Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-28-2014, 10:46 PM Reply   
So it's that time of year where we start talking about Christmas gifts and planning them so we can budget, get stuff shipped if need be, and basically plan out for the end of the year.

We went through the normal stuff for the kids and then went to what we each wanted.

I want a new board. I have a really small skim, which can be fun, but it's realistically just too small for me. I have been riding for 2 seasons, this board would be for my third. I have ridden a decent amount of boards and have an idea of what I'm looking for. I exclusively rode surf style the first year. This year, I started riding skim style as well and definitely like it more. It just fits me better. I am looking to do this for the foreseeable future and want to get an excellent skimboard.

My dilema I have now, is that I am not in a position to ride either of the boards I'm looking at, let alone side by side to compare.

I am looking at the Phase 5 Danielo Carbon Pro and the Victoria Factor PCX. Both go new for around $600.

Both are carbon fiber and a step up from the standard versions they are based off of. I am looking at the 55" for the Victoria and the 54" for the Phase 5.
I'm 6'0 215lbs right now. I just have a few questions about the boards.
I would consider myself an intermediate rider. I am working on spins, I can pull them off, but generally just have a hard time recovering after getting around. I haven't got any luck on any airs yet.

1: Are the carbon versions really that much better than the regular versions? From what I hear, they are lighter and more stiff, so you they will be faster and more responsive as well as let you get more air for said reasons. Are there any other design differences other than the construction materials?

2: Are they worth the extra $100-125 over the regular versions?

3: Are they more durable, or more fragile? If you get little nicks in them, is it the same fiberglass repair process as a regular board, or is it different being carbon fiber?

4: Between the two boards, which is the better board. I know they are top teir boards from great companies, but I'd like to hear from someone who has ridden both, their take on them. If you have ridden only one, how was it, are there any boards you prefer better?

Anyway, I am going to be getting one of these boards, maybe something else if there is a better skim option out there. I looked into the Triple X skim, but it has a pretty low weight rating and I read some reviews saying that it was an ok skim, but not great.

Just about any board I get is going to be a blind purchase and not ridden until next season. I just want to make sure I don't regret which one I get.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-28-2014, 11:47 PM Reply   
At your size, you will want to look at the 52" Factor PCX. You will get more performance out of the 52". Victorias are wider and shorter, where Phase 5 is longer and narrower. So the Vic 52" compares to the Phase 5 54".
After testing, the weight ranges are being relisted next year. The 50" is 140-180, 52 is 180-220, 55 is 220-250

Carbon Fiber stays is a lot snappier and lively than E-Glass.
In Victoria wakesurf boards, the boards use a mid-density PVC core. This is the same core used in the highest end wakeboards (Ronix Air core/Hyperlite Nova Core). PVC is stiffer and holds its shape much longer than traditional foam cores, so it breaks down slower. Boards are constantly flexing while riding and that causes the core soften up (along with high temperatures and improper care) over time. PVC is going to keep the board true and snappy for even longer. The Factor PCX actually uses a high-density PVC core, so besides the upgrade to full carbon fiber (top and bottom sheet) you are also getting an even better core.

I am not sure what core Phase 5 uses since it is not listed, but I do know that they only use carbon fiber on the top sheet of their boards. But Phase 5 definitely makes great boards/shapes. Phase 5 and Victoria are my top 2 choices for skimboards.

Carob Fiber does not make the boards less prone to damage. They will still crack when dropped/hit and they will still get heal dents. But their performance lasts longer than E-Glass boards and their performance is better right away as well.

If you dont plan on learning airs, stick with E-Glass. Airs are where you really notice the difference in my opinion.

Whether you get a Phase 5 or a Victoria, you wont regret your purchase. They are both great brands that put a ton of R&D into their boards and are proven.

Last edited by wakemitch; 09-28-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-29-2014, 6:06 AM Reply   
Phantom I have a P5 XL Danielo carbon you can demo. Just let me know. Think we are going out Friday
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-29-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Wakemitch, thanks for the info on the boards. From that, it looks like I'm leaning towards the Victoria. I actually narrowed my search down to those two boards from a post you made on themalibucrew, but this gave a lot more info on them.
You are/or work for a dealer right? Can you PM pricing for these if you are? Or at least some contact info? Also, the custom Factors have to go straight through Victoria right?

h2oking, That sounds good. I'd love to try out one of the boards I'm looking at. I have also been wanting to get on your Supreme since like Memorial day, but things never seemed to line up. Let's plan on that, text me when it gets a little closer and we get a time locked in. Earlier the better, you know how we got to steal that butter!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-29-2014, 12:15 PM Reply   
Phantom, I'm the NorCal sales rep for Victoria. I sign up and support Vic dealers. I don't sell boards to riders, but I can get you in contact with a shop that carries Vic. NW Boat Sports is your closest dealer. They have boards in stock and can also order anything you need.

Custom Vics can be ordered through any Victoria dealer as well as on the Victoria website, but dealers can usually get you a better deal by giving you free shipping or something.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-29-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
I gotcha. Good deal. I'll probably check them out. I wasn't sure who carried them in this area. I'm gonna try to see about riding both before the end of the season to have a concrete comparison. Glad H20king is able to hook me up with a demo of the P5.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-29-2014, 2:24 PM Reply   
Hey thanks Mitch for the recommendation to NW Boat Sports. I sent them a message asking if they had a Factor PCX that I could try out. They replied back really quickly and said I can take it out on Friday with H20King to test them out side by side.

