Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-09-2011, 9:33 PM Reply   
This fall we bought a 2006 Moomba Mobius and I was wondering what wakesurf board would be good to go with it. Does anyone recommend this as a good boat to surf behind it? What is a good beginner-intermediate board that is also kind of a universal board for most people? Most of the people that will be using it will be about 6 foot or shorter and about 140-160 pounds. I am looking for a board that is good for beginners to learn but nobody will outgrow it in a year. One that is good enough for beginners to learn on, but keep using it until they become much more advanced. I've done some research and it looks like most people use the skim board style rather than the surfboard style, but I don't know which would be better. Any feedback or experiences are appreciated! Thanks!
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-10-2011, 6:05 AM Reply   
I have a 06 Xlv and it surf great. You might look on the Moomba forum for boat setup.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-11-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
Ok cool ours is a Mobius LSV. I forgot the LSV part in my post above, thought it would be good thing to add. I'm not too worried about the boat's wake-making abilities (I'm sure it's a good wakesurf boat). I'm more wondering about what board to get.

Last edited by generalkyle; 12-11-2011 at 4:03 PM.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       12-12-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Liquid Force Fish, variable sizes, has been a fairly popular beginner board. Its easy to ride, but also maneuverable enough to where you won't out grow it as quickly as some of the other options.
The Ronix Cortez is also a good board, much more surface area and a wide board which makes it super easy to surf with and very stable for people to learn on.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-12-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
Ok those look like good boards. I'm wondering about the size though. It looks like normal size is 4'6" to 5'6". What's good for 150 pound people? And what is the difference with the tails? There is 2 fins (fish tail) and then there is just a flat tail. What difference does that give the board?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-12-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
I have a hyperlite broadcast 4'10" board and i'm a beginner.I weigh 170 and it's fine to me.My wife has a Liquid Force Venture 5' board.It's easier to push down in the water but slower response on the wave.Either board would be okay to start on.I'M 52 and just learned how to surf this year.If i can learn anyone can learn.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
Dont get a wakeboard brand board. You will out-progress it in less than a season.

Pick up a Phase 5 Icon or Victoria Factor Small. They are 51" skim boards that work great for your size range and will let you progress to spins, shuvs, and airs.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-12-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Dont get a wakeboard brand board. You will out-progress it in less than a season.

Pick up a Phase 5 Icon or Victoria Factor Small. They are 51" skim boards that work great for your size range and will let you progress to spins, shuvs, and airs.
Yeah, I knew not to get wakeboard brands, but I didn't realize that Hyperlite and Ronix were both wakeboard brands.I know Phase 5 and Shred Stixx are wakesurf brands, I'm just not sure what's good for beginners. I'm still wondering what the tail difference does to the board too. It seems like the Hyperlite Broadcast is an incredibly popular board among beginners, but I don't think it has much room for advancement and I don't think it's something that I would be interested in. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by generalkyle; 12-12-2011 at 7:00 PM.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-12-2011, 7:46 PM Reply   
Check out Lakewakes boards . 55 wide might be good beginner-to-intermediate board that's real good quality board product and does nicely for beginners yet ability for progression into intermediate zone. Fins are changeable too which alters the ride depending on preference. its a custom board so a little pricier but well worth it.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-12-2011, 8:42 PM Reply   
From http://www.trickboardz.com/Safety/which_board.jsp: Single tip boards are difficult to surf backwards; they are not conducive to 180s and 540s. The first wakeboards and snowboards were single tip; you can't even buy one now. Trick Boardz introduced the world's first twin tip wake surfboard. Others will follow us; but we are already over a year ahead in research and development.

I would like to do 180s and 540s. I guess I don't know. I'm really clueless as to what I want.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2011, 9:57 PM Reply   
All skim style wakesurf boards will allow you to ride them backwards. So thats not a worry.

Look for a 51" Skim style board since your given weight range and your preference for a skim style board. Some boards have carbon fiber to make them faster and more responsive. Some have pin tails which are very responsive edge to edge, while others have swallow or diamond tails which are faster than pin tails, but not as responsive edge to edge.
I recommend finding a skim from one of the following brands that fits your budget.

