Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Doomey1)      Join Date: Jul 2015       10-19-2015, 12:14 PM Reply   
Are there any die hards still using lead? I don't hear of a lot of people using lead it seems like all sacks. If so how much is lead per pound nowadays. Thanks for the input
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       10-19-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
We do, as far as price no idea, I just got a few hundred pounds for free from my local tire shop, wheel weights!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-19-2015, 1:51 PM Reply   
Yes I use it. $57 shipped per 50# Leadwake.com
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-19-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
Love my leadwakes bags, great for fine tuning and not moving people around.

Plus, it's always fun to ask the new guy on the boat to move that little bag around, and see them flinch when they feel the weight of it!
Old     (nickfernandez00)      Join Date: May 2015       10-19-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
i went to the local tire shop too, brought the guys a pizza and they gave me 500 pounds!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-19-2015, 10:02 PM Reply   
BombWake.com I used to run 800£ in my boat. Upgraded to a G23 and now just use 300£. Sold all the excess wait for the exact same price I purchased for. Held its value and it's not like it gets worn out
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-19-2015, 10:10 PM Reply   
Yep still run about 300# up front and then another 250 or so to move around in back.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-19-2015, 11:18 PM Reply   
I just swapped out pop bags for larger plumbed in sacs because of the long tow to/from the lake. I wanted to extend the life of my trailer and save on gas money. But I still use about 80-160lbs of pop bags, depending on how many people we have in the boat, to balance the wake.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2015, 8:18 AM Reply   
I also like using mine on those obnoxious Texas ice days. I put 500# of them in the truck bed and kick the F250 into 4 wheel drive. I pass a lot of stuck 4x4's that think a 4x4 won't slide on the ice.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-20-2015, 9:31 AM Reply   
I run 500lbs through out the boat. It makes the wake wth just factory ballast and the hidden pnp legit.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-20-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
I use Pop Bags and Lead Wake bags. I don't tow far, so it works for me. The Lead Wake bags are especially nice to have on the floor because they are super easy to move around to level the boat.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
Lead wake bags are very hard to find, but they are the only thing we have used, just tough to get. That should be different starting in November. They are filled with the same material as the pop bags.

http://wake9.com/product/wake-ballast-steel-bags/
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-20-2015, 10:07 AM Reply   
They aren't hard to find at all. You can go to www.LeadWake.com or www.Pop-Products.com and order up right now.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2015, 10:16 AM Reply   
Lead wake is now being supplied by the same wakeballast.com in large quantities.

I didn't have as good experience with the pop bags, they didn't hold up like the canvas bags.
Old     (jc57)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-20-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
Hello Robert, I noticed the post you put up about my Lead Wake bags and that they are hard to get. I'm sorry you feel this way, as I haven't had any complaints from anyone else regarding this matter. Further, I don't know what your affiliation is with Benoit (obviously you guys have been in contact seeing that you are going to be carrying his "knock off" Lead Wake bags which are clearly an exact replication of the same product I have sold for the past 7 years) but I can assure you that anything that I sell has been 100% created by me and not an after thought of someone else's design. That being said I hope you do well with your endeavors....I like a little challenge...just causes me to get more creative...clearly something you and wakeballast.com have not tried. And just to clarify, Lead Wake is NOT being supplied with the same wakeballast.com.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
ok, we can take this offline, but I also tried to call, facebook message and email you over a couple of months. If I am wrong about the supply, I apologize, but I did have the "tough to get" experience myself, and several of our subscribers/followers. You know how to reach me and I will be happy to discuss privately.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-20-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
Wow, those Wake Ballast bags look to be an exact ripoff of Lead Wake's bags (although it looks like they cut a corner by leaving out the padding). If you're going to steal somebody's product, at least have the decency to put your own spin on it. That's pretty sad and pathetic. I will continue to get my bags from Lead Wake.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-20-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
I'll vouch for Jared @Leadwake.com. I have placed two different orders with him and it has gone down without a glitch. Hit him up and he will take care of you.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-20-2015, 2:59 PM Reply   
I have about 300lbs in the nose of my boat.
I just got wheel weights and melted them into small brownie pans.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-20-2015, 7:45 PM Reply   
Did the lead wake bags go up in price? I thought they were $55 shipped for a 50 lb bag, now they're $67.50 shipped...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2015, 8:09 PM Reply   
I just spoke to Jared at Lead Wake. I have sent him customers for years and would never do anything to hurt another guy trying to make an honest buck. For the moment, I am going to hold off on anything with wakeballast.com until I figure things out with Jared.

