked how I had my 07 LSV weighted. We weighted our boats almost exactly the same. Full stock ballast, 1100's in the rear, 1,100 in the bow and a 750 in the floor. I ran an additional 450 in the floor when there were only a couple of us. I didn't run any wedge. Big wake, and once you start getting in the 4000-5000 pound mark a little bit of that lip you had with the wedge will come back. IMO that's the max that hull is going to put out. I've had more and it was pretty much the same.
Are you running 1100s ontop of the hard tanks?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2016, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Are you running 1100s ontop of the hard tanks?

Yes. I fill factory, fill all the extra and then let some water out of the front tank and a little out of the rear and its money. Put as much weight in it as your boat will plane off. More bow weight gave me a better lip. More rear weight would make the wake a little bigger.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2016, 1:18 PM Reply   
'Id say I run north of 4500 pounds after I let a little water out. I believe tony said he took his front tank out and just left the space so the 1100 bag will fill where it's nice and tight. Prop will make a difference. Bought the boat with the acme 575 prop (I believe that was it) then went to the acme 2315 and it was like dropping an upgraded engine in the boat.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-21-2016, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
'Id say I run north of 4500 pounds after I let a little water out. I believe tony said he took his front tank out and just left the space so the 1100 bag will fill where it's nice and tight. Prop will make a difference. Bought the boat with the acme 575 prop (I believe that was it) then went to the acme 2315 and it was like dropping an upgraded engine in the boat.
Thats what I plan on running, bcause im maxed out as it is with the wedge. I aslo called acme and I am running a larger prop. I think 1615. It has a huge pitch
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-23-2016, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
The power wedge has a mounting plate on the top that comes out to almost the length of the wedge. So putting it down wont change how far it sticks out.

Currently it gets sketchy with the 1100# bag in the front, and im maxed out with the wedge down on plane. I have to carefully slow down and try not to dip the nose. The boat is extremely nose heavy when i run the wedge. I have to start with the wedge up and deploy it after I am on plane, or it wont plane at all.

I was thinking if I replaced that downforce of 1200lbs the wake would be good? it would be:

2000# in the back
1100 in the front
500 under the floor
1000# on the floor?
You can deploy the wedge while on plane??

I like the floating wedge idea but I'm a fan of a wedge shaped wake.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-23-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
You can deploy the wedge while on plane??

I like the floating wedge idea but I'm a fan of a wedge shaped wake.
No you can't. You can set it all the way down though (which is the least amount of drag), then put a few clicks up to increase downforce.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-24-2016, 2:00 AM Reply   
I love the idea of the wedge, but right now it's a space issue with my boat in the garage.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-24-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
I'm trying to understand how the wedge is an issue.. are you going to take off the platform before parking the boat?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-25-2016, 2:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
I'm trying to understand how the wedge is an issue.. are you going to take off the platform before parking the boat?
Exactly, after that the wedge takes up a good foot out the back, even in the down position the actuators mount to a plate.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-25-2016, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Exactly, after that the wedge takes up a good foot out the back, even in the down position the actuators mount to a plate.
Yeah.. I had one with a power wedge. Seems like a pain to take off the platform every time you park it, but I guess you don't have a choice.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-26-2016, 10:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
No you can't. You can set it all the way down though (which is the least amount of drag), then put a few clicks up to increase downforce.
He said he started with the wedge up which is why I questioned it.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-27-2016, 7:18 AM Reply   
If you don't have a swiveling tongue on you boat, installing one could possibly give you a foot or more.