Brands with good skim style boards:
Calibrated Wakesurfing (out of boards til spring)
Inland Surfer (out of skimstyle boards til spring)
Phase 5 (2012 boards are available now)
Triple X
Victoria Skimboards (the Factor and Factor Carbon are their only wakesurf models)
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 4:44 AM Reply   
Thank you that helps a lot.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       12-13-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
for beginners i have been a fan of the triple X Nitro board. It is a great all around board allowing beginners to ride it as a tri fin and more experience riders to run it as a twin fin setup. With the fin placement as a tri fin it is next to impossible to break loose and track nice and straight with a lot of hold in the make. This equals a stable board that surf very easily. As a twin it is considerably looser and you can start working on lip slides and getting your 360 dialed in.
All in all if you just want to get one high quality durable and light weigh board for a great price this is the board!

disclaimer... tripleX sponsors me.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
I'm thinking the Phase 5 Prop looks good. Here's the link: http://phase5boards.com/gear/prop/ Says its a good board for beginners. maximum weight is 190, that will give plenty of room for most people that want to ride it. But is there a minimum weight limit? Like I said, most people using this board will probably be 150-160 pounds. Does anyone recommend this board? Thanks.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmill View Post
for beginners i have been a fan of the triple X Nitro board. It is a great all around board allowing beginners to ride it as a tri fin and more experience riders to run it as a twin fin setup. With the fin placement as a tri fin it is next to impossible to break loose and track nice and straight with a lot of hold in the make. This equals a stable board that surf very easily. As a twin it is considerably looser and you can start working on lip slides and getting your 360 dialed in.
All in all if you just want to get one high quality durable and light weigh board for a great price this is the board!

That sounds like a great board too. There's many choices and so many boards. That's why I'm so torn on what's best for me and what to get.

Last edited by generalkyle; 12-13-2011 at 8:10 AM.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeskishop.com/index.php...6476b5a871a725 says:
The (Triple X) Nitro Pro X was developed with the aggressive surfer in mind. With the combination of advanced bottom concaves and the FCS thruster set up, the Nitro Pro X really delivers on maximum drive and big air. The Triple X newly developed XCELL foam core increases float and strength while maintaining a very lightweight board. This board is built for the experienced surfer but also offers beginners a challenging board with alot of room for advancement.

I do want a board that provides a lot of room for advancement, but will the board be too challenging for beginners to learn on? I don't want it to be too hard to learn, but like I said, I do want a board that has a lot of room for advancement.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-13-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
Kyle, the Triple X Nitro and Lakewakes are surf style boards. I dont think they read your post.

You can ride the Phase 5 Icon at 190lbs. The weight ranges are never really right. If you went up to the Prop you would be getting a board too big for your main riders which would limit their riding down the road. Im 150lbs and anything over 51" just feels too big when it comes to skim style boards. I learned on a bigger board, but as soon as I got to the right sized board I was able to progress much faster.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
Well, I don't really know what's better, skim boards or surf boards. I just figured since most people use skim boards, I would be better off with it. From research I've done, skim boards just looked like a better choice.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-13-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
Skim and Surf is a personal preference thing.

