Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-12-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I tried searching the forums but to no avail, if this question has been asked a bunch already sorry.

I've seen that you should get out of dealership, with some haggling, with about 20% off a sticker price with a new boat. Is there a similar rule of thumb for Used boats? Or is NADA your best bet and just use that to help with haggling.

I'm looking at a 2011 242 Supra that's listed at 57k, with about 70hrs. I'm would feel really comfortable if I got out of there under 50 Any opinions?

Also if a boat catches your eye up in your area that are in a similar price range let me know... I'm gonna be wakeboarding 99.5% of the time and right in that intermediate level. Thanks!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-12-2015, 3:39 PM Reply   
There is no rule of thumb on used boats like there are new boats. Just depends on demand of boat, what they paid for it, time of year, how long they have had it, etc....
I would doubt that you would get that boat for much under what asking price is but you never know. That price seems pretty darn good already. This time of year, dealers will probably sit close to asking price on their boats cause it is just getting ready to start popping.

Just my $.02...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-12-2015, 3:40 PM Reply   
The average person will never buy a new boat for 20% off MSRP. That is a great deal. Some buy them for that and many claim on here to but in the end for most that is a pipe dream. 15% is a better number, but your not buying new so moving on…

Used prices are tough to say as they are very regional. Most of the time dealers are higher than private party. At a licensed dealer you also pay sales tax, where in many states private party used sales you do not. 7% on 57K is a lot of money. NADA is a guide and not a super good one at that, IMO. Like I said prices are very regional so its just not that accurate most of the time. Look at boats that sold on ebay(not for sale). Look at what similar boats are selling for on Only Inboards and craigslist and similar sites. Remember those are asking prices, they aren't selling for that or they would't be there. Lastly be patient and be willing to travel for the right deal. This time of year also be ready to move quick. We are now in the strongest time of the boat market.

Your example boat would be around around $62K OTD at asking price. The chance of getting them to drop $12K plus this time of year are pretty much nil.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-12-2015, 3:52 PM Reply   
No. A lot goes into what a dealer has in a used boat or automobile. A new boat or car has a set dealer price and MSRP which allows people to come up with 15-30% off rules of thumb. (Of course some dealers get some kickbacks, but that is between them and the manufacturers). Used, on the other hand, is nearly impossible to know what a dealer has paid for it unless you go through his books. For used, you just have to go off of NADA or what comparable boats are going for online. NADA, in my opinion, is a great tool. Priced to move at $57K
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-12-2015, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick View Post
No. A lot goes into what a dealer has in a used boat or automobile. A new boat or car has a set dealer price and MSRP which allows people to come up with 15-30% off rules of thumb. (Of course some dealers get some kickbacks, but that is between them and the manufacturers). Used, on the other hand, is nearly impossible to know what a dealer has paid for it unless you go through his books. For used, you just have to go off of NADA or what comparable boats are going for online. NADA, in my opinion, is a great tool. Priced to move at $57K
You are correct. That is what they did with my old boat. They gave me NADA trade in value (probably a little more cause they didn't deduct crappy vinyl for trade in) and listed it at NADA after they replaced the vinyl.
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-12-2015, 5:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
I'm looking at a 2011 242 Supra that's listed at 57k, with about 70hrs. I'm would feel really comfortable if I got out of there under 50 Any opinions?
I have no knowledge of this boat but stumbled across it earlier today ... Same boat under 50k

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2011-Su...ina-44684.aspx
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-12-2015, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra24 View Post
I have no knowledge of this boat but stumbled across it earlier today ... Same boat under 50k

Yeah I saw that one too, that's what made think possibly getting to under 50. Plus this one is in Texas already and has lower hours. But I have an eye on both right now...

Thanks for the info guys, thats kind of what I figured and NADA sure seems dependent on how detailed/accurate you're in selecting the options. Good idea on checking ebay for sold listings, I haven't thought of that before.

