Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-26-2014, 3:27 PM Reply   
Hello all,

I am looking to upgrade my boat I was looking at the Supra SA which would work for my lift, or a G21 or maybe G23 but I would have to upgrade my lift? I mostly wakeboard with some surfing on windy days. Any opinions would be cool thank you in advance.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       09-26-2014, 3:49 PM Reply   
Isn't the SA a 24' boat? The G23 would be a closer comparison.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-26-2014, 3:54 PM Reply   
the SA is 22'6" and the SE is 24'6".
Old     (matty_gs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
the SA is 22'6" and the SE is 24'6".
According to Supra's website:

Supra SA
Overall Length w/ Platform: 24' 6"
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-26-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
I've never seen anyone cite the measurement with the platform when talking about how long a wake boat is. It is detachable and therefor not part of the actual structure of the boat. The only time I have ever seen anyone talk about length with the platform is when talking about garage or storage fitment.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-26-2014, 5:31 PM Reply   
It really depends on what you personally want in a boat. Both have great wakes, but there is no question that the G, being as massive as it is, will be much larger with less weight in the boat. They both have clean wakes at slow speeds which is great for beginners, and we've been seeing pros land wake to wake 1080's and double flips on both. I think it's safe to say neither will disappoint, but the SA (which is absolutely a 22 foot boat) will need more weight to be a pro level wake. On the flip side, the SA handles like a sports car and can turn on a dime with or without weight, which is nice if you ride in coves with tight corners. Storage is on another level in the G obviously, but for some the perks of such a huge boat come at the expense of looks. This is subjective of course, but I find both of them good looking in their own ways. Price advantage goes to the SA by far.

Like most here will tell you, go sit in them, drive them and ride behind them. They both cost a ton of money so I would want to be 100% sure I made the right decision for me.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-27-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
I would say G21 hand's down. I have a friend who has a 13' SA and the wake is decent but not G21 quality. He is actually in the process of selling to get a 15' Axis. We tried a number of weight setups and compared to our other friend's 07 Malibu LSV, the SA never compared. Yes, the interior is incredible etc, but for wakeboard wake, there is better. We don't surf at all, so I can't comment on that.
Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-28-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
I have a 2013 Axis I love the wake but not a huge fan of the tower, That is one of the big reasons I want to upgrade. I did demo a G23 the other day the conditions were awful so I didn't get a good idea of the true potential of the wake.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-28-2014, 2:24 PM Reply   
I think the new Axis Tower is nice.
Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-28-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
I just need to take the tower down all the time to get in into my boat lift so it kind of sucks trying to take down or put up my tower by myself.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-29-2014, 5:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I just need to take the tower down all the time to get in into my boat lift so it kind of sucks trying to take down or put up my tower by myself.
The G tower is an easy one person operation.. check the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaEv9Y_H57A&hd=1
Old     (theboy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-29-2014, 5:28 AM Reply   
they have the same tower
Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-29-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
I meant my Axis was hard to take down or put up the tower myself which is a big reason for the upgrade. The G and the Supra have the same style tower easy for one person operation. I was also curious if I do decide on the G and need to upgrade my lift anyway would the 23 be the way to go or is the 21 very close in wake comparison.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-30-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
I meant my Axis was hard to take down or put up the tower myself which is a big reason for the upgrade. The G and the Supra have the same style tower easy for one person operation. I was also curious if I do decide on the G and need to upgrade my lift anyway would the 23 be the way to go or is the 21 very close in wake comparison.
The wake will basically be the same size between the 2, but the G21 will have more of a lip at the top of the wake. You can't go wrong with a G series boat - just find out what length would fit you best
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-30-2014, 12:32 PM Reply   
Why not throw an ASR into the mix. The wakeboard wake is OMG monsterous, handles like a 20 footer at speed and the surf wake has the power of an ocean wave. Demoed one a few weekends ago and I was blown away. Used an SA550 a while back for a day as well and was not super impressed with the wakeboard wake but the surf wake was pretty good. Did not handle very well either. I imagine the G will be similar to the ASR but have not demoed one yet. Looking at pictures the wakeboard wake looks good but the surf wake does not look as big or clean as the ASR.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-30-2014, 2:25 PM Reply   
what did they change on the ASR to get a good surf wake? I like the design, but on Tige Forum i have been reading a lot of problems with the surf wake. Can not demo one, because Tige is non existent in our region.