It depends on what you see your self wanting to do in the future.
Old     (ynoino)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-13-2011, 6:43 PM Reply   
I just started surfing this past spring and picked up a used Hyperlite Landlock on Craigslist for cheap. After a month or so I was ready for something better. I managed to find a Triple X Nitro on ebay at the end of summer and got it for a steal. I only was able to ride it one day at the end of the season but it was so much better. I tried it as a tri fin and it was extremely stable. As a twin, it was much more loose and I can do some slides and could see the potential for many more tricks once I actually learn how to do them. I got the 5'0 and I'm 170 and 6'3". Now I'm just looking forward to spring and getting back in the water.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 6:58 PM Reply   
There's no actual perfomance differences between the skim and surf styles? I guess I don't really care what I choose then if there isn't a difference.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 8:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynoino View Post
I just started surfing this past spring and picked up a used Hyperlite Landlock on Craigslist for cheap. After a month or so I was ready for something better. I managed to find a Triple X Nitro on ebay at the end of summer and got it for a steal. I only was able to ride it one day at the end of the season but it was so much better. I tried it as a tri fin and it was extremely stable. As a twin, it was much more loose and I can do some slides and could see the potential for many more tricks once I actually learn how to do them. I got the 5'0 and I'm 170 and 6'3". Now I'm just looking forward to spring and getting back in the water.
5 foot long board and you're 170 pounds? That's 60 inches. Mitch says that anything over 51" is too big for him and he's 150. Conflicting numbers?
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-13-2011, 8:55 PM Reply   
Ok, so I'd say I've probably got it narrowed down to the Triple X Nitro and the Phase 5 Icon. I've heard a couple of people speak on behalf of the Triple X Nitro but not the Phase 5 Icon. I really like the look of the Phase 5 boards but I don't really like the look of the Triple X Nitro. Does anyone recommend Phase 5, specifically the Icon? Pros, cons? Thanks everyone.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-13-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
There is a big difference between surf and skim. They are basically different sports.

In a nut shell
Surf: powerful turns, big air
very responsive, locked in

Skim: spins, shuvs, and air
free, mellow, floaty

It depends on what kind of riding you imagine yourself doing

I started out on skim and feel super awkward riding a surf style board, other feel the opposite, while some people can ride both (and I am very jealous of them)

The sizing between surf style boards and skim boards are different.
For skim you would want a 51", for surf you would want a 4'6" - 4'8"
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-14-2011, 4:37 AM Reply   
So I should almost get both a skim board and a surf board so I can see what we all prefer? Maybe I'll be a skim but the rest of my family is a surf. Or vice versa. Or maybe both. I really would like to get the most I can out of this sport, so I would like to see what I prefer. You said you started out on a skim and felt awkward riding a surf because of it. If you rode surf enough would you get more comfortable doing it? To the point where you could do both skim and surf?

Last edited by generalkyle; 12-14-2011 at 4:42 AM.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
I wanted to ride surf better so I forced myself to ride only surf for a few months, but I never felt really comfortable. It wasnt very fun for me. When I finally got back on a skim it felt more natural. But this is MY experience. I am pretty sure that is rare.

I feel like I'm confusing you more than anything. Just go with your gut. Either way you will have a great time. Wakesurfing is a lot of fun.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-14-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
So yay or nay on the surf and skim board idea? Would it be a good idea orjust a waste of money? Thanks for all your help Mitch.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
For a surf style board that is worth your time, it would be at least $450, and that is for a Triple X or a used board from another brand. New they are generally $600-800.

At that point it depends if you want to spend the money on both. It is ideal to have both, but cost is obviously a factor.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-14-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Get this board, price is right and it will fit a wide range of riders:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr....0.0.0.0?pp=8&
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-14-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Get this board, price is right and it will fit a wide range of riders:

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr....0.0.0.0?pp=8&
That's a Liquid Force. I'm not getting a wakeboard brand.

So I guess I can look for both skim and surf boards and if there's a good deal on one I can get it, but I don't know what boards are good yet. I still like the Phase 5 Icon (maximum weight 155), but I don't know if it's a good board or not. I think it's what I'm looking for, but I don't know for sure.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-14-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Phase 5 are very popular skim boards and rightly so. They are a quality made product produced out of Florida. The Icon is on the lower end of the spectrum for their products, but still a good skim board for behind the boat. The Triple X nitro is based on the Mike Doyle Custom BGR, which was copied by a manufacture in Florida, and shipped overseas for production. It is fundamentally a simple board and designed as a price point board. I probably wouldn't be so quick to judge a board from a traditional wakeboard company. That is they are not nearly all the same and should not be lumped into one category. Sure, some are not even worth a fraction of their cost, but others are pretty good. Phase 5 and Victoria are based on ocean skim boards and produced by traditional ocean skim board companies.

