Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2013, 8:13 PM Reply   
What is the best product to use to clean the carpet in your boat? I remember way back that the dealer had told me to use Woolite and a brush to clean the carpet.... This past weekend, my 4 year old spilled a bottle of milk on the carpet in the floor of the boat. I rinsed it pretty good with water and scrubbed it with a brush, but the next day it still had a smell, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to use.

Last edited by bboozer; 05-27-2013 at 8:15 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-27-2013, 10:06 PM Reply   
Boozer you spelled white russian, m-i-l-k.. That 4 year old has big shoes to fill following a name like that! I've used a bissell home carpet shampoo machine in my boat with their brand soap and it seemed to work good on stains and took out some funky smells where water had sat too long on the carpet in the rear compartments. good luck, thats not a pleasant odor to have lingering on a hot day
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-28-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
Power washer.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-28-2013, 7:00 AM Reply   
I take mine out and power wash it.. Then every couple times I spray it down with fabric softener and let it sit 15 mins and rinse.. Clean and soft.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-28-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Park on a hill, pull the plug and pressure wash it.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-28-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Park on a hill, pull the plug and pressure wash it.
This

Sent from my iPhone 5... ya right!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-28-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
oh yeah and leave it in the sun or with fans and dry it out fast and completely so it does not smell after.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-28-2013, 11:48 AM Reply   
power wash then fabric softener. I went all out and steam cleaned mine this winter but it didn't turn out much better than a power wash job
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-28-2013, 12:10 PM Reply   
Power wash here too. Maybe a slight pre soak of a mix of detergent, water, and a little degreaser from a pump sprayer to really bring out the shine.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-01-2013, 12:48 PM Reply   
i've had pretty good luck w/ this combo:

1. Vacuum
2. Turtle Wax Carpet Cleaner and scrub it in
3. Babes Oder Eliminator
4. BBQ Grill Brush all of it

makes the carpet look pretty new, but i'm interested in trying that fabric softner idea.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       06-02-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
Wet carpet
water and 1/4 cup tide in 1gallon pump sprayer. Spray carpet and scrub with a nylon brush
power wash
water and 1 cup downey in pump sprayer. Let it sit for 15-20min
Power wash
wet/dry vac out remaining water from carpet and let sit with some fans out in sun
Attached Images

Old     (2LakeWake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-04-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
In years past I went the bissell route....I found that because of leftover soap residue the carpet got dirty faster. I was hesitant of the power wash deal since we have had a relatively abnormal spring here and i did t have time to let it dry. I would suggest using resolve or something along those lines for the heavy spots and follow that up with a garden hose scrub brush and a shop vac. I used the latter 3 only in mine, and it got it cleaner than the bissell. I know I had plenty of residue from the bissell products still in the carpet from the suds I rinsed out while cleaning.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
Pressure wash here. Make sure nozzle doesn't get to close.

For stains. I use the same thing I use on my vinyl. Totally Awesome Cleaner. Works perfect
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-05-2013, 9:54 AM Reply   
I guess I am spoiled. On our last boat, I cleaned it with a professional carpet extractor that would super heat the water. I would go over a section with the detergent, then brush the hell out of the carpet, then go over again with super heated water. Took out just about every stain, and our like has a clay bottom and brown/clay colored water. There was no way in hell I was getting another carpeted boat for our lake.
Old     (DavidsonTaylor)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2013, 11:03 PM Reply   
My carpet is just dirt/mud. The Simple green works good at getting it out. I've even removed blood with Simple green. It was the first time I had ever heard of using Simple green to clean carpet, my friend told me about this. I'm a great fan of green cleaning. even if i undertake any cleaning contracts
Toronto
, I use green cleaning.
Old     (DavidsonTaylor)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-01-2013, 11:16 PM Reply   
Mix 1 part vinegar and 5 parts water. Soak the carpet and scrub it with a hard brush. It get's rid of all minerals from the water and makes the carpet look great. Use Resolve for any spots that don't come-out.
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 11:33 PM Reply   
Antibacterial dish soap has always worked well for us. I've never noticed any residue and it helps keep any mildew issues down too. Hell its meant for washing food off of plastic and that's all the carpet is anyway. Unless its Berber
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-02-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
I tried the laundry soap and BBQ brush. Worked like a charm.
Old     (carlferguson148)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-17-2013, 6:06 AM Reply   
One of the best ways to clean your carpet is vacuum cleaning.
Old     (carlferguson148)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-21-2013, 12:07 PM Reply   
I used Stanley Steemer Carpet Cleaner. They were a little expensive, but they did a great job and I think it was worth it!

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-21-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
I don't think my carpet is too dirty, but then again looking at some of your guys pics of how dark the gray carpet was, then seeing after, now in questioning of mine is just dark gray carpet, or not! Haha

I'm all up for power washing, but my boat is an 01 centurion, no removable carpet and wood backing. Is this going to cause an issue with water soaking in the wood?

Now I want to clean my carpets!

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.