Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       02-22-2018, 8:42 AM Reply   
Check this out
https://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-...hio-80950.aspx
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-22-2018, 9:33 AM Reply   
Wow, just what another deisel mechanic wake boat owner would want. If I was that guy, I’m in
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-22-2018, 9:48 AM Reply   
Jesus man. Thing probably makes like 800 lb ft.

Sent to my buddy... idk if he has 45k laying around but Jesus
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-22-2018, 9:53 AM Reply   
I love the idea, but why oh why did he not put the factory dash and throttle housing back on?
That throttle mount looks hideous, only to be outdone by where the center seat should go.
Also quite interesting is that non of the exhaust is water jacketed. Doubt it is water injected either.

I have thought it would be awesome to do a cummins swap but that would be much easier since they are already installed in marine applications so no re-inventing the wheel.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-22-2018, 10:03 AM Reply   
damn! sounds like it was done right. although a lot of computer controlled stuff.... agree cummins would've been a better fit

Last edited by denverd1; 02-22-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-22-2018, 10:16 AM Reply   
I'd be more concerned about the lack of a water cooled turbos and piping........ especially with twins. Wrapping them helps, but that's kind of a duck tape solution to that heat issue.....
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-22-2018, 10:40 AM Reply   
Are those not oil cooled turbos? Maybe I don’t know enough about diesels, does this motor use a cooled headifold rather than straight manifold? Heat management is probably a concern as with any swap but I don’t see any big indication from the pics that it would be a huge issue.

It has a water to air IC, which is way more efficient than air to air IC.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-22-2018, 11:01 AM Reply   
Like eric said, no water cooled manifolds or turbo's means you have piping that will be running 600-1k degree's inside of your boat with only a bit of insulation tape covering it.
Recipe for disaster along with being illegal if I remember correctly.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-22-2018, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Are those not oil cooled turbos? Maybe I don’t know enough about diesels, does this motor use a cooled headifold rather than straight manifold? Heat management is probably a concern as with any swap but I don’t see any big indication from the pics that it would be a huge issue.

It has a water to air IC, which is way more efficient than air to air IC.
Cowwboy pretty much covered it....... but ya, the exhaust manifolds and turbine housing are not water cooled, and they should be. The turbine housing gets red hot under load, and every marinized diesel I have ever seen, has an integrated cooling jacket on the manifolds and turbine housing.

Yes, the center bearings are oil cooled/lubricated, but that doesn't relate to the issue I am talking about. Same with the charge cooler..... neither of those are going to help the heat issue outside of the engine..... same reason the exhaust manifolds are cooled on a normal N/A engine, only in a turbo engine, the turbine housing needs to also be cooled, because they can't introduce water into the exhaust stream pre-turbo.