As for a surf style (skims have been discussed quite extensively here) board for your height and weight:
Choose a 4'6" to 4"11' board. I won't mention any traditional wakeboard company brands since you already mentioned you do not want one.
Shred Stixx Thresher, Triple X Nitro, Inland sweet spot. All of these board are produced overseas (Shred Stixx offers a USA made Thresher as well), if that makes a difference. The Shred Stixx is closest to a traditional surfboard in form and function, the Inland is on the other end of the spectrum, with the Triple X in between. The Triple X is the cheapest, followed by the Shred Stixx and then the Inland.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-14-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post

The sizing between surf style boards and skim boards are different.
For skim you would want a 51", for surf you would want a 4'6" - 4'8"
http://www.shadeonme.com/products/Ic...rf-Boards.html says: The Icon is a Phase Five Wakesurf Boards Original Design since day one! Built to be an all around board. The Icon delivers a class leading beginner board that will be fast and maneuverable even in your advance stage. A specialized rail and rocker that has been the standard at which others make there “Pro Models” after. If you’re thinking twice about buying it your thinking too much. Dimensions: 51" x 20" Fin: Small 1" Single Fin Max Rider Weight: 155 LBS

Sounds pretty much perfect. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
The Icon is on the lower end of the spectrum for their products, but still a good skim board for behind the boat.
Thank you for all the information.

What do you mean the Icon is on the lower end of the spectrum? Like they have better boards?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2011, 10:38 PM Reply   
Phase 5 under estimates their boards' weight capacities. You can easily ride that board up to 190lbs.
The Icon/Prop/Razz/Oogle series is their lower line of boards but still amazing quality. Their upper end is the Drew Pro Carbon and Drew Diamond Series. These boards are carbon fiber making them super stiff and responsive. They are also built a bit different making them faster. You would be totally fine on them starting out, but they are a bit more expensive.

California Marine Sports has a brand new 2011 Phase 5 Drew Pro Carbon on clearance for $465. A new Icon is $411, so that drew pro carbon is a great deal. A 2012 is $640

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Phase-F...item3f08f3542d
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-15-2011, 4:53 AM Reply   
Are the Drew Pro Carbon and Drew Diamond Series good beginner or advanced boards? phase5boards.com says that the Diamond Drew says, “this board has a lot of bite when riding down the wave and pumping, but will break free with little effort for the big spinning tricks.”

But it says that the Pro Carbon is a perfect board. Would this be a good board? Maximum weight for both small boards is 165.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-15-2011, 5:35 PM Reply   
http://www.phase5boards.com/gear/icon/ says: Designed for the lean mean beginner as well as the most advanced rider.

http://www.evo.com/wake-surfboards/p...-board-43.aspx says: Phase Five Icon Wakesurf Board 4'3" 2012: Since day one, the Phase Five Icon Wakesurf Board has been built for everyone from the newbie to the most advanced rider.

It's good for everyone's riding abilities and it's the right size, 51". I think it's a good choice, but I'm still new at looking at boards.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2011, 5:36 PM Reply   
do not pay too much attention the the weight range. a 51" will work fine for up to 190lbs with a good wake. I know this from experience

The Drew Pro Carbon and Diamond are great boards. They are faster and more responsive than the Icon. They are the top skim boards out there, but they are no harder to ride than a basic skim like the Icon, victoria, or Inland Surfer black pearl.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-15-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
So are you saying I should get the Drew Carbon Pro or Diamond? They fit my criteria?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2011, 11:36 PM Reply   
Both boards would work great for you. at this point you wouldnt really know the difference between the two until later on. but both shred. If I were you I would pick up the closeout 2011 Drew Pro Carbon since its the same shape as the 2012 but way cheaper.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-16-2011, 4:21 AM Reply   
Awesome. Thanks for all your help Mitch.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmill View Post