An unfortunate situation due to a lack of communication.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-20-2015, 8:24 PM Reply   
Well this just got interesting.

I am still rolling around 520lbs in pop bags in my boat. Maybe on some of these new ginormous wake machines they're not needed, but I prefer the space saving and ability to tweak side to side weight in seconds. My pop bags are 9 yrs old stay in my boat all season, and still look in awesome shape. The boat responds much better to the lead than a sack IMO because you can stack the bags as far forward as you can.
Old     (jc57)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-20-2015, 9:35 PM Reply   
I appreciate the phone call Robert, and yes I agree that there was a communication break down more so on my end. I know that we have had a great relationship since 2009 when I provided my Lead Wake bags for the wakesurf championship at Castaic lake and hope to continue to help out both the wakeboard and wakesurf community as much and often as I can. Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify the situation. Hope all is well up in NorCal and look forward to the upcoming 2016 season.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-20-2015, 10:57 PM Reply   
I run Jared's Lead-Wake bags. 600#'s throughout the boat. They are excellent for getting that extra bow weight you can't get out of a hidden ballast bag, or for those touchy side to side boats, having a couple hundred pounds to move around to clean up/dial in your wake is a must, no matter what boat you have (yes, even a G needs them). I think I saw Harley Clifford runs Lead Wake in his X-star on an Instagram post this year (I know I saw a sticker on his board after he won an event this year, I forget which pro stop it was). Anyhow they are excellent. Made very tough, have had them for 5 years now and I move them around a lot, experimenting with my wake shape AND helping out a friend who likes to "borrow" my bags sometimes. (Cheap bastard needs to get his own, I know, I know...but he is a cheap fireman somewhere in the greater Los Angeles County area and I am sure I will continue to help him out). I have once again pulled and moved my lead around to experiment with my wake and the 4 bags I had tucked away in my nose for the last 5 years look like new!

These things are legit.... those cheap steel copies have to be infringing on a patent???
Old     (Doomey1)      Join Date: Jul 2015       10-21-2015, 8:08 AM Reply   
Well that good to see that lead is still being used. A friend of mine has about 800#s that he's trying to liquidate and he wasn't haven't much luck so I figured might as well see who still uses it. I'll have to check out the lead wakes site though.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-21-2015, 8:09 AM Reply   
yep, still running about #350. can't beat it for stuffing under front seats or offsetting an unbalanced wake
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
I personally don't like using lead (just a preference), but nothing beats it for precise placement and adjustments, especially those lead wake bags.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       10-21-2015, 9:31 AM Reply   
+1 for LeakWake.com. I ordered through Jared 3 years ago and can say that not only is the product quality excellent but the customer service experience was exceptional as well. The bags still look brand new after 3 years of regular use moving them around the boat. I've got 400 pounds, thinking of picking up some more.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-21-2015, 12:15 PM Reply   
Lead is NOT used by LeadWake.com despite the name. They use steel shot in their bags. Maybe he should change his name to WakeOfSteel.com!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
True, they used to use lead. I remember in the beginning the lead came from used bullets, I THINK from LAPD academy? I don't remember.
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-21-2015, 5:10 PM Reply   
I Have like 500 in lead blocks, scored it at a local recycle yard near me....I like having it...
Old     (deelan)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-21-2015, 6:34 PM Reply   
Is their a WW coupon code? Ive never used lead but do want to order a cpl hundred pounds....but its $270 for 200lbs. (jc57)

Last edited by deelan; 10-21-2015 at 6:36 PM.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-22-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
Got some bags in 2013 and they were lead and awesome! That being said the bag itself it top shelf quality and is padded to protect the boat. I picked mine up locally and Jarod even offered to come help dial my boats wakeboard wake. Very nice guy and really easy to work with.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-22-2015, 5:50 PM Reply   
I would be curious to get lead blood levels on folks after a summer of moving lead bags around. How do y'all seal the bags up and everything and keep from getting lead residue on your hands and everything?

