Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-08-2014, 6:10 PM Reply   
Don't you get sick of the weasel-like "May Contain Up To 10% Ethanol" labels on gas pumps? Either you are selling ethanol or you're not.

This is the proper way to label gas!
Attached Images

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-08-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
The marina I get gas at the lake has a sign that says something to the effect of "Pure gasoline with MTBE, no ethanol. Delivered from Canada" (of all places, you can get real gas from Canada but not in the States). Often through the summer they'll run out and it'll be a few days before they get their tanks filled again. The other two places on the lake that have gas are more expensive and are 10% ethanol, but always have gas as far as I've noticed. I couldn't believe one summer gas at the MTBE marina was cheaper than 10% ethanol at regular gas stations. The cans I bring to fill in town and put cheaper gas in the boat I was bringing in the boat to fill and put in the truck!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-08-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
I run the 10% during the regular season, and then switch to 100% gas at end of season. That way when the boat is stored it is all gas..
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       07-08-2014, 11:14 PM Reply   
I drove west one time through Iowa and some other stupidly ugly corn infested states. I remember stopping at a gas station and asked if they have any ethanol treatment for the gas. He looked completely dumbfounded and said something along the lines of. Boy the treatment is in the gas already. And out there it doesn't say may contain up to 10% ethanol it says something like "enriched with ethanol". But when the federal government subsidizes most of your economy, I guess you'll buy the propaganda too. I'm surprised there isn't HFCS in the gas as well. We ought a be subsidizing hemp fuels not this garbage.

On a side note, how come the pumps never say, May contain x% water that will cause your truck not to run and leave you stranded at your house in the middle of a snow storm. Yea they never say that ****.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-08-2014, 11:50 PM Reply   
Is there any non-ethanol gas anywhere near Sacramento?
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-09-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
www.pure-gas.org ........................
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-09-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
What is your take on this video?

I had a customer in the Ethanol business send it to me a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=yNk4Am3K7Hg
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-09-2014, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salister View Post
I drove west one time through Iowa and some other stupidly ugly corn infested states.

people who live on the east coast are sooooooo cool.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-09-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
Ethanol = raises octane rating reducing costs in exchange for power, efficiency, and longevity of your fuel related engine parts
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-09-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
Ethanol BTU < Gasoline BTU so I'm not sure efficiency is something ethanol can ever claim.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-09-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Ethanol = raises octane rating reducing costs in exchange for power, efficiency, and longevity of your fuel related engine parts
MTBE does the same thing but without being corrosive to many metals, attracting water, causing phase separation, or significantly lowering the BTU content per volume of the final product. When MTBE was outlawed here that meant the end of 94 octane pump gas and the beginning of lower octane ethanol gas.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-10-2014, 4:23 PM Reply   
Here's the label next to my gas cap. This is why I only use gas that is clearly labeled as ethanol free.
Attached Images

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
The farmers sure love the ethanol. I wonder what they really put in their equipment.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-11-2014, 11:38 AM Reply   
I'm guessing Diesel.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       07-11-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
Government is the biggest weasel at the gas pump.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-11-2014, 9:04 PM Reply   
Here's a map from the EPA web-site which shows where RFG (reformulated gas / ethanol) is required. Retailers in a lot of the country sell 10% ethanol even in unshaded areas. All retailers should clearly label what they are selling and never use a label that says their gas "may" contain up to 10% ethanol. I want to know what I am buying and I appreciate retailers who make it clear.
Attached Images