My wife has the triple X Nitro and I could not agree with this post more. She rides it with three fins and likes the stability of it. When I can sneak it from her, I take out the center fin and ride it as a dual fin set up. It's still fairly stable but not so stable that you can't carve on it more. And if you ask me, for the price you cannot beat it, hands down. For your size, I would get the smallest size they make in it.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-16-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
Kyle, when referring to the 'lower' end it is price/materials. Boards with carbon fiber integrated into their design cost more due to the high price of the carbon fiber and basically more labor time to deal with it. The Icon and Prop are good boards, but they are not as aggressive or oriented more towards ridding a wake as much the DD. The Props and Icon share a bit more in common with their ocean born brethren, and go back to some of the original Zaps that were re-branded under the Phase 5 label. Any of these boards mentioned in the various past posts will serve you and your friend well. If you feel you have out grown it in a year, great, then you are progressing and you still have a board for your friends to ride, when you have moved on to a premium board.... Also, progression is only 10% the board, it is 90% the rider.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       12-22-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Red Woody from Inland Surfer is a great beginner to expert board. It's big though, at 5' 6". This years model is called the Red Rocket, but it's the same board. I get noob's up on it right away.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-23-2011, 6:58 AM Reply   
The Red Woody and Red Rocket are not the same board.

Kyle, you're getting recommendations that are all over the place. From your original post, I assume you've never wakesurfed before and that nobody in your posse has either. Your boat is surfable, but will require extra weight. The rule of thumb: the more weight you can add, the better.

As far as boards go, you need to get a beginner board, period. Unless you want to struggle and potentially have others in your gang dislike wakesurfing, you need to start out with a basic beginner board to be able to understand the dynamics of it all. If you do this, you'll progress 10x faster than if you run out and get a Drew Carbon Pro. Learning to wakesurf is not easy, so don't make it more difficult than it needs to be. Nice beginner boards would be a CWB Ride or a Red Rocket or a Blue Lake or a 5' Triple X Nitro. You could probably find a CWB Ride on Craigslist for cheap.

As far as the comparrison between surf and skim goes, there are a great many of differences. Surf boards are for those that like to carve big, spin and jump. Skims are for skateboarders that like to do shovits and spin beyond 3s. A skim with a single fin is the absolute wrong board for any beginner.

Skim boards (with multiple fins) are easier to get up on and fit into a wakeboard rack. Surf boards tend to create a larger pocket to learn in, so I prefer to teach others with a surf style board. Most wakesurfers would prefer a surf style board over a skim style board, if given equal opportunity. You only see more skim boards because that's what the wakeboard manufacturers make.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-23-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post

Kyle, you're getting recommendations that are all over the place. From your original post, I assume you've never wakesurfed before and that nobody in your posse has either. Your boat is surfable, but will require extra weight. The rule of thumb: the more weight you can add, the better.

As far as boards go, you need to get a beginner board, period. Unless you want to struggle and potentially have others in your gang dislike wakesurfing, you need to start out with a basic beginner board to be able to understand the dynamics of it all. If you do this, you'll progress 10x faster than if you run out and get a Drew Carbon Pro. Learning to wakesurf is not easy, so don't make it more difficult than it needs to be. Nice beginner boards would be a CWB Ride or a Red Rocket or a Blue Lake or a 5' Triple X Nitro. You could probably find a CWB Ride on Craigslist for cheap.

As far as the comparrison between surf and skim goes, there are a great many of differences. Surf boards are for those that like to carve big, spin and jump. Skims are for skateboarders that like to do shovits and spin beyond 3s. A skim with a single fin is the absolute wrong board for any beginner.

Skim boards (with multiple fins) are easier to get up on and fit into a wakeboard rack. Surf boards tend to create a larger pocket to learn in, so I prefer to teach others with a surf style board. Most wakesurfers would prefer a surf style board over a skim style board, if given equal opportunity. You only see more skim boards because that's what the wakeboard manufacturers make.
Tuneman, I'll respectfully disagree with blanket skim with a single fin statement. The Phase Five Scamp is their grom board, and we've had very very very good luck teaching lightweights to surf on that board with just a single fin. It's only rated for 80 lbs, but I can ride it too @ 165 if I'm willing to get my pump on (not a great beginner board for heavies).