I would guess Leadwake shifted to steel shot for environmental and health reasons...but I really have not idea. Just a guess.

I think TungstenWake is the way to go.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-23-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
In my personal experience we have ordered twice from Jared and both times it was a smooth easy process. He has always responded very quickly and his products of held up over three summers without an issue. We prefer lead over ballast bags since we live on the lake and don't have to tow a boat. Saves a lot of room inside the boat and we are able to fine tune side to side very easily.

The only negative I can say about Jared is he did give me a really hard time when I sold my G and bought an X-Star LOL !!!
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-23-2015, 3:17 PM Reply   
I highly doubt there is any exposure to the lead dust when moving the lead wake bags around. If i remember correctly the lead is used as it's picked up from a gun range, and there is an inner plastic bag. Plus lead is hard to "dust" unless really agitated and that's not going to happen. Plus it won't RUST.

The steel shot used in some bags (pop products specifically) are the popped out steel from the owner's other manufacturing endeavor, making computer racks.
Rather than set up a disposal/scrap guy he decided to bag them and sell them.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-23-2015, 4:43 PM Reply   
Maybe its steel shot, which is typically required for duck/goose hunting.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       10-27-2015, 1:05 PM Reply   
I use 400 lbs from pop products in my boat. The 40 lb bags seem fairly sturdy.

Usually 280 as far forward in the nose and then the rest under the back seat to offset He weight of the driver and heater.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-28-2015, 1:20 PM Reply   
been using pop-products.com bags for 4 years now. 400lbs for only $375 delivered.
i do almost the exact same as riley212 ^^
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       11-03-2015, 8:51 AM Reply   
FYI, Walmart.com has sets of 3 50# kettlebells on sale for $87 and free shipping. That comes to $0.62 per #. Might be a good alternative to lead bags. Kettle bells don't take up much space. I got a set to use on those days when I only have one or two with me and need to offset driver weight. Can also swing 'em if you're into that sort of thing!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Piece-CA...ype=10&veh=aff
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2020, 2:13 AM Reply   
Been awhile since the last update on this thread, but I got a new boat and wanted a couple hundred lbs of weight in the front, did a search here and found this thread. Leadwake.com has a nice little sale going on for the next couple of weeks so just put in my order. The bags look really nice online, so I'm going with these rather than spend a bunch of time and hassle putting together something cheaper. These will be perfect for under the seats in the bow.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       07-03-2020, 1:55 PM Reply   
Leadwakes bags aren't lead at all. They're steel. I have 7 of them - great product and very useful for fine tuning.
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-06-2020, 12:34 AM Reply   
Another +1 for Jared and Lead Wake. I use fatsacs for the majority of the ballast and then 150lbs in Lead Wake to fine tune instead of moving people around etc. They've held up perfectly over the years, easy to move, and soft enough that they don't hurt if you kick it by accident
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-07-2020, 6:40 AM Reply   
Local shops that sell Ronix now have access to these as well https://www.ronixwake.com/products/boost-sac
Old     (Losy)      Join Date: Sep 2019 Location: Long Beach Send a message via ICQ to Losy       07-07-2020, 1:05 PM Reply   
just received my leadwake bags. Had a great 15% off Father Day Sale. My kids were like... You want Lead bags for Father Day???
Ragboy's helpful video sold me on adding lead to my boat. I even low key want a Barbie boat now...
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-07-2020, 3:39 PM Reply   
I definitely still run lead, and also a couple of my buddies do. I have 500+ in lead .