When talking with a dealer is it similar when working with a car dealership on trying to get free oil changes, etc. to sweeten the deal towards my end? What options have you been successful in getting?
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-12-2015, 6:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
This time of year, dealers will probably sit close to asking price on their boats cause it is just getting ready to start popping.
Yeah I know this is also the worst time to be in the hunt, but I can't resist now that I have finally been able to save up and spring is right around the corner
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-13-2015, 5:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Used prices are tough to say as they are very regional. Most of the time dealers are higher than private party. At a licensed dealer you also pay sales tax, where in many states private party used sales you do not. 7% on 57K is a lot of money.
Not completely relevant to that exact boat or your exact situation but it depends on whether the boat is a consignment or a trade in. I bought my boat at a dealership but made a deal with the dealership to funnel the paperwork straight through the owner to avoid the immediate taxes and "dealership fees" which were like 1000 bucks. They took a lowered consignment fee (or so was said), I didn't have to pay the fees, and they avoided doing all the paperwork. Was a total win/win for the dealer and myself. They ended up making whatever the consignment fee was and also some service work to get the boat up to par.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-13-2015, 5:27 AM Reply   
Just buy it dog. You can store it in my backyard, for free!
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       03-13-2015, 7:11 AM Reply   
I thought of the exact same boat when i read the OP's post. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra24 View Post

Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-13-2015, 7:45 AM Reply   
Whether you buy through a dealer or private party your going to have to pay tax either way. You either pay tax to the dealer while they do the usual boat title and registration paperwork for you. Or you pay tax directly to the state when you do your own paperwork for title and registration, same as a car bought private party. I think the only state that doesn't charge tax on private party sales is LA, but I could be wrong, but most states have some sort of sales or use tax when registering.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       03-13-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
that '11 242 is under 50 because it has the 5.7.To do anything decent with it you'd have to replace the engine.

I would bet the 6l or 6.2 would bring significantly more.

what's crazy is, 3 years later and their 24 ft boat is well over 100k...
Old     (wakechango)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-13-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
"Whether you buy through a dealer or private party your going to have to pay tax either way. You either pay tax to the dealer while they do the usual boat title and registration paperwork for you. Or you pay tax directly to the state when you do your own paperwork for title and registration, same as a car bought private party. I think the only state that doesn't charge tax on private party sales is LA, but I could be wrong, but most states have some sort of sales or use tax when registering."

In AZ all i did was take proof of transfer of ownership to the local game and fish dept. I paid to renew my tags on the boat for the following year. No tax or transfer of ownership fee. I AZ you don't keep the boat title on hand the game and fish dept keep it on file. The only title you keep is the one to the trailer and that cost a few bucks to put in my name at the dmv.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-13-2015, 9:19 AM Reply   
you don't pay sales tax if you develop your own LLC and register the boat in Delaware.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-13-2015, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
you don't pay sales tax if you develop your own LLC and register the boat in Delaware.
Will you do my taxes for cy14?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-13-2015, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok01 View Post
Whether you buy through a dealer or private party your going to have to pay tax either way. You either pay tax to the dealer while they do the usual boat title and registration paperwork for you. Or you pay tax directly to the state when you do your own paperwork for title and registration, same as a car bought private party. I think the only state that doesn't charge tax on private party sales is LA, but I could be wrong, but most states have some sort of sales or use tax when registering.
Not true at all. That is completely dependent on the state. In Minnesota we pay 0 tax on private party sales. You do pay tax on the trailer but if you aren't smart enough to figure out how to handle that then you deserve to pay the tax!!!!! If you look into it its about 50/50 for states that charge tax on private party or not. It depends on where you register not where you buy.
Old     (StuartC80)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-13-2015, 4:12 PM Reply   
No taxes on used boats in Arkansas either. It's been a deciding factor on buying used for me. Nada values aren't realistic on most used wakeboats in this part of the country. 57k doesn't sound too bad for the '11 Supra.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-13-2015, 9:24 PM Reply   
Good info on state taxes. As you guys said its not the state you buy in, it's the state you register in. I paid 6% tax in TX when I bought my boat. When I moved to WA they charged a "use" tax which is close to the local sale tax, 8.7 %, and I had to pay the difference in tax that I didn't pay on TX to WA, 2.7%. At least WA doesn't have a state income tax.