I'd think a bigger skim like the phase 5 prop or oogle would do just fine as a beginner board, ASSUMING RIDERS UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF EDGING. Those boards will do just fine if you see that you have to edge into the wake. Some people just don't get that at all, and want to ride the board flat. For them a surf style board with a whole bunch of fin surface area is a must. In that vein, the IS blue lake is probably the easiest board to ride (though it surfs like a barn door and isn't very fun), and is my go to teaching board for spazzy folks 140lbs+.

Part of it comes down to the spaz factor -- for people who are total spazzes, a big slow stable board is a must. A lot of my family friends fit this category, I've learned. For people with some boardsports history or decent athletic prowess, even if they've never wakesurfed, a more performance oriented board may be OK. I'm not a spaz and have skated and snowboarded for decades before getting behind a boat. I progressed past the big slow log boards in about a month of weekends on the boat. Friends of mine have been coming with us for way longer than that and still have trouble even getting their fat lazy asses up out of the water.

So when deciding whether to get a "pure" beginner board or a more advanced one, you also need to take a look in the mirror and decide whether or not you are a spaz.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 12-23-2011 at 9:19 AM.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-27-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
Heres an idea, get both...surf and skim. I have both and ride both. 2 different styles, both loads of fun! I think everyone should have both boards on the boat, this way everyone is happy to give you gas money! LOL
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-27-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
Not to hijack this but im 210 pounds, does size matter for me?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-27-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
you will need at least a board 4’ 8”. you might be able to ride a shorter one, but ideally you would feel real comfy on a 5’ 0” IMO
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-27-2011, 5:15 PM Reply   
another view is you can buy both styles to try out & figure it out then sell one on craigslist later . won't get all your money back but can do ok since its so tuff to get demos unless friends have boards too. We've done that twice now. i'm 250 and surf w Walker Project Bazooka 5.1 and I like that board. Its surf style and works well. We've had good luck w Lakewakes too. I agree with comments of Tuneman too. Good luck.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-27-2011, 11:03 PM Reply   
Quote:

Yes, I am getting recommendations all over the place. That's why I've been so confused during this whole discussion. You are correct; I nor anyone with me have ever wakesurfed before and yes my boat is surfable and we do have ballast to make a bigger wake. I understand that I need a beginner board. My problem is that I feel like you are exaggerating boards slightly. I don't mind if it takes me a little bit longer to learn on a board that isn't a complete beginner board. I would rather take a little bit longer to learn than have to go out and buy multiple boards as I progress. Like I stated in my original post, I want a universal board that I can learn on and will be able to keep using until I become much more advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Part of it comes down to the spaz factor -- for people who are total spazzes, a big slow stable board is a must. A lot of my family friends fit this category, I've learned. For people with some boardsports history or decent athletic prowess, even if they've never wakesurfed, a more performance oriented board may be OK. I'm not a spaz and have skated and snowboarded for decades before getting behind a boat. I progressed past the big slow log boards in about a month of weekends on the boat. Friends of mine have been coming with us for way longer than that and still have trouble even getting their fat lazy asses up out of the water.

So when deciding whether to get a "pure" beginner board or a more advanced one, you also need to take a look in the mirror and decide whether or not you are a spaz.
Well, we always make sure that before anyone learns to wakeboard, they know how to water ski. We will probably make sure that everyone knows how to wakeboard before learning how to wakesurf too, although we probably won't have anyone in the boat that doesn't know how to wakeboard. And the people that don't know how to wakeboard will just be there to ride, not to surf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Heres an idea, get both...surf and skim. I have both and ride both. 2 different styles, both loads of fun! I think everyone should have both boards on the boat, this way everyone is happy to give you gas money! LOL
Yes, getting both surf and skim would be ideal. I would love to have both skim and surf and let everyone else do both as well. But obviously cost is a factor. Maybe as we get more in to it we will look into getting more. If we were rich I would definitely have my assortment of wakeboards, surfboards, wakeskates, and everything else lol!
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-28-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalkyle View Post
Yes, I am getting recommendations all over the place. That's why I've been so confused during this whole discussion. You are correct; I nor anyone with me have ever wakesurfed before and yes my boat is surfable and we do have ballast to make a bigger wake. I understand that I need a beginner board. My problem is that I feel like you are exaggerating boards slightly. I don't mind if it takes me a little bit longer to learn on a board that isn't a complete beginner board. I would rather take a little bit longer to learn than have to go out and buy multiple boards as I progress. Like I stated in my original post, I want a universal board that I can learn on and will be able to keep using until I become much more advanced.
Then I think the best board for you will be a Triple X Nitro

