Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (awill24)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-03-2014, 2:17 PM Reply   
Bought my first boat. Have searched many forums online for hours and found info here and there and belong to the supra boat forum. I still cannot get enough replies or info I need to restore my boat on my own. Hoping to get more info here. Please be specific and speak English that a first boat owner would understand. I do not understand many terms or words because I know nothing about boats. I will post tons of pictures later!

What is my boat hull made of? Is it a gel coat base? Are small gel coat cracks really necessary to repair?

Have all the carpet removed. No soft spots what so ever, although we wanna put a whole new resin over the wood flooring just to be safe and to last longer. What kind of resin should I buy to put on the boats wooden floor? Please please be specific. Should we roll in on with a painting wheel? Is there spray resin that is recommended instead? Is it epoxy resin? Where can u buy this resin and what brand or type of resin do you use?

Carpet: should we put down 40 oz carpet? I've read you should use atleast 20 oz carpet. Would 20 oz carpet work fine as well? How about glue? What kind of adhesive should be applied to the wood when installing the new carpet? Please be specific again I do not know anything about boat carpet or boats.

Thanks so much. PICS COMING SOON.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-04-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
I cant believe you have been on the Supra forum and cant get your questions answered. They have very knowable members that know your boat specificity.
Your boat is made using polyester and fiberglass mat with a gel coat on the outside to give it color and smoothness. Small gel cracks are cosmetic no need to fix them unless you don't like the looks, You should check your stringers and engine mounts . Two good places to call about epoxy and fiberglass products are US Composites and Rot Doctor. I like thicker carpet but any marine carpet you like will do. Home Depot has some very good outdoor carpet glue I think its made bt Johnson $12.00 a gal.
Old     (awill24)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-04-2014, 8:04 AM Reply   
I've gotten tons of info from there. The replies are limited on my posts though. Searching the forum I've found tons of info but not much specific to my boat. Thanks for the info! I'm convinced someone did a stringer job, or this boat was in storage most it's life because the motor mounts are solid and tighten down, and the wood stringers seem solid when tapping along with a hammer.

1. I will soon post a picture of a large crack where the starboard?? Meets the transom?? Is what they said on supra forum ha. Can someone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks so much.
Old     (awill24)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-05-2014, 2:32 AM Reply   

The crack.... Anyone know how to fix? It's been there for years and has never gotten any worse, but I would like to fix it the right way if it is important of atleast fix it so it doesn't look bad.

Check out these homemade ballast tanks! Pretty sketch but there are NO leaks whatsoever and all pumps fill and drain properly.
Old     (awill24)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-05-2014, 2:33 AM Reply   

click image upload
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-05-2014, 5:53 AM Reply   
These are not "small" cracks! For proper fixing of them you have to separate upper deck out.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-05-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
+1 on the supraboats forum. Lots more specific info there.
Basically all the boats of that era from Supra were based on the same hull. Up until 1992 they use a fiberglass hull and wooden stringers. From 1992 on they were all composite.

I would ask biggsie and check his thread out. He has a copy of it here, but more in depth on the Supra forum as well

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800554

He did a complete restore/mod on an older Supra not very different from yours. You could learn a lot from the thread on steps he took and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions.
Old     (awill24)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-05-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
Alex, I know that this is not a small crack lol. This is the only large crack on the boat and I was hoping someone would know how to fix. Do I have to take the boat so off in order to fix? This boat is not in need of a full restore. Wooden stringers are solid. The wood floors may look discolored but they are also rock solid with no soft spots and have already been layered with some kind of resin. I'm already more impressed with this forums reply speed etc. I'll check that guys restore out. I've searched hours on forums. Can't find a crack similar to this one.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-06-2014, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by awill24 View Post
Alex, I know that this is not a small crack lol. This is the only large crack on the boat and I was hoping someone would know how to fix. Do I have to take the boat so off in order to fix? This boat is not in need of a full restore. Wooden stringers are solid. The wood floors may look discolored but they are also rock solid with no soft spots and have already been layered with some kind of resin. I'm already more impressed with this forums reply speed etc. I'll check that guys restore out. I've searched hours on forums. Can't find a crack similar to this one.
You really need to get at it from behind (that's what she said) to fix it right and make it look good
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-06-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
Ya!! Get on it from behind!! C'mon man everybody knows tgat!
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-06-2014, 2:48 PM Reply   
If you have no interest for cosmetic you can fix this crack by fiberglass from upper side. But in this case you'll lost gelcoat gloss and have to hide this place by a seat back. You need to remove 2-3 inches of gelcoat and some fiberglass on both sides from crack and create new corner but even this case this place will be very weak and new crack can appear quickly. Or you can use "L" metal and rivets also . BTW usually main problem in separating deck is removing rub rail.
Old     (awill24)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-17-2014, 3:29 PM Reply   
I plan on using a grinder and taking out three inches of gloss and fiberglass on each side of the crack. Then using fiberglass matting and resin to fix. Then sand etc. My ? Is how do I get a gel coat paint or where can I get gel coat once I'm done with all the fiberglass work.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-19-2014, 12:35 AM Reply   
http://spectrumcolor.com/Index.aspx or http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Gel-Coat-...view_id.246645