Between you and H20King, this is definitely some awesome thread help. Nothing better than trying both boards back to back to help the decision making process.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-29-2014, 3:12 PM Reply   
Please report back. I'm looking at the Factor PCX and the P5 Danielo Diamond
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-29-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Well board reviews are what I do here, so you know there will be a write up on them!

If I'm correct though, the Danielo Diamond and Danielo Carbon pro have slightly different tails, the pin tail on the carbon and the diamond tail on the diamond. It might not be the same for the review as they are different construction as well, but I'm sure it's be close and it would help either way.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-29-2014, 3:28 PM Reply   
You being able to ride both of those boards side by side on that Supreme might as well BE Christmas for you.

Honestly, I don't think you'll have more fun in 2014 than this Friday.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-29-2014, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
You being able to ride both of those boards side by side on that Supreme might as well BE Christmas for you.

Honestly, I don't think you'll have more fun in 2014 than this Friday.
This is true, especially with everything I've heard about H20Kings specific setup and wake. From everything I've seen on here, it looks like it's some kind of special.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-29-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
This is true, especially with everything I've heard about H20Kings specific setup and wake. From everything I've seen on here, it looks like it's some kind of special.

Okay, what's so special about his setup?

What's he running for ballast? Any kind of surf system?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-29-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
No surf system, listed, slammed, and dialed. Saw pics and I think I remember videos of it. Looks long and tall. I'll be able to give a first hand report later this week.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-29-2014, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Well board reviews are what I do here, so you know there will be a write up on them!

If I'm correct though, the Danielo Diamond and Danielo Carbon pro have slightly different tails, the pin tail on the carbon and the diamond tail on the diamond. It might not be the same for the review as they are different construction as well, but I'm sure it's be close and it would help either way.
Danielo Carbon and Diamond are both Carbon and I'm aware of the tail shape difference. Just curious as to how each locks into the face of the wave as in which feels more controlled.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-29-2014, 11:41 PM Reply   

Picked up my Victoria last week , haven't ridden it yet though ! I can't wait to hear your review!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-30-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Danielo Carbon and Diamond are both Carbon and I'm aware of the tail shape difference. Just curious as to how each locks into the face of the wave as in which feels more controlled.
Interesting, did not know that both were carbon. I will keep you posted with my findings.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-30-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
H20's supreme is legit, best wave I got to ride this year...
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-01-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have the Victoria Agent and the P5 Danielo Diamond. The agent gets ridden 9 out of 10 times with our group. I am looking to try out the Factor soon.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-02-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
Sent you a PM
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-02-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
Sent to who? I didn't get anything.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-02-2014, 3:30 PM Reply   
Desi,

Call me about a skim to review, my number is listed

Cheers
Mark
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-04-2014, 9:22 PM Reply   
Well made it out yesterday
First off, excellent conditions to do some board testing, awesome wake, plenty long, tons of energy and buttery water on a nice warm day. Water temps were low 60s, but not bad at all.

I'm going to post up a full review of the boards I rode in my review thread, but I just wanted to write a little here as an update about the two I was deciding between in this thread.

The Victoria Factor PCX is very loose, but spins very easily, almost too easily. I tried to pull a 360 and ended up spinning too fast into an uninentional 720 which surprised me and I didn't ride out. It also rides away from the wake a lot, not with it. Sometimes it feels like you're fighting it to stay tracking straight.

The Phase 5 Carbon Pro grips the water more and is more controllable and tracks very well for a skim style, almost feels like riding a surf style. It is a thicker board and doesn't cut through the water as well when you try to spin it, it feels like it rolls over instead of cutting through the water, almost as if it gets stuck. Each time I attempted a spin on this, it would dig into the face of the wake too much, roll, and kick me off. It felt like hitting a rock with a skateboard, it stops and you keep going. I'm not saying you can't spin this, you definitely can, but it takes a slightly different approach than any of the other skims I've ridden.

Overall which one did I decide on? Actually neither. I also rode a Soulcraft Skimmer and even though it didn't feel AS fast as the other two, it rode ridiculously well. You could carve around like a surf style with a lot of grip, it was very loose when you wanted it to be, and you could spin it easily. I actually came very close to pulling a surface 360 on this. Made it all around, stopped in the right position and started pumping, but just couldn't get enough momentum going again to get back in the pocket.

I have at least two more skims to ride and review before the season is over, so I haven't quite made my mind up yet. So far the Soulcraft Skimmer is in top position. This was just an off the shelf model as well, a custom version of it would probably ride a little better, if that's possible.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-05-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
where is the boat review ?? don't worry I can take it LOL
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-05-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
lol Only have a thread setup for Surf Systems right now, so how about a mini review?

With how well your 2014 V226 surfs with it's custom ballast I am starting to prefer a listed wave now.
It has a huge wave with tons of energy behind it. The pocket is very long, clean and smooth. It transitions nicely and is completely usable throughout the entire range. It is tall, but not too rampy to make a huge drop into the flats. Bottom turns on this are done without pearling because of the smooth transition without a huge drop.
This is one of my favorite waves I've ridden. It's a tie between your Supreme and the gated MB.
You able to get really far back in the pocket and recover, even when you think you might not be able to pull it off. I can only see it getting better from here when you get that new platform on that isn't tearing into the wake. I know when we did the custom platform on the Supra, the wave got a ton more energy and got even longer from losing the interference.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-06-2014, 9:11 AM Reply   
Supreme has a surf system its called a hull