-Reasonably priced
-Easier board to learn from and can get advanced with different fin arrangements
-Surf style for a larger pocket to learn in

The 5' board will be the easiest to learn on and still provide great performance. However, you could probably get by with the 4'8".
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       12-28-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
The Red Rocket is the 2011/2012 version of the Red Woody. Same board size, shape, color. Not sure how some think it's a different board.
Anyway, it's a great board to learn on and can surf a small or large wake. It's a big board at 5'6" though
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-28-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Then I think the best board for you will be a Triple X Nitro

-Reasonably priced
-Easier board to learn from and can get advanced with different fin arrangements
-Surf style for a larger pocket to learn in

The 5' board will be the easiest to learn on and still provide great performance. However, you could probably get by with the 4'8".
This site says that the Triple X Nitro Pro X Krylon is built for the experienced surfer but also offers beginners a challenging board with alot of room for advancement. Sounds like a perfect surf style board. What skim board would you recommend?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-28-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
That's actually my site. So, thanks for the plug

For a single fin skim that's not overly agressive, but almost any ability level could be comfy on, I'd recommend a Phase 5 Prop or Triple X Composite Pro. An ideal board is the Inland Surfer Infectious. You can put up to 3 fins on it for the beginner. All three boards are very fast.
Old     (generalkyle)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-28-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
That's actually my site. So, thanks for the plug

For a single fin skim that's not overly agressive, but almost any ability level could be comfy on, I'd recommend a Phase 5 Prop or Triple X Composite Pro. An ideal board is the Inland Surfer Infectious. You can put up to 3 fins on it for the beginner. All three boards are very fast.
Actually, we talked about the Phase 5 Prop earlier and how it's too big for my riders. I think a Phase Icon would be more ideal for us. Do you really think that the Danielo Pro Carbon would be too hard to learn on?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-28-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
You are overthinking this man. Prop vs. icon is not going to be much difference at all, especially for beginners, except that the prop will be a bit more stable. But just a bit. Err'ing on the side of big is OK.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-28-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
I ride a Phase Five Prop and it's a fun board. I definitely prefer skim over surf. It might be that my experience with wakeboarding and snowboarding makes skim riding feel more natural than surf. We put a Rainbow surf dog fin on my old Prop, to teach beginners. It helps them keep the board pointing straight and it's easier to keep up with the boat. You have to drill out the fin holes to make the Rainbow fin fit but I have an old Prop that I don't ride anymore.
My new board is a Calibrated Piscus. I can't wait to try it out. I rode one at the Polar Bear Demo Event and loved it, so my husband bought one for Christmas.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2011, 10:49 PM Reply   
First off, a 5'6" board like the red rocket is waay too big for someone who is 140-160lbs.

Learning on a Drew Pro Carbon is no different than learning on a Prop or Icon. The difference will be felt down the road when you start learning harder maneuvers. I teach plenty of people on "advanced" skim style boards and they work fine, especially for your weight range.

Surf style riding is the majority on wakewold. And most people are hesitant to think a single fin skim is something a beginner can ride. But many people actually do start out like that.

Everyone has their bias when giving recommendations. I definitely do. But when you came on here saying you were interested in skim style riding and weighed between 140-160 with a good wake, that is what I based my recommendation on. I wasnt trying to push anything that wouldnt work well for you.