Last edited by OneCent; 09-30-2014 at 2:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-30-2014, 5:53 PM Reply   
I demoed a 2014 with and with out the VX.

I am not sure why people are complaining. They must not have actually ever used one. Once you add some weight this heavy hitter throws out some serious water. I really enjoyed the surf wake. One of the best ones I have rode to date.

Once you got it dialed it pays you back. The Wakeboard wake is absolutely phenomenal. I still can't get over how well it drives fully loaded down. Turns real flat and just flat out drives like a boat should for Wakeboarding.
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-30-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
If you thought the SA550 handled poorly and the ASR great then the ASR must be in a league of its own. I've never heard anyone speak negatively about the SA. I thought the 450 was impressive.

OP, if you are considering the g23, what about the SE now that it is out? It's more in line with the G depth wise and probably drives better.

Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-01-2014, 5:05 AM Reply   
The SA handling when loaded with Ballast I felt was nothing special. It took forever to get on plane and anytime you turned it would wash out and take a while for the wake to form again. It felt the weight and made you have to drive accordingly. No different than my boat in that department. Just with the ASR when we demoed it did not handle like it had 3400 lbs of water in it and 5 people. So yes I do feel the asr is in a league of its own after getting to spend a weekend with it. Something that should be witnessed if not believed. The boat is not perfect and I have gripes with it just like any boat but the handling, Wakeboard and surf wakes were nothing to complain about. First class for sure.
Attached Images

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-01-2014, 5:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post
The SA handling when loaded with Ballast I felt was nothing special. It took forever to get on plane and anytime you turned it would wash out and take a while for the wake to form again. It felt the weight and made you have to drive accordingly. No different than my boat in that department. Just with the ASR when we demoed it did not handle like it had 3400 lbs of water in it and 5 people. So yes I do feel the asr is in a league of its own after getting to spend a weekend with it. Something that should be witnessed if not believed. The boat is not perfect and I have gripes with it just like any boat but the handling, Wakeboard and surf wakes were nothing to complain about. First class for sure.
BE A WITNESS!!!!!
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-01-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
Here in the NW you have a better chance of spotting Sasquatch than a ASR. Can't say I agree much with your review on the SA in fact you seem to be way off in my opinion. Since this s a G vs SA thread lets try to stick to that not a How great the Super Air ASR team edition is .... Just sold my SA to order a SE and thought my SA wake was great normally rode with a extra 750lbs on the floor and the boat drove amazing and the wake was a good as anything out there. As for the surf wake it was average at best I didn't have the swell system and was very short and steep just never really had a great surf wake. I spent some time on a G the other and they are very nice wake is great and they are what you would expect from Nautique. Im not a huge of the PCM power plant and just seems load and clunky. If your gonna consider a G23 then I would absolute take a look at the SE the boat is a monster and the raptor motor is extremely smooth and quite.
Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-01-2014, 6:33 PM Reply   
I would love the SE the only problem would be storage my shed is 24' deep and the SE is 24'6'' . I still plan on demoing a SA and possibly a SE if the price is a lot different than the G23 or G21
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       10-01-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
Price on the SE should be 10 to 15 cheaper when comparing similarly optioned boats
Old     (Gary)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-02-2014, 10:01 PM Reply   
Nice does anyone have a good video or pictures on a walk through of the Supra SE
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-02-2014, 10:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post
lets see that goofy wake.... was wondering when someone would mention Tige or MB lol
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-09-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
Here are a couple of the goofy wake. We were battling 40 mph winds with huge gusts which made for not such a fun day on the water.
Attached Images

Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-10-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
Goofy we tried the first day and spent least amount of time with as no one in our group surfs that wake. THese are shots with the CVX ('14 and the 15 is much better angle) stock ballast plus 4 people. I think we had 400lbs in the nose as well.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-10-2014, 7:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
I would love the SE the only problem would be storage my shed is 24' deep and the SE is 24'6'' . I still plan on demoing a SA and possibly a SE if the price is a lot different than the G23 or G21
PM sent.